Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    NPR's ME had a story about Novavax today. I believe that's the one guinea pig Hough got.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...covid-vaccine-is-extremely-effective-efficacy
    That is correct.

90.4% overall effectiveness and 93% effective against "variants of concern" which groups together several variants that are circulating in the U.S.

At first glance, this seems less effective than Moderna and Pfizer, but the widely reported 94-95% effectiveness rates were based upon the original strain only. The 90.4% number here includes all strains.

For a direct comparison, Novavax was found to be 100% effective against the original strain.

It was also found to be 100% effective in preventing severe illness with all instances of COVID in the vaccine group being mild.

My sample size of 1 shows 100% effectiveness and a very mild reaction to shots. First shot, slightly sore arm for a couple of days. Second shot- slightly sore arm and slightly elevated temperature, not a fever, for 2 or 3 days.

For anyone it makes a different to, Novavax is not an mRNA vaccine. It is what is called a "Protein Subunit" vaccine which provokes an immune response by introducing a spike protein that mimics the COVID spike protein and the body reacts against that.

I don't think FDA approval is coming for a little while, but Novavax already has big deals in place with several countries including India, Canada and Australia. I will become available in the U.S. at some point, but there is less demand here at this point.

In the future, however, things could be interesting because apparently this type of vaccine is easy to adjust for new variants and boosters produce a more robust effect than other types of vaccines that seem to lose potency with additional doses.

I should have bought stock at the beginning of the year.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have a funeral for a friend that was worried about side effects.

Of course the main effect of the vaccine would be that she still would be alive today.

Just because people don't make the same choice as you doesn't mean they're sheep that didn't do their homework.
    Sorry to hear about your friends death.

But since you are using her death to pontificate let's look at the details. Will this death be totaled in the column of the 6% the CDC now admits are truly covid deaths, without major comorbidities? How on earth do you know she would be alive if she had been vaccinated? Just an assumption.

As to the sheep comment, why do we even use the term sheep? Because they can be led. What you call "homework" I call advertising from vested parties, the vaccines are still experimental, have not been studied by independent sources, and have no long term testing done. Then we couple that with the fact that NO ONE is allowed to publish a negative thought, enforced by the politically aligned media, how in the heck could one even do "homework"? I call that being led if independent thought and testing are not part of the equation...

I am happy you are free to make your own decisions, I am thrilled that unselfish folks like Hough volunteer to test drugs. But make no mistake about it, at this point those who have taken the vaccine are every bit as much a test volunteer as he...

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    That is correct.

90.4% overall effectiveness and 93% effective against "variants of concern" which groups together several variants that are circulating in the U.S.

At first glance, this seems less effective than Moderna and Pfizer, but the widely reported 94-95% effectiveness rates were based upon the original strain only. The 90.4% number here includes all strains.

For a direct comparison, Novavax was found to be 100% effective against the original strain.

It was also found to be 100% effective in preventing severe illness with all instances of COVID in the vaccine group being mild.

My sample size of 1 shows 100% effectiveness and a very mild reaction to shots. First shot, slightly sore arm for a couple of days. Second shot- slightly sore arm and slightly elevated temperature, not a fever, for 2 or 3 days.

For anyone it makes a different to, Novavax is not an mRNA vaccine. It is what is called a "Protein Subunit" vaccine which provokes an immune response by introducing a spike protein that mimics the COVID spike protein and the body reacts against that.

I don't think FDA approval is coming for a little while, but Novavax already has big deals in place with several countries including India, Canada and Australia. I will become available in the U.S. at some point, but there is less demand here at this point.

In the future, however, things could be interesting because apparently this type of vaccine is easy to adjust for new variants and boosters produce a more robust effect than other types of vaccines that seem to lose potency with additional doses.

I should have bought stock at the beginning of the year.
    Thanks for your participation in the testing. How much did you know about the Novavax before you entered the test? Did the fact it is non-mRNA weigh in on your decision?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for your participation in the testing. How much did you know about the Novavax before you entered the test? Did the fact it is non-mRNA weigh in on your decision?
    I had read the journal articles based upon the Phase 1 and 2 testing and the UK and South African trials as well as articles about how vaccines are studied. I knew how it was made, the side effects observed to that time and, more generally, what complications or side effects are possible with vaccines.

The fact that it was non-mRNA did not play into my decision at all, but I know that it is important to some people.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I had read the journal articles based upon the Phase 1 and 2 testing and the UK and South African trials as well as articles about how vaccines are studied. I knew how it was made, the side effects observed to that time and, more generally, what complications or side effects are possible with vaccines.

The fact that it was non-mRNA did not play into my decision at all, but I know that it is important to some people.
    Thanks and thanks again for doing the trial. Had you previously had Covid?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Had you previously had Covid?
    No. Everyone in the study had to have never had COVID so that any resistance they measured was from the vaccine. In addition to tracking who got the virus after the shots, they took blood on a regular basis to measure immune response. The study is about 30 months in total, but my next appointment isn't until January.

I also have to (well, should) fill out a questionnaire on an app every day as to my temperature and whether I have any symptoms.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes it does, it will be my choice for booster if and when the time comes.
    And my daughter thoroughly wants to get vaccinated and I will not let her, when this one is available I will probably change my mind and allow her.
    I don't know how old your daughter is, but there is a Phase 3 study for juvenile use (12-17) going on now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, I am pissed that people are making stupid decisions, or worse yet, stupid nonthinki g reactions to what they are told.
    Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at my friend - she could be alive today if it wasn't for her decision. :(

I don't know why she hesitated, be it all the stupid memes, or the nonsense scare tactics, but she ignored the immediate threat (she was in a high risk category) and I guess was more concerned about the complete unknowns instead of the quantifiable knowns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom