• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Who's the debate with? Never heard the debate. OR the flashing MC lights.

Just sayin...

I've never seen a motorcycle come from the factory with modulated lights, but I've also never owned every bike made. There are products available in the aftermarket which modulate either the head, tail or brakelights to make motorcycles more visible to other motorists. Headlight flashers typically use a timed relay circuit to automatically cycle between low and high beams for a given time period with respect to each mode. Brakelight flashers come in many varieties. Some flash a number of times and go solid, others flash repeatedly as long as the brake lever/pedal are applied. The latter I have seen other riders get ticketed for.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Admin/officers... Admin says that MC lights that flash constitute a violation of the code; officers are.... we'll say reluctant

I take it your not a MC guy?

Roger. I've thought about it andvthought the Ural Patrol was cool, but seems likebitscway too easy to get turned into hamburger on one. My wife's had enough trouble with bicycles....

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    IC 9-21-7-11
    Flashing lights
    Sec. 11. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may not display flashing lights.
    (b) Flashing lights may be displayed on a vehicle as follows:
    (1) On an authorized emergency vehicle.
    (2) On a school bus. (3) On snow-removal equipment.
    (4) As a means of indicating a right or left turn.
    (5) As a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.

I would say that a police vehicle parked on the shoulder or median would constitute a a traffic hazzard. IANAL, can you tell?

Seems to me that number 5 is saying it is legal to advise others of a speed trap. It is a vehicular traffic hazard. It is also saying flashing lights which would seem to mean repeated as in automatic. I do not see how flicking your high beams would constitute any criminal act.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems to me that number 5 is saying it is legal to advise others of a speed trap. It is a vehicular traffic hazard. It is also saying flashing lights which would seem to mean repeated as in automatic. I do not see how flicking your high beams would constitute any criminal act.

You bring up valid points, but they are all depending on who holding the gavel. I think it can go both ways. Personally, I think it's stupid to ticket someone over a flashing high beams to warn someone. However, I certainly think it's a legit way to get pulled over. I read a article a while back about a woman who was carjacked, and she kept flashing her lights to let people know she was in trouble. I never forgot about that story. So, If I'm flashed, I'll typically pull a person over, make sure everything is ok, give the driver a lil grief... and send him/her on their way.... with all their money in their pocket.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Most speed traps are just for tax collection. I got caught in one yesterday.

Speed limit drops to 30 because there used to be a school there. School has been closed for a couple years, but the speed limit hasn't changed. There is no safety reason to slow traffic; they just don't change it because it generates revenue.

You knew the speed limit was 30?

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    You bring up valid points, but they are all depending on who holding the gavel. I think it can go both ways. Personally, I think it's stupid to ticket someone over a flashing high beams to warn someone. However, I certainly think it's a legit way to get pulled over. I read a article a while back about a woman who was carjacked, and she kept flashing her lights to let people know she was in trouble. I never forgot about that story. So, If I'm flashed, I'll typically pull a person over, make sure everything is ok, give the driver a lil grief... and send him/her on their way.... with all their money in their pocket.

oh look an officer who gives a dang about the people. +1

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I hate those flashing lights that are on some of those motorcycles. It seems they are brighter than normal and pointed directly at my retina.

I agree, they do seem brighter than normal. They actually, probably aren't though. They do, however, do a good job at getting peoples attention.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Some flash a number of times and go solid, others flash repeatedly as long as the brake lever/pedal are applied. The latter I have seen other riders get ticketed for.

I think this could be argued to fall under the "road hazard" exemption. IANAL, but that is how I would plead if I were ticketed for that.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    One you chose to pay, by knowingly speeding. I would hardly call that a speed trap.

Speed limit drops 20 MPH for no apparent reason. Police officer waiting there to pass out tickets.

If that's not a speed trap, then I guess there is no such thing. :dunno:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Speed limit drops to 30 because there used to be a school there.

You knew the speed limit was 30?

Yes. And I'll pay the fine.

Speed limit drops 20 MPH for no apparent reason. Police officer waiting there to pass out tickets.

If that's not a speed trap, then I guess there is no such thing. :dunno:

I was under the impression that the speed limit was 30, now it is 20?
    Was also under the impression that you knew what the speed limit was.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was under the impression that the speed limit was 30, now it is 20?
    Was also under the impression that you knew what the speed limit was.

Cute, but what about people who AREN'T familiar with the area? Fact is, and it's indisputable, when there's an abrupt lowering of the speed limit in a certain area, ESPECIALLY when it's no longer needed, and there is a patrol car laying in the weeds there pulling people over because they are now speeding (especially when the supposed "safety" reason for the lower limit no longer exists), you can't call it anything BUT a revenue generating speed trap.

It's like when the city of Chicago installed red light cameras at intersections, and then shortened the yellow by a few seconds. They either looking to write tickets or cause accidents... seems pretty clear.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Cute, but what about people who AREN'T familiar with the area? Fact is, and it's indisputable, when there's an abrupt lowering of the speed limit in a certain area, ESPECIALLY when it's no longer needed, and there is a patrol car laying in the weeds there pulling people over because they are now speeding (especially when the supposed "safety" reason for the lower limit no longer exists), you can't call it anything BUT a revenue generating speed trap.

It's like when the city of Chicago installed red light cameras at intersections, and then shortened the yellow by a few seconds. They either looking to write tickets or cause accidents... seems pretty clear.

Exactly :yesway: But avoid feeding the troll. If you ignore him he might leave us alone ;)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I hate those flashing lights that are on some of those motorcycles. It seems they are brighter than normal and pointed directly at my retina.

But you see them don't you? That is the point.

"Honest ostifer, I never saw him."
    Too many a holes on the phone not paying attention and killing people.

I installed a kit on my wife's bike, it operates in daylight hours, at night
    a photo sensor turn it off automatically so it operates steady on.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    But you see them don't you? That is the point.

"Honest ostifer, I never saw him."
    Too many a holes on the phone not paying attention and killing people.

I installed a kit on my wife's bike, it operates in daylight hours, at night
    a photo sensor turn it off automatically so it operates steady on.
    Yep, I see them and it is very distracting in the dark.
    During the day it isn't annoying

+1 to you for installing sensor to make yours operate steady at night

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Cute, but what about people who AREN'T familiar with the area? Fact is, and it's indisputable, when there's an abrupt lowering of the speed limit in a certain area, ESPECIALLY when it's no longer needed...

Point is: He knew the speed limit, and he chose to ignore it, and now he's complaining because he got caught.

Last question: Is the speed limit posted?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Point is: He knew the speed limit, and he chose to ignore it, and now he's complaining because he got caught.

Last question: Is the speed limit posted?

Posted limit is 30 MPH. Drops 20 MPH from 50 MPH. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I choose to pay all my taxes. Doesn't make them taxes any less. I am not saying that I did not violate the system in place or that the ticket should be invalid under the law. I don't dispute that, and I'm going to pay it.

I'm saying it's a tax system, not a safety system.

Top Bottom