• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Been wrestling with this question. Of course I believe in the need for a weapon mounted light for home defense but what about my "truck" gun. I know I am within my rights on my own property but what do I run into if I use a weapons mounted light to light an area like a parking lot in a self defense situation? Maybe I should use a handheld in addition to the WML? Maybe not an issue? I don't know. Seems like a WML and a handheld is a little redundant. Not sure what Indiana law says about this?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Indiana law says nothing about weapon lights. Why would it?

Carry with a WML, or don't...your choice.

I have a couple of pistols with WML in addition to my home defense guns, but rarely carry them because I'm not out after dark much. If I do happen to go out at night, I bring along a Streamlight penlight as well.

Honestly, I can't imagine many scenarios where you'd use a WML in a self defense situation, as civilian self defense is usually up close and quick But it's nice to have the WML on there, just in case you get into some outlier situation.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Indiana law says nothing about weapon lights. Why would it?

Carry with a WML, or don't...your choice.

I have a couple of pistols with WML in addition to my home defense guns, but rarely carry them because I'm not out after dark much. If I do happen to go out at night, I bring along a Streamlight penlight as well.

Honestly, I can't imagine many scenarios where you'd use a WML in a self defense situation, as civilian self defense is usually up close and quick But it's nice to have the WML on there, just in case you get into some outlier situation.
    I was thinking about the aspect that if I use the WM light to identify someone, now I am basically pointing my muzzle at them. I know the WML in general isn't an issue.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Camp no WML. Hand held for me. Train with it, useful in so many applications.

Also unaware what Indiana statutes, or any other states would have any bearing.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Camp no WML. Hand held for me. Train with it, useful in so many applications.

Also unaware what Indiana statutes, or any other states would have any bearing.
    Good points. My thought is that IN law might say something about pointing a loaded gun at someone. Which in my scenario would initially be done to train my flashlight on a perceived threat. I dunno'. Just curious.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I was thinking about the aspect that if I use the WM light to identify someone, now I am basically pointing my muzzle at them.
    If I have made the determination that I need to have my gun out and pointing at someone, I've little concern for what the law thinks about it. That said, I think it would be a rare instance where you have enough light to see something as a threat, but need to use a light to make sure it's a threat. Regardless, you don't need to point a light directly at someone to have sufficient illumination for potential target identification. Especially today's bordline sun-power LED weapon lights.

Avoiding poorly-lit areas and parking lots at night, if possible, is probably the best course of preventive action. I don't know of too many shopping areas that aren't lit at least sufficiently to identify someone approaching you.

Obviously, you would not use a WML willy-nilly as your only light, if you insist on frequenting poorly-lit areas. A handheld light in addition to a WML is best in those circumstances, I think.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    If I have made the determination that I need to have my gun out and pointing at someone, I've little concern for what the law thinks about it. That said, I think it would be a rare instance where you have enough light to see something as a threat, but need to use a light to make sure it's a threat. Regardless, you don't need to point a light directly at someone to have sufficient illumination for potential target identification. Especially today's bordline sun-power LED weapon lights.

Avoiding poorly-lit areas and parking lots at night, if possible, is probably the best course of preventive action. I don't know of too many shopping areas that aren't lit at least sufficiently to identify someone approaching you.

Obviously, you would not use a WML willy-nilly as your only light, if you insist on frequenting poorly-lit areas. A handheld light in addition to a WML is best in those circumstances, I think.
    Well said.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I only run a WML on a long gun. I use a handheld with a Harris method is I use a handgun just how I always have done it.

You can I’d a target without muzzling it with a modern high luminous light but then again why did you have your handgun out etc all kinds of scenerio would justify or make you look silly

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My bedside Glock-22 gen 3, has a Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro 205 red/light laser combo.
    A Streamlight TRL-6, is on my G-43 pocket Glock.
    I’d use my phone flashlight if I needed one, or get a flashlight from my car.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    I only run a WML on a long gun. I use a handheld with a Harris method is I use a handgun just how I always have done it.

You can I’d a target without muzzling it with a modern high luminous light but then again why did you have your handgun out etc all kinds of scenerio would justify or make you
    I do believe the Harries technique is a valid option. I learned that back in the big Maglight flashlight days.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I do believe the Harries technique is a valid option. I learned that back in the big Maglight flashlight days.
    Ah the good ole Mag Light days…these youngsters have no idea how easy they got it! I know a few folks that used the Harries technique in their shootings so I sort of chuckle when some tell me it’s not valid!

I’ll just keep doing me!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I don't carry a light on my CCW due to how difficult it makes finding holsters I actually like. That being said I always have a 1,000 Lumen Surefire in my back pocket should I need light.

ALL HD guns get a light , I tend to stick with surefire myself their products have never let me down.

Top Bottom