• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Wife pays for our cell phones and we have had Verizon forever. She asked today what I thought about changing to CC, and I have no real knowledge of CC. Said we/she can save a decent amount of money and that is always good but don't want to step down in service.
    Verizon has been good in our travels as far as Florida, Texas and out to Idaho and points in between as well as at home in west central Indiana. If you have CC or better yet if you have switched I would appreciate your comments. Thanks, Jim.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Jim, no CC here but also a forever Verizon customer. I was with another carrier when Verizon bought them and I just stayed on.

But I am going to start looking at other options. I think we are paying too much money for our cell phones, my wife and I.

Over the holidays, we plan on doing some shopping for a new, lower priced carrier. We still owe on one phone so that may be an issue but we will see.

We thought we would look at T-Mobile. Not sure who else to look at. I really don't want to work with AT&T if I can help it.

Interested in what others say about CC.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Check to see whose towers that Consumer uses. We switched from ATT to Puretalk a couple of years ago. Saw no change in service because PureTalk uses ATT towers. I put my parents on with us, and we went from them paying $90 a month and me paying $125 to all of us paying $70 a month ($16 per phone). Now we don't use a lot of data so we went with the 2 gig plans apiece, but phone service itself has been fine.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Depending on how you use your phone….before you make a decision of Verizon vs Consumer Cellular…check out Tracfone. I use it and pay $199 plus tax for one year unlimited talk and text, mine works off Verizon, I use my phone as a phone so I dont use much data as I said depends on how you use your phone. Sorry if I broke into the thread.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Consider your use and remember prioritization of towers. The downside to the cheaper companies is they are basically resellers. They buy access to the cell network from a big player, AT&T or Verizon most often, and then sell that access to you. Your traffic is now lower priority for the actual provider of the service. You'll be bumped before a direct subscriber, your speeds will be slowed before a direct subscriber, you will get lower priority to connect to a tower to keep your call going, etc.

For most people in most uses it won't matter. If you're around heavily traffic (cell-wise), emergencies when a lot more calls happen then normal, sporting events, or more rural/lightly serviced areas you are much more likely to see a difference.

I stick with Verizon because when I need my cell I need it, and the prioritization and quality of service are worth it for me, especially since it's about the only one with decent reception at my rural property, but you have to look at your own needs and wants.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I stick with Verizon because when I need my cell I need it, and the prioritization and quality of service are worth it for me, especially since it's about the only one with decent reception at my rural property, but you have to look at your own needs and wants.
    This is the reason I have stayed w/AT&T all these years. I get signal where others don't (or is too weak) and have rarely (if ever, it's been a long time) since I've had a dropped call.

But that's with my usage pattern and geographic area. I used to travel alot and it was nice having it "just work" esp. internationally.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    CC is very reliable (for me) and uses ATT towers. The charges are transparent unlike the competition. For example, Verizon and others have a confusing array of offers and plans. If you call Verizon to cancel they will offer a plan with a lower rate Just like insurance companies - new customers get lower rates.

I also like CC because you select the data level and can change it anytime.

We moved and put our old land line )was $50/mo) on a cell and it cost an extra $15/mo.

Call them and notice that CC has real and knowledgeable folk on the line. They need to because their (older) customer base demands it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Verizon used to have better call quality for me. When AT&T put a tower in my neighborhood, I switched for the cost savings.

I find these days that I actually talk on the phone a lot less. Txt messaging has become THE way to communicate for the most part, with a couple of family exceptions.

Data transmission has also become quite the big thing. Crazy thing is that my AT&T data transmission is faster than my home cable internet.

More than once, I've turned my phone into a hotspot in a cable outage with great results.

Out on the road, I often use the phone to stream audio for hours at a time. Sometimes that audio only comes with video, ie Youtube. So for me a good data streaming package is important.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have my sons on CC and it works great. It was a considerable savings over ATT. Moved my Mother from ATT to CC. The service so far has been really good. FWIW, I was looking on CC the other day and they had some promo pricing for $57/mo for 2 devices w/ 20gb data. Not too bad.

Re; Verizon, there is a 4G tower 4.2 miles from me out here in the sticks. I have Verizon for work phone and internet. (DSL stinks) Very reliable.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Consider your use and remember prioritization of towers. The downside to the cheaper companies is they are basically resellers. They buy access to the cell network from a big player, AT&T or Verizon most often, and then sell that access to you. Your traffic is now lower priority for the actual provider of the service. You'll be bumped before a direct subscriber, your speeds will be slowed before a direct subscriber, you will get lower priority to connect to a tower to keep your call going, etc.

For most people in most uses it won't matter. If you're around heavily traffic (cell-wise), emergencies when a lot more calls happen then normal, sporting events, or more rural/lightly serviced areas you are much more likely to see a difference.

Well put. This is my thinking as well “I stick with Verizon because when I need my cell I need it, and the prioritization and quality of service are worth it for me”.

If one is retired or do not use their phone for critical business the cheaper option may be best, but in critical emergencies do not count on service…

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are ATT and Verizon dead spots in West Central IN... Montgomery County in the Darlington area is a big Verizon dead spot - and ATT is spotty. I have Verizon and my folks who live there are on ATT. Spotty at best...

There's also TracPhone as mentioned... And Mint Mobile. MM has quite good rates. But I don't know what network they use.

In general - something on the Verizon network will probably have the best overall physical coverage - just perhaps not in specific areas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...More than once, I've turned my phone into a hotspot in a cable outage with great results...

Think I jinxed myself. Cable has been out for a dozen hours. I've limited my streaming video, but AT&T is showing that I have used 2.5gigs so far.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    @BehindBlueI's is right. I too was a Verizon customer waaay back - over 20 years. Switched to Spectrum Mobile for 1/2 the price and unlimited data. Same towers - different priority. Good service.

I called Verizon and tried to get a better plan. 3 phones sharing 2GB data and they could not figure anything out. I left. SHTF and my cell I will worry less about.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    @BehindBlueI's is right. I too was a Verizon customer waaay back - over 20 years. Switched to Spectrum Mobile for 1/2 the price and unlimited data. Same towers - different priority. Good service.

I called Verizon and tried to get a better plan. 3 phones sharing 2GB data and they could not figure anything out. I left. SHTF and my cell I will worry less about.
    It is a good deal for those that do not need priority.

A general question for any if you, and I don’t need to hear an answer, just answer to yourself. If that rare once in a lifetime gun were for sale and you needed to comunicate with the seller, set up a deposit, what service would you want?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If that rare once in a lifetime gun were for sale and you needed to comunicate with the seller, set up a deposit, what service would you want?

Dayyyuuum, IM hitting you guys with the REAL emergencies. :D

INGO right now:

Thinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I made it the first two thirds of my life without a cell phone, I can live without the "one in a lifetime gun."

Besides, I have a gun.;)

On a serious note, those are good points about the quality of Verizon. I don't like to be hampered by substandard quality in anything.

I think I will just stop in at my Verizon store and see if I can get a better deal.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

A general question for any if you, and I don’t need to hear an answer, just answer to yourself. If that rare once in a lifetime gun were for sale and you needed to comunicate with the seller, set up a deposit, what service would you want?

Well, since I know who owns that gun, I know they will wait for me to come by.

Top Bottom