What are the really accurate bolt action deer rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    My two cents: most of y’all worry about spending money on guns/scopes when the gun/scope isn’t the limiting factor.

Most if not all of y’all would be better served with a savage axis 3-9 combo and a 22lr bolt gun with 1k rounds 22 to practice than you would with a 4K dollar custom made rifle

I'd choose to spend decent money on the scope/optic and relatively lesser money on the rifle. A clear, easy to index sight on a deer is much more important than whether your rifle shoots 1/2 MOA or 1 MOA. What's worse is trying to find the deer in your sights and then taking a panic shot when you finally do. Whether your scope is foggy, out of focus, too small of an objective, or too high or low power for where or how far out you're hunting, it's likely to be more of a cause for a miss than the accuracy of the rifle...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd choose to spend decent money on the scope/optic and relatively lesser money on the rifle. A clear, easy to index sight on a deer is much more important than whether your rifle shoots 1/2 MOA or 1 MOA. What's worse is trying to find the deer in your sights and then taking a panic shot when you finally do. Whether your scope is foggy, out of focus, too small of an objective, or too high or low power for where or how far out you're hunting, it's likely to be more of a cause for a miss than the accuracy of the rifle...
    I personally like a 2-7× or a 1-8 or 10x on my hunting rifles. The 1x, and even 2x you can shoot with both eyes open with minimal problem.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I personally like a 2-7× or a 1-8 or 10x on my hunting rifles. The 1x, and even 2x you can shoot with both eyes open with minimal problem.
    Yep, makes sense. I don't ever use anything more than the 3x or 4x setting on my scopes if I'm inside a wooded area where the shot will be 100 yards or less. When I'm hunting on the edge of a field where I might take a 200 yard or longer shot, I'll crank the power setting up. My favorite scope is a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. I also use a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 for longer range shooting. Both were great values for the money.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the stock with a Grayboe and converted it to take mags. Put a Vortex 6.5 x 20 Viper on it. Shoots awesome at 300 yards and in with factory Hornady ELD 143gr.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have been really impressed with the Ruger American I have in 450BM. Public land usable, but still accurate enough to hit where I'm pointing at 150+ yards. It's MOA accurate-Puts 3 big holes in the same inch square at 100 yards...Suppressed or not.

Top Bottom