• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I’m looking to trade my current firearm for a handgun but I’m not sure what’s the best for concealed carry. And suggestions or tips help

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Find a range that has a rental wall. Ask before you go whether you can switch guns during your range time. Some ranges allow you to trade out and try different guns during your hour. If they say no, find another range that does.

Go to that range and try shooting various quality guns from the rental wall. You will find one that feels good in your hand and naturally points. Others you might not shoot well at all.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Find a range that has a rental wall. Ask before you go whether you can switch guns during your range time. Some ranges allow you to trade out and try different guns during your hour. If they say no, find another range that does.

Go to that range and try shooting various quality guns from the rental wall. You will find one that feels good in your hand and naturally points. Others you might not shoot well at all.
    This is what I’ll end up doing, thanks for the info!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is what I’ll end up doing, thanks for the info!
    And if your local range doesnt have something you want to try, reach out here. Lots of good folks here that might have what you want and would be willing to meet you at the range to give it a spin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glock 19/17 is THE most popular self defense pistol out there, period. THE most carried by law enforcement, private carriers and firearms trainers. Unrivaled in available magazines, components and carry gear.

I chose Glock for this reason years back, when moving to a modern polymer pistol. Never found a reason to specialize further.

IMHO, everyone should learn how to be effective with the most popular platform out there. You can specialize later, should you choose.

:twocents:

Last edited:

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I think the Walther PDP is the new hotness. They say the PDP F-Series in 3.5 inches is great for concealed carry.

I've been carrying an FN 509 Compact, which I find a lot better than other options if you want something optics ready.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Trying them out is food advice. Sig P365 and Glock 19 are too small for my hands. Glock 17 and P365XL and Macro fit well. Make sure you like the grip angle and it points naturally for you. Consider if you want a manual safety or not.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    IMHO, everyone should learn how to be effective with the most popular platforms out there. You can specialize, if you choose, later.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice. I fully intend to use this excuse reason when my wife finds out what happened on Gunbroker this weekend.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...if you want something optics ready.

IMHO, any pistol bought from here forward should have the optics ready (MOS for Glock) option.

You don't have to use optics, but the option for future use shouldn't be ignored. Whether you ever use optics or not, resale value will reflect the option.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    IMHO, any pistol bought from here forward should have the optics ready (MOS for Glock) option.

You don't have to use optics, but the option for future use shouldn't be ignored. Whether you ever use optics or not, resale value will reflect the option.

it is the year of our lord 2023 and not having a optics ready model in your line up is just not smart...I'm still waiting on concealable CZs that are out the box ready with optics cuts...sending it in to get milled takes time and money no one would give up if there's alternatives

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Try Kodiak Gun Shop and Range on the South Side of South Bend. I took my daughter there to test-fire pistols. I think it $25 or $30 for an hour. Change guns as often as you like. The big catch is: YOU HAVE TO USE THEIR AMMO IN THEIR GUNS. And their ammo prices are nothing short of ridiculous. All in all, cheaper than buying a bunch of guns and reselling them. One idea: shoot all the same caliber every trip. 1 hour shooting a few 9mm, next time try some .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. You get the idea. IIRC, they have an impressive array of 9mm rental guns. I rented a Glock 21. I bought one the next day. I love that gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’m looking to trade my current firearm for a handgun but I’m not sure what’s the best for concealed carry. And suggestions or tips help
    What do you have today, and why isn't it a carry possibility for you?(May or may not be obvious depending on what it is).
    This info will help us help you.

Top Bottom