Not open for further replies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In that case apologies and thank you, I had no idea what the Latin was about. :thumbsup:
    No worries. I am sorry that you lost a family member no matter how it happened.

For the record, I keep my feelings about Covid pretty much to myself. There is just too little known and to much conjecture, opinions, and "facts" being thrown around like it's gospel.

There is a reason medicine is called "practice".

I have pretty much in the last year taken the position that I believe nothing that I hear and half of what I see. :)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It is already reported on some media today 2/7/2020,but it is not great news.

The two vaccines tested against B.1.351 south African variant failed to do any better than a placebo in 2000 individuals with an average age of 31.

AstraZeneca says by autumn of 2021 they should have a new vaccine against the South African variant. No comment from Pfizer yet.

The world has 58 available versions of a sars-cov2 vaccine( https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32623-4/fulltext ). Hopefully one of them can fight mutations better than the placebo.

I keep hearing this press release but haven't seen a published study or even a preprint. What little I heard was that it was a very tiny study.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If it's a random antibody-resistant mutated virus, it won't matter if it bounces into a vaccinated person or not.
    Yes it does

A random mutation doesn't necessarily have an evolutionary benefit. A random mutation that can survive when others cannot has an evolutionary benefit.

This is why, frustrating as it is, that infectious disease experts want to mitigate spread even amongst the vaccinated.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep hearing this press release but haven't seen a published study or even a preprint. What little I heard was that it was a very tiny study.
    It was a preprint in the Lancet. I had posted a link to it. It is gone and the link leads to a different study now. It was a study of 2k with a median age of 31. Follow the science,unless we do not want you to see the science then do what we say in ignorance.

Here is a clinical trial that is available to read through. On how to use guilt, fear,greed,self doubt,anger,and even forcing people to think they are cowards...to promote vaccination.

Example of "Messaging"
    Not bravery message
    1/15 of the sample will be assigned to this message which describes how firefighters, doctors, and front line medical workers are brave. Those who choose not to get vaccinated against COVID-19 are not brave.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes it does

A random mutation doesn't necessarily have an evolutionary benefit. A random mutation that can survive when others cannot has an evolutionary benefit.

This is why, frustrating as it is, that infectious disease experts want to mitigate spread even amongst the vaccinated.
    Can you say why it matters if a random mutation that can survive when others cannot jumps into a vaccinated or unvaccinated host?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The USA now has our own spike protein variant(over 1000 confirmed already in California).

Ample data is available to suggest that B.1.351 is up to ten-fold immune-resistant to several vaccines, and could likely reinfect those previously infected. As P.1 carries many of the same mutations, there is a strong chance it is as well.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Can you say why it matters if a random mutation that can survive when others cannot jumps into a vaccinated or unvaccinated host?
    If the virus jumps into an unvaccinated host, the host has no antibodies anyway so no benefit to a mutation that avoids current antibodies. But if the host has antibodies to most variations, then the one that will multiply is an antibody-resistant variant. I don't think these occur very easily (or so it appears so far) but the more replication we have the more likely it is.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If the virus jumps into an unvaccinated host, the host has no antibodies anyway so no benefit to a mutation that avoids current antibodies. But if the host has antibodies to most variations, then the one that will multiply is an antibody-resistant variant. I don't think these occur very easily (or so it appears so far) but the more replication we have the more likely it is.
    Yup, this.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yup, this.
    How often do people get infected with multiple variants?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Getting shot #2 on Tuesday morning. We’re having a COVID party at work.. covid piñata included. . Not my idea but the bosses.
    My spin on it is I hopped up a nerf gun and glued thumb tacks on them for covid balloons.. have a few residents that are looking forward to taking a few shots at them. Last shot was not fun .. was really sick for a few days and they told me it was because I had just got over it.. anyone else have issues after the first one? Headache fever and body aches

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

How often do people get infected with multiple variants?
    There are now documented cases of people who have 2 different Covid variants AT THE SAME TIME so probably more frequently than we realize, but it is also likely that the variants are fairly disparate from each other.

I get shot #2 Friday,my wife had shot #1 Thursday at Walmart. Both ours were the Moderna vaccine.
    My wife and I both get our #2 Moderna shots Monday Feb 22.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom