Women are nearly half the new gun owners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nothing wrong with a snub nose. I carry one myself. That one is a lot better looking and the custom grips look like they make it easy to handle.
    I'd rather have a good snub nosed S&W .38 than some of the new fangled stuff on the market...
    Having a grip that fits my hand comfortably...priceless!

Reactions: Leo

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I know a woman that told her boyfriend that she would not own a gun unless it was small, pink and had a red dot. So last week he gifted her a pink SCCY with red dot in 9mm. She has already signed up for a training class.
    Dude was smart enough to take the hint! And that's why so many manufacturers are making so many different colored pistols...Charter Arms, Glock, Ruger, SCCY, etc...so they can provide something that is appealing to nearly every shooter!

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Both daughters and my wife know how to properly handle a firearm and are all good shots. Only the oldest daughter will actually carry one, and that is probably due to a couple of life experiences; one where she did not have a gun that did not end so well for her, and the second where she did have a gun that turned out better for her.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Both daughters and my wife know how to properly handle a firearm and are all good shots. Only the oldest daughter will actually carry one, and that is probably due to a couple of life experiences; one where she did not have a gun that did not end so well for her, and the second where she did have a gun that turned out better for her.
    Sadly, one's personal experience(s) often shapes one's thinking...as good, as bad, or as ugly as it might be!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I know a woman that told her boyfriend that she would not own a gun unless it was small, pink and had a red dot. So last week he gifted her a pink SCCY with red dot in 9mm. She has already signed up for a training class.

My experience men picking the gun out for OR picking a gun just on color is a bad practice. I see a lot of women in the classes and the women's only classes are us usually full and thenones with the lets say less than name brand colored guns have issues.

We have pulled Sigs, Glocks and S&Ws off the rental rack just so they can get through the class

Nothing pains an instructor in having to tell them they or their husband waisted money on a not so good product.

And if they are that set on a color guide them towards a quality gun and get it duracoted/cerecoted.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    My experience men picking the gun out for OR picking a gun just on color is a bad practice. I see a lot of women in the classes and the women's only classes are us usually full and thenones with the lets say less than name brand colored guns have issues.

We have pulled Sigs, Glocks and S&Ws off the rental rack just so they can get through the class

Nothing pains an instructor in having to tell them they or their husband waisted money on a not so good product.

And if they are that set on a color guide them towards a quality gun and get it duracoted/cerecoted.
    I don't disagree.

But she made the comment about size and color because she thought it was a safe excuse to not own a gun.

He called her bluff.

When she and I 'talked' about guns about 6 months ago she said she would never own a gun. Didn't mind going to range and shooting. Wasn't against her boyfriend having guns.

Reliability? I don't know.

I think it will be more that she isn't going to like it because it is too snappy.

I find that women think that the smaller the gun the easier it will be to shoot. They don't realize that light and small equals a lot of felt recoil.

Waste of money? Depends on the motivation to spend it. I don't think so. She is now a gun owner. She is now getting training, rather than just going shooting. She intends to get a gun vault to keep it in so her 5yo doesn't have easy access.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't disagree.

But she made the comment about size and color because she thought it was a safe excuse to not own a gun.

He called her bluff.

When she and I 'talked' about guns about 6 months ago she said she would never own a gun. Didn't mind going to range and shooting. Wasn't against her boyfriend having guns.

Reliability? I don't know.

I think it will be more that she isn't going to like it because it is too snappy.

I find that women think that the smaller the gun the easier it will be to shoot. They don't realize that light and small equals a lot of felt recoil.

Waste of money? Depends on the motivation to spend it. I don't think so. She is now a gun owner. She is now getting training, rather than just going shooting. She intends to get a gun vault to keep it in so her 5yo doesn't have easy access.
    I mean this respectfully and just discussing what my experience as someone that teaches an array of classes. SCCY and smaller Rugers and the S&W 380 bodyguard as well as a number of Taurus have been horible on dependability and shootability.

Usually its the husband/male figure in their life that picks it out as the example was. I get it I really do its better than a fist or car keys in a hand but woman like to humor men so they shut up. Sometimes it backfires on the women (half sarcastically as someone married for 36 years I say firearms and sex are the 2 main issues woman humor us on that backfires on them LOL)

As for added equipment specific3Red Dot Sights. I have seen a number of shooters have issues with red dots (both on local classes as well as a Handgun Combatives class I attended) as it takes a couple thousand rounds for folks to get it down. Is that something most women will commit to???? Probably not

Any gun is better than no gun as long as she gets serious on a class and a few range sessions a year but sadly most won't touch it again.

Again respectfully just discussing what I have seen and not throwing darts at anyone.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In all my years of Training, Women and Pre Teen Children get the safety message much quicker and more thoroughly practiced than an equal number of men. Just saying.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know far too many people that bought a handgun based on a magazine article. It is almost as if the article was not paid for by the maker. I am not talking about cheapies, but top shelf pistols. Then they cannot cock it, or cannot shoot it, or it hurts their hand. This is men and women.

I always recommend going to a range that has rental handguns before a purchase. Say you shoot 4 handguns that day and spend $60 or $80 on rental. That is still less than you will loose if you buy a pistol you cannot shoot and try to trade it in, on something else (that you may not like either) Lots of them bought it at a gun show or a shop with no range. Then they are disappointed they cannot recover 100% of their money on trade.

The best is to make friends with someone that has several you can try. Buy him a box of ammo and pay for dinner, and you get the education you need and have a fun visit.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In all my years of Training, Women and Pre Teen Children get the safety message much quicker and more thoroughly practiced than an equal number of men. Just saying.
    Saw that training ROTC cadets. Many of the young men had bad habits and unbalanced bravado, most of the young women would listen and do exactly what they are told.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Because men think they can do 2 things well. Drive and shoot. 85% have a higher opinion of themselves than their performance shows

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I think a lot more women have firearms than we realize.

My wife never purchased a firearm for herself, but I made one available early in the marriage and she has access to her pick at any time. Without trying, I can think of at least 8 other couples that have similar firearms agreements.

I cannot believe my immediate social circle is unique.
    my girl bought her first pistol on my bday last year (s&w m&p shield ez 9mm). we bought her a s&w m&p ar 15 sporter for christmas. now she wants a sig p229 .40 like the one she bought me for father's day/bday. she has 20+ hrs of formal training and close to 40 hrs range time. she is encouraging her sister & mother to get armed, get trained, and get legal.

i'd marry her if she wasn't a better shot than i am

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Women are the better half. I've also noticed a lot more black gun owners, both men and women. A lot of them are trying to get proficient with the guns they are buying by going to the range.
    i've noticed that too. i have a few friends that i've taken to the range. most of them have become owners & are training with their firearms. some are a lot more aware of what's at stake in this country.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Women are the better half. I've also noticed a lot more black gun owners, both men and women. A lot of them are trying to get proficient with the guns they are buying by going to the range.
    i've noticed that too. i have a few friends that i've taken to the range. most of them have become owners & are training with their firearms. some are a lot more aware of what's at stake in this country.
    :ugh: See, I read "I've also noticed a lot more black gun owners", and I interpreted it as " I've also noticed a lot more black gun owners." I thought it meant that more people (men and women) were buying AR-15s. :):

I really need to work on my racial awareness... ;)

Top Bottom