What are the really accurate bolt action deer rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Here`s a question for any gunsmiths: What may be going on when a bolt-action rifle is hard to close the bolt with a cartridge in the chamber? With nothing in the chamber, the action is super smooth, but with a cartridge being pushed into place, it takes a lot more force to close the bolt than it ought to. So much force that I`m really uncomfortable forcing it that much.
    New ammunition?
    Reloaded ammunition?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it was Armenian ammo? It ran everything else just fine. I don't remember everything I tried in it, but it had Russian, Albanian, Armenian and Egyptian ammo in it for sure.
    Probably was the ammo then. But Mosin "sticky bold syndrome" is a real thing. Usually caused by some un-removed cosmoline. My Finn M39 didn't like the 182 grain heavy ball ammo though and it would stick like that.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Probably was the ammo then. But Mosin "sticky bold syndrome" is a real thing. Usually caused by some un-removed cosmoline. My Finn M39 didn't like the 182 grain heavy ball ammo though and it would stick like that.

I even suspected the lacquer case sealant flaking off as a culprit.... but I'm certain it was the ammo.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I wonder about questions like the one that started this post. When I read those type of questions what the person is really asking. I think the accuracy of a deer rifle falls upon the shooter not the rifle. If a person is not a very good shooter the best most expensive gun will not help. On the other hand, a marksman should have no problem making any gun work. That being said people should buy and shoot what they like and what makes them comfortable. I think the skill is the man not the machine.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I have a Tikka T3x in .308 lite. I've never gotten the accuracy below 1 MOA in spite of spending a lot of time and effort trying. I also had to send it back for a loose mag lock that wasn't fixed. My local gunsmith took care of it.

It is consistent (little to no variation with barrel heat or other factors) and feels good in my hands. It has a Boyd stock and Trijicon scope. I used it on plains game in Africa and as my go-to deer rifle. It's not the most accurate but I have confidence in it and, so far, haven't failed to drop an animal in a single shot out to about 180 yds.

My wife has a Sako in .308. Nice gun but in my opinion the extra money doesn't result in a deader deer at any distance I'm likely to encounter.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I fired off a few shots from a new sig cross in 6.5 over the weekend. I've read that they're ammo picky. The only ammo I have for it is Hornady 140gr ELD and I wouldn't say that it liked it.

One of the nice things about a threaded barrel is that it gives options. I'm going to put an EC Tuner Brake on this Sig Cross and see what that does for it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My landowner doesnt hunt and doesnt care.

Your land, your rules. Thats fine.

IMHO coulda just said " PCR spec rifles" rather than demand .44 and .30-30

There are plenty of freezers filled w other cartidges of PCR spec, of which your beloved .30 -30 is not.
    My post had nothing to do with anybody‘s beloved any caliber. It had to do with the change in laws that caused me to limit hunting permission, no longer allowing folks I don’t know on my areas.

I’m not only responsible for my own property but many acres of cash rent ground, and my FIL’ s ground and cash rent ground. Almost every one has an old rental farm house on it. Each house has a family in it. Risks I’m not willing to take.

I don’t demand anything.

Dont have a clue what a PCR is.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'm really happy with my Rugar 77 in 44mag ... I think they call these Rugar American these days. It's really accurate for me on paper but mostly a "carry" gun. I'm not a good hunter because I enjoy just sitting in the tree enjoying nature a bit too much. ;-)

Mike

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My post had nothing to do with anybody‘s beloved any caliber. It had to do with the change in laws that caused me to limit hunting permission, no longer allowing folks I don’t know on my areas.

I’m not only responsible for my own property but many acres of cash rent ground, and my FIL’ s ground and cash rent ground. Almost every one has an old rental farm house on it. Each house has a family in it. Risks I’m not willing to take.

I don’t demand anything.

Dont have a clue what a PCR is.
    PCR is Pistol Cartridge Rifle.......the idea of shorter range "safer" rifle rounds. They are public land legal here (and of course private land legal).
    They have a cartridge spec, 1.16" min case, max of 1.8" and .35 cal and up.

Some of the more common are .357, .41 and .44 magnums, .45 colt and now .350 legend.

Your allowance of .30-30 seems contrary to not allowing other PCR cartridges besides .44 magnum. That round is only private land legal here.

Right or wrong, it is viewed by the state as having more reach and not worthy of use on public land for deer hunting.

Your land, your rules, I have no problem with that.

But only allowing one HP cartridge and one PCR seems rather silly......if done in the name of declared "safety".

More flexible and maybe safer, to have just gone w PCR stuff.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    PCR is Pistol Cartridge Rifle.......the idea of shorter range "safer" rifle rounds. They are public land legal here (and of course private land legal).
    They have a cartridge spec, 1.16" min case, max of 1.8" and .35 cal and up.

Some of the more common are .357, .41 and .44 magnums, .45 colt and now .350 legend.

Your allowance of .30-30 seems contrary to not allowing other PCR cartridges besides .44 magnum. That round is private land legal only here.

Right or wrong, it is viewed by the state as having more reach and not worthy of use on public land for deer hunting.

Your land, your rules, I have no problem with that.

But only allowing one HP cartridge and one PCR seems rather silly......if done in the name of declared "safety".
    Yep that’s me “Silly” but what could I possibly know. 73 years old, almost, been hunting, shooting, trapping, fishing, since I was a boy. What could I possibly say that would be correct in the eye of someone much less “Silly”. And you even know what PCR means.

I’m sure if you had to be responsible for any mistakes made by casual aquaintenance‘s with firearms on your ground you would make different decisions.

I’ll bow out of this thread now, having given my two cents worth. Have a good week, and good luck this hunting season.

There is a button at the top of the page that says -unwatch- I’ve never used it, I wonder if it works? Guess I’ll find out.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Bolt action deer rifles I have owned and would trust:

1. Savage 10/110/etc - They are about as reliable and accurate as they come for something $600 or less. They have a tremendous amount of aftermarket support and a kindergartener could switch barrels on one. IMHO, I would stay away from the Savage Axis. I've owned one and the quality of the bolt and receiver is not great.
    2. TC Venture - These rifles are surprisingly accurate for the money. The bolt action is as smooth as silk. They are guaranteed to be 1 MOA or better out of the box. For the money, they are about the best value I have seen for less than $400 or $500, depending on caliber. Mine is a .308 and it is a tack driver.
    3. Mauser 98 / CZ 550 - You can spend as little or as much as you want on these rifles. I've built custom off of WWII receivers and they are great controlled feed rifles. I have a custom 98 I built in a 6.5x55 and it is one sweet shooting rifle.

Reactions: RCB

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I bought a new TC Venture in .243 2 years ago that is a tack driver. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 4x12 scope on it and have $500 invested in as it is. It is fairly lightweight and shoulders easily. It will put 5 rounds into ½" group from a rest and while I haven't had a chance to tag a deer with it due to time limitations last year I definitely plan on putting some stand time in this coming deer season. I've taken about 20 groundhogs with it last year out to about 175 yards so I know it will do it part out farther on a whitetail. Most of my shooting will be 150 yards or less from where I shoot from.

We own our property and my nephew, his son and I are the only people we allow to hunt. All use .243 or .308. The nephew also has access to a 100+ acre field that I don't and he has 300+ yard shots (with the .308) that he can take.

One last thought on this. My all time favorite deer rifle is my dad's 1896 Mauser, 7x57 with an ancient 3x9 Tasco scope on it. I quit using it because the barrel is pitted badly (dad shot a lot of old military ammo) and needs replaced. Love the gun, very little recoil and used to group under 1½" at 100 yards but won't hold 3" groups anymore.

I own a TC Venture in 308. It's a surprisingly accurate rifle and a GREAT value for the money. The bolt is very short throw and silky smooth and trigger is crisp. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mossberg Patriot is another bargain shelf gun that is surprisingly accurate for the money, and can be found with wood stocks!

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I got a Savage 110 in .270 used in 2009, I don't know how old it is but it was before accu trigger was around. It's been 13 years and it's still the most accurate gun I've ever owned. It's far more accurate than I will ever be in a hunting situation and really all I need for the deer category on private land. I'm not buying $1000+ precision rifles to compare it to but I'd be willing to bet you'll kill just as many deer with that old thing than you would with something fancy. For ones to stay away from, I had a Remington 770 in .243 that was the roughest bolt I've ever operated in a centerfire rifle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Mossberg Patriot is another bargain shelf gun that is surprisingly accurate for the money, and can be found with wood stocks!
    What kind of accuracy do they get if you find a hunting bullet they like, and off a rest?
    I'm a firm believer that most rifles will be accurate if you find the right bullet, powder charge combination for it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What kind of accuracy do they get if you find a hunting bullet they like, and off a rest?
    I'm a firm believer that most rifles will be accurate if you find the right bullet, powder charge combination for it.
    I have yet to wring it out, but I have no doubt it will be sub moa.

Top Bottom