• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Same here, started out 20+ years ago buying a lightly used mini-14 and still love shooting it; it's one of my favorites (guess from watching to much A-Team back then?). Don't own an AR yet but have been looking at several brands and would love to have something else in .223 to shoot.

Been looking at some ARs online and at LGS since prices have seemed to drop back down. WalMart also has some really great prices and lots of different brands to choose from. Really like the Colts, Windhams and Core15s that I've held. For just plinking and target shooting is it really worth getting a 'piston' model over direct-gas? Seems to be a least a $300+ premium but is it worth it? I always clean mine after shooting so that's not really an issue.

I'd love to get a nice bolt-action scoped .223 as well. Do you like shooting your Savage?

Piston is a solution in search of a problem, for at least 99.9% of people. Expect additional recoil impulse and less accuracy compared to a DI gun.

That plus many additional parts.

It isn't an upgrade or premium feature, it's just an option for a certain crowd of people. Extremely high volume shooting without cleaning or over-the-beach requirements would be the only time I'd point someone towards piston.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks Tombs, I appreciate the honest common sense advice. I don't fall into your .1% and I'm sure I could spend the difference on accessories....or ANOTHER gun.

Piston is a solution in search of a problem, for at least 99.9% of people. Expect additional recoil impulse and less accuracy compared to a DI gun.

That plus many additional parts.

It isn't an upgrade or premium feature, it's just an option for a certain crowd of people. Extremely high volume shooting without cleaning or over-the-beach requirements would be the only time I'd point someone towards piston.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    ...Because an AR can never look this good...

fee66488d6744ddeb043781640318e00.jpg

Here's my HD/CQB setup: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/299985-mossberg-sa20-tactical-hd-gun.html

Last edited:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I currently have an ak but I've owned a few ar's. I can't afford both so I trade when I want something different.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Owned a crappy ar15, jammed like a fat kid going to a buffet....sold it out of frustration, should have kept it to make some serious money. I want an ar10 chambered in 6.5 or .308, but money is getting in the way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Owned a crappy ar15, jammed like a fat kid going to a buffet....sold it out of frustration, should have kept it to make some serious money. I want an ar10 chambered in 6.5 or .308, but money is getting in the way.

I just traded for an AR-10 in .308........................Sweet

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because I prefer the ak platform chambered in .308 :draw:

I have the ak in case I ever need a battle rifle, which likely will never happen. It doesn't require tons of upkeep and lube to work properly like the ar does, which I think is imperative for a shtf gun for a civilian.

and the rest of my rifles are bolt actions, because they're inherently more accurate and IMHO better for hunting, target shooting without blowing through quite so much ammo, varmint hunting, etc...

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Just recently got back into shooting. I haven't seen the point in an AR yet. My old Marlin 39A still works like a dream and I love the looks and feel of a good walnut stock. Who knows, maybe some day I'll change, but for now haven't even been tempted.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    $500 is my gun budget for the entire year. Buying guns, shooting, range time, etc. I just can't afford one. If someone would like to give me one, I would be eternally grateful! But until that time it's not gonna happen. I used to make a lot more money before I got into firearm ownership, but I'll die a thousand deaths before I work for another bank.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Because i work 50 + hours a week, not including housework, grocerie shopping, and other things a wife usually does, and i want to build my own, i dont want to buy one already done. I just have to find the time. Already have the lower from our gun dealer, just have to find time for the rest of it

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because i work 50 + hours a week, not including housework, grocerie shopping, and other things a wife usually does, and i want to build my own, i dont want to buy one already done. I just have to find the time. Already have the lower from our gun dealer, just have to find time for the rest of it

Sexist much?

Top Bottom