• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I carry OWB in an open-top, leather, galco rig. Cocked and Locked always! I have to play around with the position on my hip depending on my clothing for the day. If i'm wearing a jacket or a loose-fitting shirt, it's at 3 o'clock. If i'm wearing something more fitted, it rides best at 5 o'clock.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't know anyone who thinks a shoulder holster is either particularly safe or very comfortable.

Seriously? I carry in a shoulder holster nearly every day. Ideal for driving, I find it allows me to maintain the easiest access to my weapon and still be extremely comfortable. In fact, even if I am on my feet all day, my shoulder rig is equally as comfortable as OWB, and is easier to conceal. I keep the weapon anchored tight to my belt, riding just a few inches under my arm pit. I counter balance with two reloads, which I have riding slightly lower. The position of my gun allows me to draw and have it aimed center mass right out of the draw, and its a smooth draw. I have a thumb-break for retention.

**After reading the rest of the thread...**
    I suppose breaking a rib is a valid issue. The point is of course not to fall :D. I suppose that could be over come by wearing it low, but I cant stand that. I do wear mine right on my ribs. Fair enough argument.

Sweeping? An issue, I admit. I dont put much weight on it, since I use a smooth, swift motion to draw. Maybe I should put more weight on the issue, it is not something I take lightly, but Im also not the kind of person that gets so bent out of shape about it. If I am drawing, it is a life or death situation. While I would not be able to forgive myself is some stupid abnormality caused someone to be unintentionally shot, I am not thinking about who is being "swept" while I draw. I would be focusing on slowing my breathing and compensating for the adrenaline so that I am prepared to pull that trigger the second the sights line up.

Comfort? Like I said, I find my shoulder rig to be one of the most comfortable holsters I own. Its all leather, and has wider straps right where the weight is held, but they arent absurdly wide. Mine is a Falco rig, they are a Czech company and they are also one of the few companies that have molds for less common pistols. High quality, still affordable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Seriously? I carry in a shoulder holster nearly every day. . .
    Yes, seriously. I was not trying to start an argument. I was simply pointing out what many have found out. If a shoulder holster works for you then you are one of the very small minority of people who use them and like them. That's totally fine with me, and I offered none of the false criticism that many proclaim about shoulder holsters. Your personal advocacy, however, doesn't change any of the facts.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Fwiw melensdad I wasn't referring to you in my previous post.

I was referencing a personal experience I had with a few shooters that acted as if I was slaying puppies over my mode of carry as if the gun would leap out and slay the room all by itself or start shooting ala diehard from inside the holster.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Didn't mean to hack u off about it if I did.

Yes, seriously. I was not trying to start an argument. I was simply pointing out what many have found out. If a shoulder holster works for you then you are one of the very small minority of people who use them and like them. That's totally fine with me, and I offered none of the false criticism that many proclaim about shoulder holsters. Your personal advocacy, however, doesn't change any of the facts.

But now you know two people that use and like them. And I personally feel they are no more or less safe than shoving a gun down my pants in an iwb holster.

Call me selfish or rude but my muzzle pointing up and behind me actually is more comfortable and I would rather have the gun go rogue and shoot the mutt behind me than my bits or pieces if somehow it gets possessed.:D

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My main 1911 CCW is a Kimber Ultra CDP II, 9mm worn OWB in a Mitch Rosen leather holster. So comfortable, small & lightweight that I forget it's there most of the time.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Ive carried using a shoulder rig before. i think it depends on a couple things about the comfort of them and the safety. Number, the cheap 20 dollar rigs from cheaper than dirt or wherever may not be the best quality so comfort may suffer there, did with mine, I also used a custom built leather rig, much better fit and much better durability. As far as safety, any holster has the potential to be dangerous in a quick draw situation. Hints why one needs to spend some time on the range or in a safe setting, practicing drawing. Snap caps work well here in my opinion.

I choose to no longer go with the shoulder rig simply cause i found my current setup to be more practical to me in my current carrying environment. that and during the summer with my belt holster, i find its easier to conceal under a t-shirt. I have nothing against shoulder rigs

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I carry a Kimber Compact cocked & locked in an open IWB holster (Milt Sparks VM-II). When I first started carrying 1911, I carried in a thumb break running between the hammer and the firing pin. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Quickly, I discovered that the thumb break was some how working my thumb safety into the off position.

When I switched to the VM-II I found that the body shield has a nice molded detent for the thumb safety, thus holding the safety securely in the locked "on" position. I have never had the safety work off since switching to this set up.

I have no experience with a shoulder holster. A friend that carries one always prints very badly. I always know when he is carrying.

JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    My full size Kimber rides in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC everyday. Covers with a t-shirt, and rides nice. Never had a problem with it moving when riding my motorcycle or any walking or moving around. I have a Galco Fletch, which is nice, but I usually go for the MTAC first. Ride the hammer forward? You will eventually let one loose.

Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I use a inside the waistband holster, hides the 1911 better which I like. Usuallyat 4 o'clock position. Round in chamber, hammer all the way down. For anyone who wants to jump on my back for putting a hammer down on a live round, all I will say if you don't like to then don't...I do, been doing it for most of my life, started out with those singleshot shotguns as a kid that you had to cock, if you didn't shoot you learn to safely point an put the hammer down, no different with the 1911 despite what the experts on those handgun shows say.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I use a inside the waistband holster, hides the 1911 better which I like. Usuallyat 4 o'clock position. Round in chamber, hammer all the way down. For anyone who wants to jump on my back for putting a hammer down on a live round, all I will say if you don't like to then don't...I do, been doing it for most of my life, started out with those singleshot shotguns as a kid that you had to cock, if you didn't shoot you learn to safely point an put the hammer down, no different with the 1911 despite what the experts on those handgun shows say.

Not going to jump you on your choice, just going to say that there is absolutely no reason to do that, or take that chance. A cocked and locked 1911 is one of the safest handguns out there, but to each there own. thats my :twocents:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Defender cocked and locked....
    vz7uyp.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Not going to jump you on your choice, just going to say that there is absolutely no reason to do that, or take that chance. A cocked and locked 1911 is one of the safest handguns out there, but to each there own. thats my :twocents:

yeah, that ^

I carry a 1911, cocked & locked

and her too.... ^

Last edited:

Iron Soldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Ft Hood, Texas
    I carry a C&L 1911 and have been for years. My current favorite set up is my Government Model in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster at the 4 o'clock. I have absolutely fallen in love with the Serpa after "discovering" it to shoot IDPA and have made it my everyday carry holster.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I'm new to the 1911 and have been carrying my Springfield Loaded 5-inch model in condition one, at about 4 o'clock IWB with a Don Hume leather holster, which I purchased at Popguns in Indy for about 30 bucks. The 1911 feels secure in this holster.

This is pretty comfortable, really--but I am having to get used to the pistol being "behind me". For years I've primarily carried much smaller pistols in pocket holsters, or my G19 right at the hip in a paddle if I'm wearing enough clothing to conceal it. I'm trying to move up to larger calibers for CC, but haven't quite figured out the right combination of comfort and security.

Partly I worry about the gun being taken from me in this position--but I'm really more worried that it will slip out of position a little and start to print without my knowing it. I'm considering a shoulder holster--but if I do that, I want to get a nice leather one, and I'm a little hesitant to spend the dough for such a thing given the bit of controversy about them above.

What are your thoughts about a fairly large pistol like the Government model printing when carried IWB?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm new to the 1911 and have been carrying my Springfield Loaded 5-inch model in condition one, at about 4 o'clock IWB with a Don Hume leather holster, which I purchased at Popguns in Indy for about 30 bucks. The 1911 feels secure in this holster.

This is pretty comfortable, really--but I am having to get used to the pistol being "behind me". For years I've primarily carried much smaller pistols in pocket holsters, or my G19 right at the hip in a paddle if I'm wearing enough clothing to conceal it. I'm trying to move up to larger calibers for CC, but haven't quite figured out the right combination of comfort and security.

Big plus one's for that! I'd point out that carrying a fullsize handgun is more important than getting hung up on caliber provided it's 9mm or above.

Partly I worry about the gun being taken from me in this position--but I'm really more worried that it will slip out of position a little and start to print without my knowing it. I'm considering a shoulder holster--but if I do that, I want to get a nice leather one, and I'm a little hesitant to spend the dough for such a thing given the bit of controversy about them above.

What are your thoughts about a fairly large pistol like the Government model printing when carried IWB?

Printing isn't a crime in Indiana (nor is open carry), so setting that aside and focusing in on your worries about someone grabbing it...

A slight print is not going to be noticed by anyone but the ninnies and about half of LEO's. The ninnies may say something stupid like "your printing" because they want to feel "cooler" and the cops ain't gonna care... unless your the one ingo member who got hassled after grocery shopping the other day.

I did carry in a shoulder holster in Florida for awhile (full size HK USP 45). Great for being in a vehicle, but like many people (most of whom haven't even tried it), it isn't for me at this point.

I prefer OBW paddles at 3 oclock.

As to IWB, personally I'd think the length of a government model 1911 would make that uncomfortable as all get out.

I have a galco m5x (m5k?) paddle holster that is kydex but looks like leather. I initally dropped some coin on a nice desantis leather holster on sale but the TRP looks just as nice with the Galco that was half the price.

Anyway kudos on moving up to fullsize handguns for self defense. Keep your mouse gun, just use it as a backup gun ;)

Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I carry my Kimber Pro Carry II with a round in the chamber and hammer back saftey on of course. I use a fobus concealment paddle holster hides real well.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I carry one, round in the chamber, hammer back, safety clicked on.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you drop the hammer on a live round in a 1911. NEVER ride the hammer down with your thumb, sooner or later your thumb will slip and you will fire a round.

The 'middle size' gun is called a Commander size.

For IWB, I strongly recommend the CrossBreed Super Tuck.

For OWB, I have several. A simple Don Hume "JIT" is my most used holster for OWB. I do NOT like paddle holsters for daily carry. They are fine for range use, but I don't think they carry well, I've got 3 or 4 of them, rarely do I use them for daily carry and always do I regret it by the end of the day.
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^
    I also have a Serpa for owb carry.For cc you cant beat a Supertuck!:twocents:

Top Bottom