• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I firmly believe in a weapon mounted light. It's dark half the time, and it's that half that the bad guys tend to like.
    I also firmly believe in a hand held light, because you'll need it a lot more than you will a weapon mounted one.
    You should have both... IMHO... but that's just my free internet advice.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I EDC a Small Streamlight and lightweight knife. I don't think I can go an entire day without using one or another. That said-middle of the night wakeup I would be lucky to get myself armed in time, let alone dig out the light from my clothes (on the floor). I have been thinking about adding the light to at least one pistol and making that a dedicated bedside unit. My carry has the trijicon sights and I feel like I can still see enough to handle business while out and about with just that, but the bedside unit has plain old sights.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Both.

I shoot better with two hands, and if I'm going to need to shoot under illumination, I'd rather have the WML given the option. I don't have one on every gun I own or carry, but IMO it's a must-have accessory for any duty gun or home defense gun. For a carry gun, I'd say evaluate your situation and make a decision based on your own environment.

Searching or any other admin task, you need a handheld. I've seen some stupid stuff, like guys whipping out a handgun to read something in the dark. Just because the only light you have is attached to your gun doesn't give you the right to point it at anything or anyone without justification of lethal force. Doing stuff like that will quickly set you afoul of the Indiana "pointing a handgun" or "criminal recklessness" statutes. There are countless tasks that require a light but don't require or justify shooting, so it makes sense to have a handheld available.

Headlamps are fine for admin tasks, not so good tactically. They don't really do momentary switching like a WML or good tactical handheld, and you lose the ability to independently control the direction and spill of your light source, which can be important when working around barriers. Then there's also a tendency for the light to attract bullets in a gunfight (it may be the only thing the other guy can see, so naturally what's he going to shoot at?), which ain't so great when it's attached to your forehead.

My EDC for just bumming around the neighborhood is a Streamlight Macrostream USB. It's small, reasonably bright for most admin tasks, and while it's not ideal as a tactical light, it'll do in a pinch. It has a clip on it, and it's lightweight enough that I can clip it to my hat brim to use as a headlamp if the situation demands (been doing a lot of that lately remodeling a house). For a tactical handheld I like something a bit bigger with a lot more output...but you have to be willing to put up with the added size and weight.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's dark half of the day and you have a responsibility to identify what ever it is before you shoot at it.

In your house you can flip some lights on, but that's a bit harder to do when you're out and about with your daily carry. So yes I believe you have a responsibility to have a WML on your carry gun.

That's not to say anything about an EDC light, which is an entirely different equation.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If I have made the determination that I need to have my gun out and pointing at someone, I've little concern for what the law thinks about it. That said, I think it would be a rare instance where you have enough light to see something as a threat, but need to use a light to make sure it's a threat. Regardless, you don't need to point a light directly at someone to have sufficient illumination for potential target identification. Especially today's bordline sun-power LED weapon lights.

Avoiding poorly-lit areas and parking lots at night, if possible, is probably the best course of preventive action. I don't know of too many shopping areas that aren't lit at least sufficiently to identify someone approaching you.

Obviously, you would not use a WML willy-nilly as your only light, if you insist on frequenting poorly-lit areas. A handheld light in addition to a WML is best in those circumstances, I think.
    Agreed, short of the the threat retreating once your weapon clears your holster, chances are you are now concerned with stopping the threat versus concern over brandishing.

While off topic kind of, but we had occasion to travel to Fort Lee( I know someone may say no it’s Fort Gregg, Adams now) its an 11 hour drive for us so refueling at night was a given. Oddly enough many fuel stations in VA must have lighting ordinances as the overhead lights were very dim and did not adequately illuminate the area. To the point where I circled the lot before pulling up to the pump, when I did get out my 2100 lumens daylight maker was in Hand.

Either way a hand held is a near requirement.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And not flagging things with your muzzle you might not want to shoot.

That's why you use a hand held. Light discipline and away from the body carry since light draws eyes and what draws eyes draws fire, just like people get hit in the hands/gun more often than you'd expect. No way I'm walking around with a light strapped to my forehead if I think I may need to shoot someone or be shot.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    My house gun, G21, has a light on it: streamlight TLR-7. I chose the model with the side-activated button (as opposed to the rear-mounted switch). With this unit I can train to use my off-hand thumb to activate the light. The goal is to keep trigger fingers dedicated to trigger work only. I also keep a 6-AAA-cell flashlight in the night stand drawer. Master bedroom is the only dark room in the house. All other rooms have enough accent/night lights on at all times that I don't need a light. My primary alarm system it two very large dogs. They are harmless, but aggressively playful. Honestly, I don't worry too much about home invasion. Nut job in the mall/theater/school scares me a lot more.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Always have a handheld light. Always.

If you carry a light on your gun, you should have a quality handheld light.

If you do not carry a light on your gun, you should have a quality handheld light.

WMLs on handguns aren't mandatory (unless LEO and duty regulations stipulate it).

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I've taken a few classes with night shoots and tried different techniques. I've decided on the FBI technique. I hold the flashlight in my weak hand away from my body and shoot one-handed if necessary.

I like it because it feels the most natural, requires the least amount of manual dexterity, and has the simplest gear setup. At home, I'm a fan of turning on the lights but a flashlight is always next to my home defense gun. The biggest drawback is shooting one-handed but there are always trade-offs and I do practice.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Definitely do both! The weapons light is for if you know theres a threat and are ready to engage. The hand held is for figuring out whats going on and gathering info. You dont want to point your weapon around or at someone unless its for sure a threat. Thats a good way to get a charge or get shot yourself.

Top Bottom