• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Wasn't sure whether to start this thread in this forum or general, hopefully this is good. Recently I've been looking for upgrades to make on my primary carry piece and I have to choose between night sights or a weapons light. I am eventually going to get both but as of right now can only get one and I don't know what to get first. My thinking is that night sights would be more practical for carry since they're always on my gun and ready to go. However, the weapon light would be good in case I need to clear my house, property, etc. I have crimson trace on my gun already which is kinda like having night sight, in that they both allow faster target acquisition, but I can think of circumstance where night sight would be necessary instead of CT. So, anyone have any ideas? What would be better tactically, light or sights?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm interested in the input as well.

Right now I have a weapon light, but have considered upgrading to night sights and losing the weapon light except for night stand duty.

My thinking is much like yours, + holster selection is a bit more limited and typically more expensive with the weapon light accomodations.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You need a white light. I choose to not have one attached to my handgun, but you NEED a white light. In the house it's a Surefire forend on the 870, outside is a 6p and a 1911.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    night sights are almost useless. why would you be shooting in total darkness where you cant identify your target? if the light is low enough where you cant see the factory sights right in front of you, then how are you gonna prove in court that you could clearly see the threat that was in front of you at 20 ft and you knew to engage? unless they are shooting at you. for center mass shots at close distance you wont even need sights.

get a light. night sights can be nice but for most people they are pointless. the advice is free, take it as you wish. im sure a ninja will disagree with me.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    night sights are almost useless. why would you be shooting in total darkness where you cant identify your target? if the light is low enough where you cant see the factory sights right in front of you, then how are you gonna prove in court that you could clearly see the threat that was in front of you at 20 ft and you knew to engage? unless they are shooting at you.

get a light. night sights can be nice but for most people they are pointless. the advice is free, take it as you wish. im sure a ninja will disagree with me.

Good point. I think it is the low light aspect that has me interested, as well as the pitch dark house with my weapon light on. I can see it helping get a faster sight picture in that situation, since the sights are more sillouetted with the light on.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Good point. I think it is the low light aspect that has me interested, as well as the pitch dark house with my weapon light on. I can see it helping get a faster sight picture in that situation, since the sights are more sillouetted with the light on.

That is my interest as well. I don't plan on doing any pitch black shooting but night sights should help to line up sight in almost any low light situation. However, the weapon light seems maybe more necessary because with night sight it doesn't matter if you can see you sight if you can't see what your shooting at clearly. If a am discharging my weapon in my house or on my property I want to make sure the person is a threat and I want to see whats behind them, I'd hate to shoot a family member behind the target.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I love my night sights, I will never go back! Most shooting are low light, night sights are bright and make my groupings very tight. The truth is in the shooting...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I wouldn't consider night sights completely useless. Once Cathy and I have secured the boy, anyone else in the house is a target. I don't need to identify who they are... just be able to shoot them. Don't have night sights, don't know if they make them for my P95. But as soon as I can make my way to TSG on a day they are open, my 870 will be wearing ghost ring night sights.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If a am discharging my weapon in my house or on my property I want to make sure the person is a threat and I want to see whats behind them, I'd hate to shoot a family member behind the target.

bingo! with proper training you wont be looking for a complete sight alignment anyways. heres a suggestion. In the house use a shotty with a light. while traveling use a pistol (with standard sights) and carry a LED light like a fenix LD20 or LD10, just incase you get forced into a low or no light situation. a small LED should be part of your (everyones) EDC anyways in my opinion.

If you have the extra $$ and want night sights then go for it. I just wanted to get you thinking, and realize night sights arent all that important if you think about it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I wouldn't consider night sights completely useless. Once Cathy and I have secured the boy, anyone else in the house is a target. I don't need to identify who they are... just be able to shoot them. Don't have night sights, don't know if they make them for my P95. But as soon as I can make my way to TSG on a day they are open, my 870 will be wearing ghost ring night sights.

joe, why not just spend about $50 or $60 on a light with preasure switch and then go out to dinner with the extra money you will save by not buying the night sights? night sights on a home defense shotgun? :): Im sure you can still spend the money at TSG on a light, that way they dont think im trying to take business away :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    joe, why not just spend about $50 on a light with preasure switch and then go out to dinner with the extra money you will save by not buying the night sights? night sights on a home defense gun? :):

Because a light does nothing for me but destroy my night vision, and tell my target where I am.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Because a light does nothing for me but destroy my night vision, and tell my target where I am.

shoot faster and dont leave the light on. i know what im talking about on this one. have you ever cleared a room with people shooting back at you? no harm if you havent, im glad if you didnt have to, but listen to people that have and maybe you will save some money. one shine of their flashlight and you wont be able to see squat unless you have some very good night vision. also they wont be able to see if you hit them with a 120 lumens of light.

im just trying to help the way i know how. if you all have your own ways then use what you think works for you. thats the best i guess.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    shoot faster and dont leave the light on. i know what im talking about on this one. have you ever cleared a room with people shooting back at you? no harm if you havent, im glad if you didnt have to, but listen to people that have and maybe you will save some money.

All a light does is limit what you can see to where the light is. Don't leave the light on? Why not? Once you turn it off, you can't see a darn thing. Without the light, if there turns out to be more than one target, I can see them moving. With it... the only one you'll see will be the one in the light.

You aren't the only one who's been there and done that, and I detest a light unless I can light up the whole room.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    All a light does is limit what you can see to where the light is. Don't leave the light on? Why not? Once you turn it off, you can't see a darn thing. Without the light, if there turns out to be more than one target, I can see them moving. With it... the only one you'll see will be the one in the light.

You aren't the only one who's been there and done that, and I detest a light unless I can light up the whole room.

use what works for you. i hope your practicing because thats a lot of sh*t to get set up on the fly.

i thought i answered why not to leave the light on. it can give away your possition. you can still see after the light goes off. slow down if you cant.
    im not gonna knock Night vision, because its great, its just another layer of complication you add. like i said, use what works for you. i know nothing about your plan, so i cant knock all of it. just trying to offer guidance. not that you would listen even if it fell on your head. also I never said I was the only one whos been there done that. actualy it should be,,, been there STILL doing that. thanks.

Last edited:

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso

I don't know what kind of light you use, or maybe you just have a huge house, but in my house my 150 lumen light will illuminate the entire room I'm in and a good portion of the next room no matter where I aim it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    WHAT is a lot of stuff to set up on the fly? Your frigging eyeballs?

I think that he may have mistaken your "night vision" statement for this

AV%20Night%20vision%20goggles.jpg

:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think that he may have mistaken your "night vision" statement for this

AV%20Night%20vision%20goggles.jpg

:dunno:

Well, that would make more sense LOL.

No, I'm talking about my eyeballs. After so many years of working at night, I still see almost as well in the dark as I do in the day. Use to be better.

Top Bottom