What are the really accurate bolt action deer rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Take your pic. Just about anything now days will shoot better than the average person if your using decent ammo. I would be totally comfortable with a ruger American on the cheaper end or tikka t3x.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Take your pic. Just about anything now days will shoot better than the average person if your using decent ammo. I would be totally comfortable with a ruger American on the cheaper end or tikka t3x.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    You`re killin` me Smalls... :lmfao:

Yeah, I know my new Tikka may not shoot better than the Ruger I`m moving on from, but it`s worth the effort and cost to me.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Weatherby Mark V
    I really enjoy them. Used you can pick one up fairly cheap. Even cheaper if you can find one in 270 win in Indiana.
    The Vangards are not bad,but lack the smooth action of a true mark V. In my opinion the mark V has the best action of any bolt rifle made. They are as accurate as the shooter.

A few used MarkV on gunbroker in 270win between 600-800 dollars.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Got my new Tikka T3x Hunter, SS fluted barrel in .30-06. Great looking rifle. Out today shooting it and got through the initial new barrel break-in protocol. Inch and a half group at 100 yards, and I know the rifle is capable of better. I know I pulled one shot in this group, but my shoulder was done shooting, and I`m low on the ammo it seems to "like" the best.

Attachments

• Tikka T3x Hunter August 25 2022.jpg
      Tikka T3x Hunter August 25 2022.jpg
      1,020.7 KB · Views: 9
    • Inch and a half group, new Tikka.jpg
      Inch and a half group, new Tikka.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 9

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Here`s a question for any gunsmiths: What may be going on when a bolt-action rifle is hard to close the bolt with a cartridge in the chamber? With nothing in the chamber, the action is super smooth, but with a cartridge being pushed into place, it takes a lot more force to close the bolt than it ought to. So much force that I`m really uncomfortable forcing it that much.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I was looking for a Merkel Helix in .243 or 308 and couldnt find one. But in that search saw the Steyr CLII. Just coming out

Looked for one and not available yet, but did find closeouts on the old Pro Hunter. Reg 999, on sale 599. Got one as a general purpose synth workhorse .30 06.

Its ugly, heavy and shoots factory ammo under an inch ( came w such guarantee ).

Got a used Ruger boat paddle .308 stainless and no, recoil was not as bad as people say. It shot factory ammo around 1.25" at 100 IIRC. And the trigger kinda sucked.

Was a much lighter, shorter, handier rifle.

So of course i got rid of it.

My 3006 hasnt even been blooded. For under 150 yard stuff I just grab my .35 rem pump.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just a thought, in all the posts I saw 2 calibers I’d allow on my property. The 44 pistol round and the 30-30. The new law re: deer hunting is why I no longer allow deer hunting except myself and the neighbor. If you already have permission this may not matter, if you don’t it’s something to consider. I’m not the only one, permission is harder to come by nowadays the rifle laws are one of the reasons. Just a thought.
    My landowner doesnt hunt and doesnt care.

Your land, your rules. Thats fine.

IMHO coulda just said " PCR spec rifles" rather than demand .44 and .30-30

There are plenty of freezers filled w other cartidges of PCR spec, of which your beloved .30 -30 is not.

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My two cents: most of y’all worry about spending money on guns/scopes when the gun/scope isn’t the limiting factor.

Most if not all of y’all would be better served with a savage axis 3-9 combo and a 22lr bolt gun with 1k rounds 22 to practice than you would with a 4K dollar custom made rifle

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a savage axis. The ergonomics sucked. The stock flex was bad and the trigger junk. I fixed all that and it shot well.

Not a fan of long actions for short cartridges either.

Was still a clunky rifle.....bye bye.

Some stuff may fit a person better.

Said it before, I love my Rem 760 in .35 rem. Its fast, reflexive, feels like a 20 ga 870 small frame. Goes boom instead of roar and recoil is mild.

There may also be something to fat bullets and deer having a strong dislike of them.

And yeah, I still dream about a stainless Ruger #1 in .35 rem w black synth stock. Cost about 3500 to have one made.

Wont kill better than my 760. But I still want one. And may get one.

Because we get one turn on this rock.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The Tikka T3x was under $1000 with scope, and the Ruger American was under $500 (with a Leupold scope). The American has already taken 3 deer and the Tikka will get the chance this fall.
    Here's the Tikka at 50 yards, 8 shots, leaning on elbows:
    1661721743780.png

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proper scope and setup can be major factors in success. Ive seen way too many crappy scopes in crappy rings or mounts.

Too many get the gun up, fidget to get the scope image and then try to find the target.

One should look at the target, bring the gun up and it should be " there ".

Eyebox is a biggie on scopes IMHO.

Some stuff is better. And cost may be representative of such.

One can spend little and have good success. But that may also be limiting on some opportunities.

Good stuff set up properly is IMHO invaluable afield.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Here`s a question for any gunsmiths: What may be going on when a bolt-action rifle is hard to close the bolt with a cartridge in the chamber? With nothing in the chamber, the action is super smooth, but with a cartridge being pushed into place, it takes a lot more force to close the bolt than it ought to. So much force that I`m really uncomfortable forcing it that much.

Bad headspace, bad ammo, carbon deposits?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know I pulled one shot in this group, but my shoulder was done shooting
    I've never considered a 30-06 to be a particularly heavy recoil cartridge. I remember going with a buddy's dad and his hunting partner to sight in their rifles (30-06) for a western elk hunt. We were about 12 or 13 at the time. The old guys were making comments about the recoil like, "Man, that will bloody your nose!" They let us shoot and I was thinking that the recoil wasn't any more stout than my Mossberg .410 shotgun. :dunno: Stock tight against the shoulder and it's no big deal to me.

Top Bottom