What will you do when the riot reaches your neighborhood?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This!

I think at this point the best option is to leave. Having a family that depends on you not just today but many tomorrow's will change a person. Sure, I could post up and defend mine against the best of them, and there were times in my life when I probably would have without second thought, but if you do this in these days you lose. Your "stand" might make you a hero in some eyes, especially in these parts, but you'll be more of a martyr than a hero in real life - YOUR life as you knew it would be over.

If this keeps escalating into some sort of revolution of the left, I'm afraid we will see a breakdown in society at some point. Then, and only then would any force necessary be an appropriate response to defend what's yours unless there is a very clear and obvious threat to your or your families lives. A looting, rioting mob doesn't fit that threat level in the eyes of some that will prosecute you, in more ways than one.

All IMHO, of course.

@churchmouse, I hope you can see that I'm not trying to start trouble. I think I may have done the opposite here. Maybe at least one member will read this thread and then give it a little more thought than the easy "I'll take them all out" frame of mind. It's much much more complicated than that whether we like it or not.

As stated before by members smarter than I, you yused the word riot and mantioned molitov coctails. As I said earlier I have no problem with peaceful assembly for redress of grievances.

What you describe is felonious activity which puts me in danger of serious bodily harm or death.

I have no duty to retreat per Runyon v State.

https://www.indyarms.com/tft-essentials-of-indiana-gun-law/

Cryppie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2020
    US
    As stated before by members smarter than I, you yused the word riot and mantioned molitov coctails. As I said earlier I have no problem with peaceful assembly for redress of grievances.

What you describe is felonious activity which puts me in danger of serious bodily harm or death.

I have no duty to retreat per Runyon v State.

https://www.indyarms.com/tft-essentials-of-indiana-gun-law/
    My point, are you going to open fire on the entire mob? You'll never see the ones throwing the fire. Is that going to stand up in court?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    In this hypothetical, the mob has made it to my neighborhood. Where could I retreat to that has not already been compromised that I would be more secure? Leave all my food/water/guns/etc except what I can throw in the truck and go hope to find a hotel room with a Kroger nearby? No thanks. I'll stay here, feed my family and protect what's mine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Everything I have and have worked for is here on this little plot of ground. I'm not much for chest thumping and I have no dreams of being a badass but I will not stand idly by and watch it be taken from my family nor will I flee and allow it to be destroyed or stolen. I sincerely pray it never comes down to it but I'm too old to run and I won't be terrorized by petulant dip****s. I'll leave them alone provided they do the same. Liberal woke prosecutors and social justice be damned, I worked in LE for almost 20 years and never had a complaint, lawsuit or accusation of any kind and certainly not race related.

Right is right and no one has the right to destroy what I've spent my lifetime building. I'll also not be going to jail for defending it.

So, you get that backhoe attachment for your new farm toy yet? If not might be time to buy it. :):

My point, are you going to open fire on the entire mob? You'll never see the ones throwing the fire. Is that going to stand up in court?

Not necessarily. You'll see them light it, and maybe throw it. Unless you are looking the other direction.

You are confusing their tactic of "assault, fall back and blend in, Allow the non combatives to move forward, and then move to the next target" with absolute invisibility. I know if I see somebody preparing to lob a lethal incendiary device at me, I'm not waiting to be struck and killed a slow painful death.

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The way I see it is you can do what you want as long you're willing to accept the consequences of your decision. You can let the mob destroy your neighborhood, your house or possibly take your life, if you have place to go you can leave or you can fight back knowing that you may be killed or at the very least face legal consequences. It's your choice and no one else can make that choice for you. What I do know is never fill anyone in on your plans that doesn't need to know.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    There is one way in and out of my neighborhood via car. A few other ways jumping fences but between all my neighbors (cop, former correctional officer, etc), I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue with firepower to hold our own. Since I live in a safe neighborhood for the most part (a few petty thefts here or there), I'm not worried. If there is anything happening, I will pay attention to live feeds on facebook and if they get within a couple miles of home, I will lock and load.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Anyone in a mob who continues to participate in said mob after knowing that some parts of that mob intend to get violent is just as guilty as the people committing the crime. Same thing applies to everyone. Volunteer to be the get away driver for a robbery and one of the other guys shoots and kills the clerk, guess who gets charged with murder? The whole crew, guilt by association.

Feigning innocence because your mob is violent but you aren't doesn't fly. Don't want to get shot or prosecuted? Better get the violent folks out of your mob before getting underway.

It's a free country. If some would rather walk away from everything and willingly enter a new life of homelessness they have every right to do that. I simply will not.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Everyone talking about standing and taking up arms to be forgetting the protests are more armed everyday. If it came to your doorstep and you shot one, you're likely to get yourself shot and compromise your families safety.

Last edited:

Cryppie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2020
    US
    Not necessarily. You'll see them light it, and maybe throw it. Unless you are looking the other direction.

You are confusing their tactic of "assault, fall back and blend in, Allow the non combatives to move forward, and then move to the next target" with absolute invisibility. I know if I see somebody preparing to lob a lethal incendiary device at me, I'm not waiting to be struck and killed a slow painful death.

I'll try not to bore you with my thought process too much but I take a situation and put myself on both sides of it. It has worked well for me preparing for the worst. From the news footage I've seen and what I would do if I was a lowlife thug throwing fire, I would definitely blend in well behind the front line and all you would see is a flaming object coming over the heads of "peaceful" protesters that are just trying to get their voices heard.. That would be very hard to stop. I feel for you if you start shooting the poor, innocent peaceful protesters that had their peaceful protest infiltrated by one or two of the persecuted population that, for no fault of their own, just can't be silent or peaceful any longer. And guess what, anyone they see that isn't part of their mob, gun or no gun, is going to be their new focus. Sitting on your porch with your rifle? You've now become their focus. Over the peaceful signs will come all types of flying objects.

Thank you everyone for your input and point of views! Like I said before, my best option, if I know they are coming, is to leave and let insurance cover it. In my area, like blue2golf stated, it's most likely I'll know they are coming. If not, and I can't leave, then all bets are off. I'm thinking far-side rooftop is best bet but again, good chance I'll know they are coming and will be gone before they get there.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Yes.You use the word mob, which to means that anyone that will not be warned off is the problem.

I WOULD RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6. You can do what you want run and hide if you like, I will not retreat the Claymores are positioned and fields of fire are determined.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone in a mob who continues to participate in said mob after knowing that some parts of that mob intend to get violent is just as guilty as the people committing the crime. Same thing applies to everyone. Volunteer to be the get away driver for a robbery and one of the other guys shoots and kills the clerk, guess who gets charged with murder? The whole crew, guilt by association.

Feigning innocence because your mob is violent but you aren't doesn't fly. Don't want to get shot or prosecuted? Better get the violent folks out of your mob before getting underway.

It's a free country. If some would rather walk away from everything and willingly enter a new life of homelessness they have every right to do that. I simply will not.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    If I see someone tossing flaming bottles at me from anywhere I just figure it's time to start shooting skeet and let it rain on those that brought it. **** 'em.

Bob

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'll try not to bore you with my thought process too much but I take a situation and put myself on both sides of it.

Can you really put yourself in their position? I cannot. I an neither a terrorist nor will I provide cover for them, because I would then be as guilty as them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Everyone talking about standing and my arms to be forgetting the protests are more armed everyday. If it came to your doorstep and you shot one, you're likely to get yourself shot and compromise your families safety.

That's what body armor is for.

Steel plates, while not ideal, and cheap and widely available.

If I see someone tossing flaming bottles at me from anywhere I just figure it's time to start shooting skeet and let it rain on those that brought it. **** 'em.

Fun fact, if you see someone carrying a molotov, lit or not, it is a destructive device under federal law, so they are already a felon.
    Just a tip for rules of engagement.
    (Yes if you legally want to own a molotov you must register it as a DD and have the bottle engraved. People have actually done it before.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Everyone talking about standing and my arms to be forgetting the protests are more armed everyday. If it came to your doorstep and you shot one, you're likely to get yourself shot and compromise your families safety.

It doesn't matter how heavily armed the mob is, one Molotov coctail is enough. It would be a fight and the odds are unquestionably against someone standing up against them but I revert back to my original post. As others have mentioned, nothing I have was given to me aside from my genes. I worked for every scrap and I'll not simply walk away from it. I'm gonna die sometime, if it has to be while showing people the difference between wrong and right, so be it. I pray it never happens but it isn't up to me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Before anyone asks or bring up the "so you value your stuff more than someone else's life", the answer is an unapologetic yes if the life I'm supposed to be caring about it attempting to do harm to me and my family. Stealing everything we have to include our home is just about as harmful as it gets (short of death) in my opinion.

Cryppie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2020
    US
    Can you really put yourself in their position? I cannot. I an neither a terrorist nor will I provide cover for them, because I would then be as guilty as them.

No, not literally but are you not able to think like the enemy or think about what you would do if you were on that side?

Here's another example, way off topic but it's how my mind works. I was asked recently what I would do if a crazy armed person had taken my wife hostage in my home while I was away and I was minutes away from my home. Do I go in and take care of the problem or wait for police? Think about that. Easy, right? Go in and one to the head? No, I would wait for police unless I hear shots and this is why:

Think about it as if you are the crazy armed person. The way I see it, I have someone's wife at gunpoint in front of me using her as a shield. Husband, a marksman that never misses (aren't we all), chest thumping, adrenaline pumping busts in to put one in my head. Guess what? The wife is going to be in his way and I will be shooting. The husband (which would really be me) is now dead as is probably the wife (which would be my wife). I shouldn't have to say this but no, I would never think of doing this but you have to be able to think like your enemy.

Whatever you decide to do in any situation is your decision alone and you alone will have to live with the consequences, which are many times unfair. I am not going to judge you or think bad of you for doing what you think is right and will support you 100% if you are in the right. I'm on your side here and value your opinion. I try to take everything in and learn from it and appreciate the input.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Before anyone asks or bring up the "so you value your stuff more than someone else's life", the answer is an unapologetic yes if the life I'm supposed to be caring about it attempting to do harm to me and my family. Stealing everything we have to include our home is just about as harmful as it gets (short of death) in my opinion.

And then they'll kill you and rape your wife and children before they kill them, theycannot leave any wittnesses.

Top Bottom