• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I was just curious as to reasons why some don't own an AR. I've seen some statements made in other threads about "excuses to buy that first AR". I thought that most folks on guns boards would own at least 1. They're not terribly expensive; they are reliable, accurate, are multipurpose, modular and mags are cheap.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I own a bunch of handguns. I own a .22LR rifle. But I don't own an AR. Can't afford to shoot it.

I did just buy an "AR like" 9mm carbine so I have something to have fun with.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have an AK and my cabinets are already filled with Tupperware. :):

All in good fun, I assure you. Some day I'd like to get an m16A1. Might buy one of the Vietnam original uppers floating around if I ever get around to it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I bought AK varients, and ammo to feed them, when they were cheap. Therefore, I don't have a need for an AR. I like them, and have fired quite a few over the years, just don't need one.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I just last year bought a Ruger SR556. So if this qualifies then I have one. As for why it took me more than 30 years to get one, I like AKs better because they don't poop where they eat. The SR556 doesn't poop where it eats either so that is why I wound up with an AR like rifle. Otherwise I would likely still not have one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Had one and sold it. Just couldn't warm up to a plastic gun. It just felt like a toy. If I were to get another AR-like gun it would be something in 308.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    if you can afford a good handgun then you can afford a decent ar-15

While true, not all of us place our priorities in the same order. I would love to have an AR right now but not only can I not afford the initial purchase price after making sure my EDC guns were what I needed, I also can't afford to feed the darn thing. Hell, I can barely afford to feed the guns I've got, much less a new rifle and new caliber. I cheaply acquired reloading equipment so the up front cost of that won't be so bad in the near future. It should help the budget quite a bit.

When budgets stabilize I would love to build my first AR but priorities must reign supreme.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built my first AR.
    That was about 4 years ago I think.

Now I own 5 total, but I have most of the parts for #6, just trying to decide on the caliber for this one.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Don' own 1.......GROSSly overpriced......:noway:......put some doo-dads on it, label 'tactical'......an' think they worth 1000's......:):......anythin' over 8-900 bux fer ANY of'em......yer screw'n yerself.......:):

take a AK over 1 anyways........

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    Every time I've had the funds, I had other purchases to make. I have a few handguns and shotguns, the only thing I feel I'm missing is a good semi-auto rifle bigger than a .22. I can't say when I'll have the funds to buy one. Maybe tax return I'll look for an SKS, I will not overpay for someone's panic buy weapons.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    ^^^^noobs^^^^"where do you live?" - that's what a pm is for. just kidding. see other thread about how inhospitable we are to new folks.

as to the ar question, I don't own one, because I'm waiting for AK prices to come back down to pre-hysteria prices. Aren't AR's a bit anemic when it comes to power. kinda like a 22lr versus a .45acp??

Last edited:
    Top Bottom