• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I’d go a step further and say don’t buy anything chambered in .40. When I was subcontracting for DHS I had access to as much 165 grain HST as I could shoot. After shooting the course of fire with multiple firearms chambered in that round, I settled on a G23. The moment I transferred, the gun went up for sale. They’ve since switched back to 9mm along with most agencies. The round is becoming obsolete, which is why they’re dirt cheap.
    I’ve previously had the g2c chambered in .40 and I gotta agree. The 9mm shot and handled way better. But I’m more leaning towards a bigger, and heavier handgun. I have large hands and normal size pistols are super uncomfortable to shoot.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    How about a good used 1911 for your first gun ?
    While it won’t be my first gun, I was originally looking for a decent 1911 before I made this post. Mainly because the slimmer more compact guns just don’t feel right in my hand so they’re awkward to shoot. But the bulky kinda thick ones give an all around better experience.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’ve previously had the g2c chambered in .40 and I gotta agree. The 9mm shot and handled way better. But I’m more leaning towards a bigger, and heavier handgun. I have large hands and normal size pistols are super uncomfortable to shoot.
    Well my first handgun would certainly fit the bill. It was a Ruger P89. If you run out of bullets, you can beat someone to death with it. You’ll definitely need the suspenders though.

Last edited:

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Well my first handgun would certainly fit the bill. It was a Ruger P89. If you run out of bullets, you can beat someone to death with it. You’ll definitely need the suspenders though.
    I’ve shot the p89. It was a great gun but suspenders would definitely be a necessity

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for staying away from 40. From a guy who drank the Kool Aid back in the day. I've seen the error of my ways.

There is no good reason to choose 40 over 9 except when there are runs on ammo, 40 tends to be the last to go. And 9mm has come a long way in 20 years, so there is no serious performance advantage.

If you want bigger than 9, go 45 or 10mm. Skip the "10mm short" :):

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Another vote for staying away from 40. From a guy who drank the Kool Aid back in the day. I've seen the error of my ways.

There is no good reason to choose 40 over 9 except when there are runs on ammo, 40 tends to be the last to go. And 9mm has come a long way in 20 years, so there is no serious performance advantage.

If you want bigger than 9, go 45 or 10mm. Skip the "10mm short" :):
    Thanks for the advice, while I’ve always felt 40 was no better than 9 the main reason I put that above 9mm is just for hand comfort. I know there’s performance differences between the calipers but they feel about the same when I shoot. But based off of your statement I’ll start looking into some 45 or 10mm. any suggestions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the advice, while I’ve always felt 40 was no better than 9 the main reason I put that above 9mm is just for hand comfort. I know there’s performance differences between the calipers but they feel about the same when I shoot. But based off of your statement I’ll start looking into some 45 or 10mm. any suggestions?
    Is there a particular reason you are avoiding 9 mm? It is a more than adequate round, and in a large frame handgun you can get a lot more rounds out of it.

You can go big without switching to a larger caliber.

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Last time I was in the store the shield plus caught my eye and I’m pretty sure it was only about 650-700
    That's pushing up into S&W Performance Center price range, and I paid significantly less than that for my Shield Plus 3.1" PC (which I'm really happy with) - Currently a standard non-optic cut Shield Plus is available for $400 @ Range, with optics ready still south of $500.

Honestly, there's a low round count optics ready Shield Plus PC ported with the 4" barrel for sale in the Ingo classifieds for $550 from a longtime member with an extremely good reputation (gotta go 4 or 5 pages deep, but it's there). Seems like a no-brainer to me given everything you've said in this thread. I'd have snatched it up no hesitation had I not been set on the 3.1" barrel.

I'd link it, but I'm not sure if I can do that per forum rules?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's pushing up into S&W Performance Center price range, and I paid significantly less than that for my Shield Plus 3.1" PC (which I'm really happy with) - Currently a standard non-optic cut Shield Plus is available for $400 @ Range, with optics ready still south of $500.

Honestly, there's a low round count optics ready Shield Plus PC ported with the 4" barrel for sale in the Ingo classifieds for $550 from a longtime member with an extremely good reputation (gotta go 4 or 5 pages deep, but it's there). Seems like a no-brainer to me given everything you've said in this thread. I'd have snatched it up no hesitation had I not been set on the 3.1" barrel.

I'd link it, but I'm not sure if I can do that per forum rules?
    Shouldn't be an issue to link it generally, however OP is not yet qualified via either post count or Site Supporter status yet to use the classifieds.

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Shouldn't be an issue to link it generally, however OP is not yet qualified via either post count or Site Supporter status yet to use the classifieds.
    Thanks. I didn't think it'd be an issue, but being unsure figured I'd better err on the side of caution haha. I like it here and ain't trying to shoot myself in the foot out of ignorance :draw:

Top Bottom