Women are nearly half the new gun owners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I believe the number is way more than half. Back when I worked at a range, the new gun owners coming in were about 7 to 1 women to men.

Edit: but yes, very good news.
    I know of a few women who have purchased firearms for the first time in their life (a few came to me and asked for assistance in selecting a firearm), in just the past 18+ months and my experience with new gun owners is...typically:
    Woman want to know more about what they're doing and tend to seek training...
    Males think they already know what they are doing and are 'gung-ho' about demonstrating their vast knowledge to anyone who will watch...
    My initial response to someone who comes to me and ask, 'What is the best handgun for me?' is, 'What do you want it to do?' Once we get into a discussion regarding pistol platforms, caliber capabilities, personal experience, desire for training, etc...typically the response is, 'Wow...didn't know there was so much to think about!' And, 'It's not just about the gun, is it?' When you get people thinking about something, considering or contemplating it, that's when an 'education' actually makes a difference!
    I grew up on a farm and, being a guy, I knew enough to be dangerous and figured a few things out on my own! Later, in life, as I grew older, gained more experience, grew wiser, etc....I realized I didn't know everything I needed to know and sought additional training / education / knowledge / etc. that helped me develop further in my understanding of firearms themselves (amongst other things), ballistics, personal defense tactics, etc.
    Now, because of a lifetime of experience (the good, the bad, and the ugly) I now serve on the Safety Team at our church and do so with an understanding of what needs to occur in order to provide a safer place for worship, without telegraphing to everyone what we are doing!

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think a lot more women have firearms than we realize.

My wife never purchased a firearm for herself, but I made one available early in the marriage and she has access to her pick at any time. Without trying, I can think of at least 8 other couples that have similar firearms agreements.

I cannot believe my immediate social circle is unique.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bought my wife a Colt Detective Special right after we were married, 42 years ago. I know times change and I've heard people say that recommending guns like that Colt is being patronizing to women, but everybody should shoot what they can get hits with the quickest. gargenergun.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I believe the number is way more than half. Back when I worked at a range, the new gun owners coming in were about 7 to 1 women to men.

Edit: but yes, very good news.
    Well yeah but that's only because they're well. . . . you know . . . . . .WOMEN. No self respecting MAN would ever admit he doesn't already possess all the skills of a veteran shooter because they're MEN! :lmfao:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bought my wife a Colt Detective Special right after we were married, 42 years ago. I know times change and I've heard people say that recommending guns like that Colt is being patronizing to women, but everybody should shoot what they can get hits with the quickest. View attachment 158792
    Nothing wrong with a snub nose. I carry one myself. That one is a lot better looking and the custom grips look like they make it easy to handle.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing wrong with a snub nose. I carry one myself. That one is a lot better looking and the custom grips look like they make it easy to handle.

That came as is from the MCSD auction in 1979, back then they sold unclaimed guns rather than melting them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Every woman in my family is armed. Sisters, mother, daughter, and niece's. 22lr pistols, 380acp, 9mm and 38 special and 40S&W. Nine in all, and they all know how to shoot. Not saying they are professional. They all know how to handle firearms safely and are efficient enough to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I know a woman that told her boyfriend that she would not own a gun unless it was small, pink and had a red dot. So last week he gifted her a pink SCCY with red dot in 9mm. She has already signed up for a training class.

Top Bottom