• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sure bad stuff happens, but to align with that just ruins credibility.
    For the Minn case to be given a fair shake by all, BLM (IMHO) needs to stay out of it.
    Start a new group, and police your own, make sure idiots don't ruin your message.
    And............wait for more facts to come about.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had forgotten about that farce -

"Hands up, don't shoot" :lmfao:

Oh, I haven't. Just two days ago some young idiot came up to my partner (who doesn't bother to wear a jacket to conceal his gun, badge, and radio) and said "Hands up, don't murder me bro!" as we were walking back from lunch. I also haven't forgotten the display of the signs at a city county council meeting by Vop Osili, Joe Simpson, Leroy Robinson, Brian Mahern and Monroe Gray.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    WoSDFbA.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I may....

Black Lives Matter, neither a cohesive group nor an organization. It has no headquarters, no national officers, no national budget, nor an ideological consensus amongst Its supporters.
    Black Lives Matter was founded upon the truth, that generally within American Society, that Black lives are diminished based unequal application of law and inherent biases. The Black Lives Matter Movement was been incorrectly believed to begin with the shooting of Michael Brown, in Ferguson, MO. However the initial movement began with the death of Trayvon Martin, after which the first hash tag of “#blacklivesmatter” appeared.

The Trayvon Martin episode, to thisday still raises questions, and regardless of where one’s belief falls on the issue, the initial reason it began rests solely on the belief, that a black man, walking in the rain was suspicious, and required to be confronted by law enforcement (as originally planned), despite no obvious indication of wrongdoing. It is from such instances Black Lives Matters seek to bring attention, and ask how rise above such biases.

In the initial stages of the movement, civil unrest was common. Since, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of such demonstrations, with the vast majority being peaceful, without creating harm to either property or people. The exceptions obviously come to national attention, and allow those whom have either not seen or ignored the peaceful gatherings, to assign unflattering labels upon the entire movement.

Black Lives Matter does not want special treatment. Black Lives Matter wants black people, to be seen as individuals, to be treated the same way any other American citizen not only expects, but demands.

The Black Lives Matter movement, generally, is peaceful in its purpose. However, there are some, who identify with the movement, that have radical ideas about how the goals of the movementare to be accomplished. And to some, they give an opportunity to detract from the movement, by attempting to paint those radical persons as representative ofthe entire movement. If one is to use such logic, then it would be only fair to label police, the Tea Party, or any number of groups, as racist due to the actions/words of the few.

In a perfect world, we would be judged by our behavior and the choices we make. We don’t live in a perfect world. We live in a world where simply because a person belongs to a demographic that does this percent of this crime, or this percent of that crime, are respected as an individual, but are defaulted to 40% of murders, 70% of violent crime. When one walks into a situation with such on the mind, itsnot surprising how often things go bad. Black Lives Matter seeks to remedy this.

Kut (is sure this wont be taken well, and probably met with ridicule)

There is quite a reach in most of your claims. I have had the pleasure of serving my country in the military and my community as a police officer and I've served right alongside many, many good black men and women. Somehow these men and women have been able to become successful contributing members of society. The live good lives, enjoy their successes just like people of other races. So how do they do it? If there is inherent bias based on skin color, how are these people managing to get around it?

You mentioned it in the first sentence of your last paragraph. I'll argue until the cows come home that racism is virtually dead in this country. People are judged by the decisions they make and their behavior. The problem is that there are segments of our culture who are self centered, inconsiderate, rude and obnoxious and they refuse to change that behavior. They expect everyone to treat them as they would the people in our society who don't possess those traits. It's akin to sticking your finger in a light socket repeatedly and complaining that it won't stop shocking you. It's very simple, if someone wants to be accepted they need to behave in a manner which will result in them being accepted.

Are there still racist people in this country? You bet, plenty of them and they wear skins of different colors. Fortunately they don't tend to be police officers, judges, business owners or politicians. Every person in this country is born with an opportunity to succeed. If they choose to squander it by making no attempts to fit in with the majority then that's on them. Not everyone is born into parents who are good role models and will guide their children to become good human beings. That's life, once a person becomes a young adult it requires nothing more than honest effort to escape that lifestyle. Stop acting, dressing and talking like those you don't want to emulate and begin acting, dressing and talking like those you do.

Our society has tried for decades to offer a hand up to many people in this country. Some have taken advantage of it and lived good lives as a result. Too many (both black and white) decided they were hand outs and rather than improving upon themselves they sit back and demand more. These people have latched on to the idea that if they can portray themselves as victims they will receive more handouts. Sorry but I'm over it. I have too many friends of all colors who saw the light and made their lives a success in spite of the challenges they faced.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    With all the numbers/percentages being tossed around, I wonder how many of these people missed work to attend these protest? Not being a wise guy but wouldn't that say something about these people?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    With all the numbers/percentages being tossed around, I wonder how many of these people missed work to attend these protest? Not being a wise guy but wouldn't that say something about these people?

That they're unemployed or cared enough about a cause to take a day off work? I suppose you could paint those people with whatever broad brush you wanted.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

This is their work and they're getting a paycheck to do it.......and free medical......and free education.....and free food.....and free cell phones....etc...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Phylodog- again well said. You mentioned programs that were meant to lend a helping hand but have far too often become hand outs that are abused. I couldn't agree more, perhaps it had reached a point that some of the programs meant to help are simply enabling people who now play the victim

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The Trayvon Martin episode, to thisday still raises questions, and regardless of where one’s belief falls on the issue, the initial reason it began rests solely on the belief, that a black man, walking in the rain was suspicious, and required to be confronted by law enforcement (as originally planned), despite no obvious indication of wrongdoing. It is from such instances Black Lives Matters seek to bring attention, and ask how rise above such biases.

Some light needs shed on this.

The neighborhood had a rash of break-ins, and Martin was walking around late at night with his head covered by a hoodie, and had been spotted doing odd things around various people's property.

Yes, had he just been walking down the sidewalk and nothing else, I would agree with such point. But that wasn't the case.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you surround yourself with people of the victim mindset it won't take long before you too are a victim...then it doesn't take long before you are able to attribute all your problems to whoever or whatever group you choose. Doesn't mean that group is out to get you...just means you need to open your eyes and figure out why you get treated the way you do & if you don't like it change your own actions

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    There is quite a reach in most of your claims. I have had the pleasure of serving my country in the military and my community as a police officer and I've served right alongside many, many good black men and women. Somehow these men and women have been able to become successful contributing members of society. The live good lives, enjoy their successes just like people of other races. So how do they do it? If there is inherent bias based on skin color, how are these people managing to get around it?

You mentioned it in the first sentence of your last paragraph. I'll argue until the cows come home that racism is virtually dead in this country. People are judged by the decisions they make and their behavior. The problem is that there are segments of our culture who are self centered, inconsiderate, rude and obnoxious and they refuse to change that behavior. They expect everyone to treat them as they would the people in our society who don't possess those traits. It's akin to sticking your finger in a light socket repeatedly and complaining that it won't stop shocking you. It's very simple, if someone wants to be accepted they need to behave in a manner which will result in them being accepted.

Are there still racist people in this country? You bet, plenty of them and they wear skins of different colors. Fortunately they don't tend to be police officers, judges, business owners or politicians. Every person in this country is born with an opportunity to succeed. If they choose to squander it by making no attempts to fit in with the majority then that's on them. Not everyone is born into parents who are good role models and will guide their children to become good human beings. That's life, once a person becomes a young adult it requires nothing more than honest effort to escape that lifestyle. Stop acting, dressing and talking like those you don't want to emulate and begin acting, dressing and talking like those you do.

Our society has tried for decades to offer a hand up to many people in this country. Some have taken advantage of it and lived good lives as a result. Too many (both black and white) decided they were hand outs and rather than improving upon themselves they sit back and demand more. These people have latched on to the idea that if they can portray themselves as victims they will receive more handouts. Sorry but I'm over it. I have too many friends of all colors who saw the light and made their lives a success in spite of the challenges they faced.

Very well said. I and I'm sure most people agree with this line of thinking.
    I've had this very conversation with many of the black people I work with. All of them agree, if you do not want to be thought of as a thug or gang banger do not dress/ act the part. Be you White, Black, or Purple
    Tried to rep you , but apparently I've been to free with it lately

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is their work and they're getting a paycheck to do it.......and free medical......and free education.....and free food.....and free cell phones....etc...

This is the type of bias I'm talking about. Hear it enough, and one starts to believe it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Phylodog- again well said. You mentioned programs that were meant to lend a helping hand but have far too often become hand outs that are abused. I couldn't agree more, perhaps it had reached a point that some of the programs meant to help are simply enabling people who now play the victim

Not surprising, but here is more bias. Why are programs meant to lend a helping hand, and eventually referred to as "handouts," included with a discussion about BLM? Fact of the matter is many of you think this way from the get go, without knowing anything about the people at these protests.... Other than that the majority are black.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

He wasn't confronted by LE, so his death should not be grouped in with the unjustified/avoidable deaths that BLM addresses. Continuing to do so takes away from the credibility of their efforts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is the OP a shootered troll trying to get others shootered? If he/she was so concerned about this topic, where is he/she?

One can only assume that the (1st post) OP was made by someone to somehow use INGO for their own controversial agenda. :dunno:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rudy has an interesting take on BLM:

[video=youtube;31HJ5z7GAZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HJ5z7GAZE[/video]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not surprising, but here is more bias. Why are programs meant to lend a helping hand, and eventually referred to as "handouts," included with a discussion about BLM? Fact of the matter is many of you think this way from the get go, without knowing anything about the people at these protests.... Other than that the majority are black.

Because those programs were put in place to help those who needed it as this country tried to come out of a period where there was rampant racism or at least obvious bias. Some took advantage and improved themselves, others decided to do nothing and continue to blame others for their lack of success. Its relevant to the conversation. If there were such wide spread and systematic racism and/or bias these programs wouldn't exist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom