• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    @ foszoe, RR did not make the choice to set your group of 7 new shooter's back, AS on a national level made that decision. Very few if any instructor's ask to be removed from the program. Big brother from 1/2 a country away decided it knew what was best for Indiana, and removed us. Your disappointment does not lie with the volunteer's who gave up their weekend to help you, and your group, your disappointment lies with "big brother" who will no longer allow that kind of dedication to happen. I will bet without knowing any more about your situation that your favorite AS instructor (not knowing who that is) is now associated with RR.

I know. They didn't specifically choose to set back anybody. I can also assure you and the instructors posting here. It really doesn't lie with anyone in particular, even the big brother guy simply because I don't know all the details. Its just a disappointment in general I guess? It wouldn't be disappointing if I hadn't enjoyed the appleseed so much and I wouldn't have enjoyed the appleseed if I hadn't enjoyed my interactions with the instructors. So in a weird way, they should take my disappointment as a compliment.

I was at marksman level my first appleseed, I was in sharpshooter the next, and wanted the opportunity to get rifleman and possibly try to become an instructor. Then I had engaged 7 new shooters in the process, 2 women, and they were all ready to go this summer for at least two more events AND 3 of their friends, including another lady shooter. I had commitments from 10 guys at work who would be newcomers to the process for an event this year.

Does that help see where I am coming from?

I'll sit back and see how it all settles out.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I know. They didn't specifically choose to set back anybody. I can also assure you and the instructors posting here. It really doesn't lie with anyone in particular, even the big brother guy simply because I don't know all the details. Its just a disappointment in general I guess? It wouldn't be disappointing if I hadn't enjoyed the appleseed so much and I wouldn't have enjoyed the appleseed if I hadn't enjoyed my interactions with the instructors. So in a weird way, they should take my disappointment as a compliment.

I was at marksman level my first appleseed, I was in sharpshooter the next, and wanted the opportunity to get rifleman and possibly try to become an instructor. Then I had engaged 7 new shooters in the process, 2 women, and they were all ready to go this summer for at least two more events AND 3 of their friends, including another lady shooter. I had commitments from 10 guys at work who would be newcomers to the process for an event this year.

Does that help see where I am coming from?

I'll sit back and see how it all settles out.

Foszoe, I'm not sure where you are located, but there are still Appleseed's on the schedule. Please continue to take your friends and co-workers to AS if they are available in your area. Instructors from out of state will be filling in for the Indiana instructors that were dismissed and I'm sure they will do as a professional job just as we did. AS will be looking to rebuild the instructor corp and if you are willing to take a hat and help out I'm sure they would appreciate it.

If you'd rather wait for the instructors that you know to get Revere's Rider's up and running to bring your friends and co-workers to, that's great also. We would also welcome you into the instructor fold if you'd like to try that route.

All I've ever asked of anyone when questioned about Revere's Riders and Appleseed, is to give them a chance. Try them for yourself and go into them with an open mind. Make your own judgment and not believe all that you read on the internet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The other program had my loyalty for several years. The primary reason for that is that I believe in the mission. A secondary reason they had my loyalty is that they were the only game in town I knew of serving that mission of educating the People as to their legacy and their responsibilities, while giving them the confidence to fulfill both, and incidentally, some great marksmanship skills at the same time. There is something very empowering about knowing that you can control a circle of 1000 yards diameter, even if you never have or want to find a spot to do so.

At this point, not only is there another option, it looks to me to be a better one. I was not fired from the other program, but due to obligations in my life, I have not been able to participate in any shoots they put on in several years, much to my chagrin. For the same reasons, I am not at present able to participate in RR events as yet. This will change, and when it does, I fully intend to put on a hat, or whatever their mark is to designate an instructor. I very much miss shooting on the line, calling the line, and instructing new shooters or new-to-the-program shooters. After seeing what the other program did to my friends and fellow instructors, I refuse to give their program one more second of my time, but as I am still dedicated to and a believer in the mission, I will give what time I have to give, to a program in which I can believe as strongly as I do in the mission, one run by people I can trust to put the mission first.

Revere's Riders is that program. They not only are not stagnant in rifle marksmanship alone, they are driven to expand and teach people what they want to learn.

In the other program, we had people come to shoots and leave with the intention of engaging and remaining politically active. I recall one story (from Ohio, IIRC) where a man was encouraged to take an orange hat when he shot Rifleman his first shoot. He declined, saying that he would instead run for political office. I think I remember that not only did he do so, he won. I fully expect RR to not only duplicate that performance level, but to surpass it.

If the other program is going to continue, and it probably will, I encourage them. I wish them good fortune, and hope that they continue in the mission that "Fred" began, and actually focus on and continue to achieve what we started with Hawkhavn as state director, followed by Techres and YHJ. (not to exclude others, it's just that those three were the ones in that position when I was active) The explosive growth under those three powerhouses was no accident. It was the result of good men being dedicated to a goal and achieving it, with the invaluable help of all the men and women they helped organize.

Those men are here now. They maintain the same goal and vision, and they have my loyalty. Why? Because they earned it. They've always shown me respect, as someone highly placed in the other program did not do. (I've forgiven that indiscretion, and I won't discuss it further, other than to say that while I did forgive, I did not forget.) They understood and kept me listed as an active instructor long after I was technically ineligible. (I would not have worked a shoot without "proving up", even if they'd been willing to allow me to do so.) Their focus was always the mission. I tell this long story only to establish bona fides for those who may not know who's behind all of this. I return to them the respect they have shown me... but this isn't about me, or them, or anything but doing the job, serving the mission. This is about men and women who keep that goal at the forefront. This is about doing what is right, getting this country back on track, one shoot at a time, one shooter at a time, and returning us to our roots, our Constitution.

THAT is the mission. It hopefully will never require a single cartridge to be chambered. I pray that it never requires a magazine to be prepared, let alone a target be ranged or a single squeeze of a trigger.

Right now, we're at the northwest corner of a city block. The goal is to be at the southeast corner. There are at least three ways to get there... We can go south and east, we can go east, then south, or we can just cut through the middle and go directly there. The other program wants to take one of those routes. RR wants to take another. There are others that neither organization wants, that are equally valid. As long as we get to the same place... peaceable return of power to the People of America.... how we get there is of little importance. Take the route you choose. I've chosen mine, as my sigline shows by the removal of the other group's symbol and the addition of that of Revere's Riders.

Mr. Revere and those riding with him in April of 1775 rode to the target homes and called, "The Regulars are out!" as they went. This was the call to action.

I shall borrow from the other program a line which I don't yet know if RR will also use, to cite what is still our call to action today.
    That line, which anyone who attended one of the other group's events can likely call with me is, "Shooters! Your preparation period begins NOW!"

Blessings,
    Bill

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've been hesitant to chime in here. I am not as articulate as others when speaking.
    Bottom line, what I have experienced in appleseed (half a dozen shoots under my belt, patched in 25y and in kd. best shoot I ever had was a complete 'failure' at a kd, where I later realized I had learned the most from that 'failure').

When I first heard of the split I was dismayed.... It took a few hours of deliberating in my head... What did I know of appleseed? What was it? and who were they?
    Pretty quickly I realized they were YHJ, Rayne, Slim, Ol' Huff, Brown, Rob, Atm, Steve, Techres, and anyone else I forgot to mention...

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it. Hop stated it best when he said "I came to appleseed expecting to become a better marksman. What I didn't expect was to become a better person".

While the Appleseed program attributes to that idea in principle? The boots on the ground do it more effectively leading by example... I have ZERO issue following people like them.
    Who has YHJ surrounded himself with? 90% of the staff in Indiana (and countless others in surrounding states) that were 'removed' or chose to leave also. They also happen to be 100% of the people I have no problem following...
    I couldn't tell you what sort of person 'fred', or his dog for that matter, is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Based on 1) the information available to me and 2) my knowledge of and personal relationships with some of the people involved, I have the following statement to make:

I wish Revere's Riders and those who are part of it good luck and success! I will support you as I can. ATM always has my endorsement, but in this case, he has it for objective as well as subjective reasons.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Based on 1) the information available to me and 2) my knowledge of and personal relationships with some of the people involved, I have the following statement to make:

I wish Revere's Riders and those who are part of it good luck and success! I will support you as I can. ATM always has my endorsement, but in this case, he has it for objective as well as subjective reasons.

Good comment Rhino. Best of luck and get events on the calendar guys! At the end of the day, I will judge both organizations based on the number of events that are available to Hoosiers. none of the rest of this really matters.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    cbhausen has asked me to reply here. We've both done one AS shoot (he patched with ATM as shoot boss). We've also attended two or three Libertyseeds. We fully believe in the mission and the fine Hoosiers who've been working to advance it. Cary took a Blue Hat with AS earlier this year, but he'll be going further with RR. I intend to, as well. We cannot think of a finer group of individuals to work toward a common goal with than the core of Indiana volunteers who've pledged themselves to this cause.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Mohawk Slim put on a U-KD 2.0 "Beta" class (UN-Known distance) to see if it was something Appleseed would develop and boy it caused a stir over on the AS forum. I thought it was great. I learned a lot and shot less than ~30 rounds all day. How to fill out range cards, target acquisition, distance to target estimation using multiple techniques, engaging targets using multiple techniques, etc... I really hope classes similar to that find it's way onto the RR schedule.

Amen to this! I would LOVE to attend an event like this!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got my membership card and credential today. Proud to be a part of this young organization and looking forward to helping with their Mission: Every American Choosing Liberty, Every Day.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom