• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I need to find uncooked turkey breast to fix some turkey for a picky eater at Thanksgiving. Nobody in my house likes turkey, so I'm smoking a rack of ribs and a chicken for my extended family. Mom doesnt like smoked meats, and others have expressed concern that its not thanksgiving without turkey. So I figured I'd bake a bacon wrapped turkey breast for her.

But Ive tried both walmart and Meijer, and nothing but whole birds. Anyone seen any in the coolers? Preferrably sw side. But since it's mainly for mom I GUESS I could drive a bit. :):

And specifically, for my Mooresville area friends, any at Value Market back in the meat case? Really dont want to call and bug them because they are so busy helping folks.

As a fallback, I'll resort to a heat and eat.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Not cooking this year but regularly get Turkey breast only. Price wise you might be able to buy a whole Turkey and just use the breast, scrapping the rest of it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not cooking this year but regularly get Turkey breast only. Price wise you might be able to buy a whole Turkey and just use the breast, scrapping the rest of it.
    totally counterintuitive, but you might be right.

But I havent even seen turkey breast as a price comparison.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not in your area but my local Meijer had turkey breasts this past weekend. Believe they were priced at $2.99 per pound. 2.5 breast was more than a 16# turkey.

Think KittySlayer is probably right as to it'd be cheaper to just buy the whole turkey and use the breasts

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I noted the same last week, only whole birds. However, Kroger had breasts today. $2.99 for butterball, bit the next cooler had their house brand for $1.99.

$1.99 is a great price, might pick one up now, and one next Friday, figuring the price will drop then.

Usually a good time to pick up a stnding rib roast there, or at Fresh Thyme, if you’re near one. They can be fantastic, smoker or broiler.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My daughter mentioned that Aldi had them as she knew I was looking for similar myself. I haven't made it to Aldi to check if our local store had them or not since I picked up a couple of whole frozen birds for frying this past weekend, for 33 cents a lb at Meijer.

I still plan to get by there and see what they have.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. I'll check kroger for the generic, but will probably end up just buying a bird and carving out the breast.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    It’s strange I’ve looked for one for awhile too and the spot is always empty.. still hunting for one for a shut in that only wants a turkey breast. A whole small turkey is cheaper..

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I got some turkey breast from Kroger in town a few weeks ago. It’s going to be harder to find them now that it’s closer to thanksgiving, but Im pretty sure they still have them. I couldn’t find any at value market when I went.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I need to find uncooked turkey breast to fix some turkey for a picky eater at Thanksgiving. Nobody in my house likes turkey, so I'm smoking a rack of ribs and a chicken for my extended family. Mom doesnt like smoked meats, and others have expressed concern that its not thanksgiving without turkey. So I figured I'd bake a bacon wrapped turkey breast for her.

But Ive tried both walmart and Meijer, and nothing but whole birds. Anyone seen any in the coolers? Preferrably sw side. But since it's mainly for mom I GUESS I could drive a bit. :):

And specifically, for my Mooresville area friends, any at Value Market back in the meat case? Really dont want to call and bug them because they are so busy helping folks.

As a fallback, I'll resort to a heat and eat.
    About a week or so ago we picked up 2 turkey breast at Aldi's. Not sure if you have an Aldi by you. If so, it would be worth checking them out.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think Meijer has the best price on turkeys at the moment, per my wife who is to sale prices what bloodhounds are to escaped prisoners.

Hmmm...
    • A thread about breast.
    • Then a reference to bloodhounds.
    • Which made me think of Cool Hand Luke.
    • Which made me think of Lucille.
    • My wife is always amazed how my mind works:naughty:.

Lucille.jpg

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009

As a fallback, I'll resort to a heat and eat

Walmart in Plainfield had a bunch a couple of days ago. The freezers in the meat section where full of whole birds...but back at the milk coolers, are some freezers with turkey breast

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    don't just "scrap" the rest of the the bird if you go the whole bird route.

A) the dark meat is quite good

B) it's incredibly wasteful

C) if you shred it, there are a ton of things you can do with it; like saucing it with a BBQ sauce, making a pulled turkey nacho dish, etc etc

Top Bottom