• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    isnt the entire point of having cops out on the roads to have people slow down and be safe, and not just to give people tickets? so if people are slowing down doesn't the main objective have a better chance of being completed? can't see the woods because of the trees.
    you also have to love our government for this one. it is speeding, not making crack. sure its illegal, but when everyone who drives does it and its poorly enforced and often overlooked, is it really all that bad. isn't someone being raped, killed, robbed? isn't a child being kidnapped, abused, and mistreated? don't we have bigger problems than this?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    cartman-south-park.jpg

That is all I have to say on this subject.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    isnt the entire point of having cops out on the roads to have people slow down and be safe, and not just to give people tickets? so if people are slowing down doesn't the main objective have a better chance of being completed?
    Personally speaking, if I spot a speed trap in time, I slow down for minutes. If I get a ticket, I consciously slow down for months because I hate paying tickets/insurance increases.

That said, if a police officer is ticketing people for a law that doesn't exist, or misapplying a law as retribution for someone warning about their speed trap as appears to be the case here, the cop needs some significant corrective measures.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The question really is: Are speed traps for public safety, or are they for revenue generation?

If they are for public safety, then I say the people warning about the speed traps are doing a service by warning people to slow down before they would anyway.

If they are a revenue generator, then... well... People shouldn't be ticketed solely to generate revenue.

Police should be here to "protect and serve" and not to boost the tax base for their municipality.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    This was about a Florida case, does anyone know if there is an Indiana law against flashing the brights to warn oncoming traffic?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This was about a Florida case, does anyone know if there is an Indiana law against flashing the brights to warn oncoming traffic?

It falls under 9-21-7-11

I've never given a ticket for flashing high beams, but I pulled a guy and his wife over after they flashed me after passing another officer.
    When I walked up top the door, I asked there was some emergency, or if anyone was in trouble. The driver asked why I thought that. I told him that it wasn't dark, and he had flashed his high beams at me and other cars 4 times. He told me that he hadn't noticed, and must have accidentally hit the lever. I said "Oh, gotcha," and then I explained that some people "flash" lights on oncoming traffic because theyre trying to warn other drivers about a police vehicle, and that just so happened that there was apolice vehicle right down the street from the direction he had come from. The guys wife was practically in tears she was laughing so hard.
    I then told the guy to be careful because he could technically be ticketed for do so. He smiled, thanked me, and went on his way.

IMO, ticketing for that offense is pretty petty, however, I will stop a vehicle, just to make sure everything is ok.

If you play the game, don't complain when you get caught...

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    While stationed at Ft Hood, I got sent out to a set up a speed trap, which I hated doing. So I would park the patrol car and turn on the berries and cherries. Everyone slowed down, but my patrol super didn't like that. I called him on it, asking if I was there to "Enforce Traffic Regulations or write tickets.
    He never assigned me to that duty again after that. :D

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    IC 9-21-7-11
    Flashing lights
    Sec. 11. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may not display flashing lights.
    (b) Flashing lights may be displayed on a vehicle as follows:
    (1) On an authorized emergency vehicle.
    (2) On a school bus. (3) On snow-removal equipment.
    (4) As a means of indicating a right or left turn.
    (5) As a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.

I would say that a police vehicle parked on the shoulder or median would constitute a a traffic hazzard. IANAL, can you tell?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think that IC is a stretch. It's talking about flashing lights (amber, blue, etc) not flashing your brights.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Most speed traps are just for tax collection. I got caught in one yesterday.

Speed limit drops to 30 because there used to be a school there. School has been closed for a couple years, but the speed limit hasn't changed. There is no safety reason to slow traffic; they just don't change it because it generates revenue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think that IC is a stretch. It's talking about flashing lights (amber, blue, etc) not flashing your brights.

Actually it's not... there's been quite the debate over motorcycles that have headlights from the factory, that flash.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. You're talking about lights that are designed to flash. I'm talking about lights that have an adjustable beam. If I'm driving down the road and an oncoming vehicle has their brights on, am I technically breaking the law if I flash my brights to remind them?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Who's the debate with? Never heard the debate. OR the flashing MC lights.

Just sayin...

Admin/officers... Admin says that MC lights that flash constitute a violation of the code; officers are.... we'll say reluctant

I take it your not a MC guy?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. You're talking about lights that are designed to flash. I'm talking about lights that have an adjustable beam. If I'm driving down the road and an oncoming vehicle has their brights on, am I technically breaking the law if I flash my brights to remind them?

No, because they are a safety hazard. But flashing lights repeatedly violates the code.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I got ticketed for this once. Judge didn't even let me get to the stand. Threw it out and admonished both the officer and prosecutor.

Top Bottom