• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Certainly works well on a chicken house gun or maybe a red light for coyotes. Otherwise, they make a great target in a defensive situation. You can even see them in a standard scope in the dead of night. Helps the assailant see where you are at all times.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Certainly works well on a chicken house gun or maybe a red light for coyotes. Otherwise, they make a great target in a defensive situation. You can even see them in a standard scope in the dead of night. Helps the assailant see where you are at all times.
    Got a lot of operators watching you through a rifle scope at night on your milk and bread excursions, do ya?

:rolleyes:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I don’t like the use lights on my guns. I do always carry a flashlight however. I don’t think they are bad but they are just not for my. My full size bedside pistol does have a light but none of my edcs.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    That's why you use a hand held. Light discipline and away from the body carry since light draws eyes and what draws eyes draws fire, just like people get hit in the hands/gun more often than you'd expect. No way I'm walking around with a light strapped to my forehead if I think I may need to shoot someone or be shot.
    I know a Vietnam vet who carried an M60. Tracers draw fire in the same manner. "Get the guy with the big gun".

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    So in this thread about simple WML we have had mention of “assailants” at distance with presumably a rifle to an M60 and tracers.

Think we can say some have lost the relevance of the topic!
    The point being people will aim for the light. That is the relevance to the topic.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And in the case of more than one attacker which on the street is highly likely I presume?
    Depends on where the other attacker is. Is he on the grassy knoll overlooking the Kroger parking lot?

What if I brought 4 friends with weapon mounted lights?

Now it's 4 on 2. Your move.

:):

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The point being people will aim for the light. That is the relevance to the topic.
    I was referring to getting hit with a light from a dark room. If you’re off to the side sure but not so much if you are hit Straight on with the high powered lumens today you really can’t tolerate looking at it when lit up when standing in total darkness. Unlike the Maglights of the early 1990’s with what maybe 50 lumens!

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I personally try to carry as little weight as possible, so no wml. That plus I'm almost never out past dark pretty much negates the need to ever do it. Would be nice to have the option though. Maybe a qd light with a holster that suits it, for those very rare occasions.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Confucius say: sometimes, maybe. Depends on the weapons purpose/position in the roster.

My edc? No, use penlight w/decent lumens
    Combat/tactical? Yes, wml as well as handheld and headlamp in kit. (I consider red dots oppositely, but that's another topic)

Same for rifles. Bench guns/playthings, no. HD/SHTF/workhorse, yes. Train accordingly with any and all configurations.

All this about lights, and no one is gonna address the goblin in the room: wall *****. Nothing shocks an intruder(more than a 1000 lumen flash before the flash), like impending doom of a giant shadow ****. Fear is what won this fight.

IMG_20230613_213700965.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I like WML on my Rifles. I played around with them on my handguns but like my 1000 lumen hand held Arkfield much better. I also use the Harris technique and find I like it better. (I use yo have a 6 D cell Maglite. You could use it as a club if you wanted.
    Out here in the country you want at least 1000 lumens minimum.
    There are a lot of areas that are very dark at night with no street or building lights to help illuminate the area like in a city.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It amazes me the amount of instructions that have something to say when you mention you don’t run a WML AND you point out things mentioned in this article and or real experience from chasing bad guys yet they preach their theory’s

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Regardless of all the scenarios presented here, my reasons for carrying a weapon with a light (Surefire X300T-B) are simple: one, I’d rather have it than not. And two, my holster indexes on the light.

Carry a handheld light? Yes, of course. You’re going to use in about 100,000 times more than your pistol in real world scenarios.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I think MR. Ellifritz hits the nail on the head, at least in my interpretation of his writing. WML have a very limited use and while he prefers the handheld light over the WML, I tend to err on the side of having the WML and a handheld, a Fenix pd25. Hardly ever use my WML, but it takes such little space and just adds a little weight to the front of my gun that I prefer the feel to over not having anything there. Every so often I take the light off and notice essentially no difference in carry. Carry one, or both, just remember to switch batteries out every so often.

Top Bottom