• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnny112704

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is on my priority list this year but I am working towards a fishing boat purchase first.
    But what would you guys and gals recommend as far as an AR. Too build one myself or buy one outright?

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I have an AK and my cabinets are already filled with Tupperware. :):

All in good fun, I assure you. Some day I'd like to get an m16A1. Might buy one of the Vietnam original uppers floating around if I ever get around to it.

:rockwoot:

A1_zps6218e9f0.jpg

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Im American, and my AR's were built by me, from parts that were built by other Americans. The AR platform has parts manufactured by everyone from big companies, to father and son teams, in their garage. As a weapon, the AR does a great job, but I actually think it does as good of a job of bringing us all together as a free country.

Think about it? What do you suppose would have happened if you were living under the itchy red blanket of communist Russia, and you decided you wanted to start making AK47 parts in your garage? Probably wouldn't end well for you. Or your wife, or your children, or your children children, or anyone who ever talked to your children's children.

OK, now Im getting off topic abit.

I love them them both is the point.

I will be building an AK from receiver blank hopefully this year.

I guess I hate to see someone one sided when it comes to guns. Hell, they're all great, in their own ways.

How I imagine poster and most INGO users from most of the state besides south bend and NWI are
    America-F-Yeah.png

"Yeeaaah I named my first son 1911 and my second Eugune stoner and my third apple pie, AMERICA!!!""

But all joking and referances to the national bias towards US guns(understandable, but SVT-40 in german and finnish hands and G43>M1 garand), the design choices and compromises that were originally made in design and adopting the 5.56 round and ar platform make it less then ideal for a civilian POU 16 inch barreled semi auto rifle.

Does the round kill people everyday, yes. Will it do the job most likely, yes, like almost anything with proper shot placement. Though its optimized to be light so a grunt can hump hundreds of rounds in the jungle, be controllable in full auto fire, which with a civilian home defense and range gun arn't that big of issues.

Though I dont really have a problem with the AR platform overall, sure you sacrifice some durability and reliability, but again most people in civilized society use the gun enough to have issues with it. And aside from semi auto 5.56 carbines variants of the AR with barrels shorter then 18"(5.56 SBRs, yuck) it can be a fine weapon. Like the m16a2-a4, 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel rifles, and both .300 BLK 16inch to 10inch carbines its a damn fine weapons system. I made an informed choice to pick the AK because of the history, and for the money it was the best weapon I could buy

THough if money and whatnot was no object, I would get a full size sig 550 in 6.5 grendel. Or one of the balanced recoil AKs in full auto.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    THough if money and whatnot was no object, I would get a full size sig 550 in 6.5 grendel. Or one of the balanced recoil AKs in full auto.

Nice pipedream, but a Sig 550 doesn't exist in 6.5 Grendel. Have fun getting the mags to fit, finding a bolt, and producing a new barrel for it. Good God if we are going to go there, then I want a M41A Pulse Rifle. If you don't know what it is, look it up ;)
    Alien-3-Original-Alien-3-Pulse-Rifle-1.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nice pipedream, but a Sig 550 doesn't exist in 6.5 Grendel. Have fun getting the mags to fit, finding a bolt, and producing a new barrel for it. Good God if we are going to go there, then I want a M41A Pulse Rifle. If you don't know what it is, look it up ;)
    Alien-3-Original-Alien-3-Pulse-Rifle-1.jpg

Is this in the 40 watt range.......:)

Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    I own one but don't shoot it. Fire it a few times when we bought it, seems like a waste of shells. Thought it would be a nice addition to the collection. I Shoot the rifles we hunt with, trying to improve my accuracy.

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    Reason #1. Ammo prices
    Reason #2. 5.56 ballistics aren't what I'm looking for in an SHTF defense weapon
    Reason #3 Unreliable, finicky and problematic, or at least most of the ones I'm around are.
    Reason #4 Too expensive and not a good value IMO.

guitarslinger21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    southwest
    I suppose I've always been a bit of a contrarian.

I prefer the concept and reliability of the AK platform.

I like the cheap ammo, ease of cleaning, and ease of field-stripping of the AK.

I love the look of AK's.

Ice Cube never said, "ahh didn't have to use my A arrr."

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I don't know how much i would shoot it. I like shooting long range with bolt action or plinking with a 10/22. If i were to buy a semi auto rifle, it would probably be a Springfield M1.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    My "excuse for buying my first AR" will be that I want one... my reason for not doing so up to now is simple: my wife gives me that "Do it and you'll be sleeping on the couch for a year" look...

But now that I bought her a van, I have a much better platform for negotiations lol

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Screw that. I did that **** for 10 years, ended up single anyway, with no guns. If you can afford it, and its something you want, get it.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    My 1st one, a DPMS, wouldn't run steel case ammo. My second one, a Bushmaster, wouldn't run steel case ammo, and it had no excuse, it was a brand new rifle. My AK's have ran EVERYTHING, thousands of rounds, 5 different rifles, not one single failure.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Had one, sold it. Bought an M1A Scout to replace it. Much happier with it.

I did the exact same thing with the same result! :)

I must admit though that lately I have had that familiar itch to go look at one of those piston Ruger 556's. If I find a good deal.... just maybe.

Top Bottom