• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's an odd one. I'd check over on ST to see if Willard might have some idea.
    Willard responded with a suggestion to change the mainspring.
    So I went ahead and ordered 3 of the red DAK mainsprings (in case other DAKs I have may have this problem), OEM Part # P00156 from Top Gun Supply this morning.
    They're coming UPS Ground as the USPS where I live isn't dependable.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got the new P229 DAK mainsprings today.
    Got it apart and comparing the old vs new next to each other, the new one is longer, which could indicate needing changed.
    (see photo)
    But getting it back together with that new mainspring is a REAL b***ch.
    STILL haven't gotten it back in yet.
    UPDATE: It's now back together.
    P229DakOldVsNew.jpg

Last edited:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    My P229 .357 Sig DAK had a light primer strike malfunction on 3 rounds when I let somebody else shoot a magazine load through it on Thanksgiving.
    Am open to suggestions as to what caused it.

This pistol has always functioned FLAWLESSLY for me.

Yet when this other guy shot it, he had 3 rounds that failed to fire with light primer strikes.

He even tried pulling the trigger multiple times on each of these rounds and they didn't fire.
    He also NOT a novice when it come to shooting.

I put these same rounds back in the magazine and they all fired fine for me.

YESTERDAY, I removed the firing pin and spring, and checked the firing pin channel for any gunk or buildup.
    I wiped some Breakfree in it, and when I wiped it back out I just got a minute amount of carbon.

Any ideas? Mainspring?
    i just experienced that with my p229 carry. i found my hammer spring was gunked up...so was every thing else hammer related. a good cleaning seems to have fixed it

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I got the new P229 DAK mainsprings today.
    Got it apart and comparing the old vs new next to each other, the new one is longer, which could indicate needing changed.
    (see photo)
    But getting it back together with that new mainspring is a REAL b***ch.
    STILL haven't gotten it back in yet.
    UPDATE: It's now back together.
    View attachment 239778
    did he recommend changing the hammer strut seat also?

i remember reading someting about a difference in the seats

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    did he recommend changing the hammer strut seat also?

i remember reading someting about a difference in the seats
    No he didn't.
    This P229 DAK has the E2 grip, and it has the
    "Sig Sauer P Series Mainspring Seat, For Small Grip
    Code: MAINSPRING-SEAT-2"
    (see picture)
    I just swapped in the new Mainspring.
    P229-MAINSPRING-SEAT-2.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Went to the other place today and ran two 12+1 magazines through it.
    1/3 or more were fired with the short trigger and had no problems.

Below are a comparison of some old vs new primer strikes.
    (sorry for the picture quality, I took it with my phone)
    The new Mainspring primer strikes appear more consistent, while a couple of the old primer strikes look marginal.
    PrimersOldVsNewMainspring.jpg

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    No he didn't.
    This P229 DAK has the E2 grip, and it has the
    "Sig Sauer P Series Mainspring Seat, For Small Grip
    Code: MAINSPRING-SEAT-2"
    (see picture)
    I just swapped in the new Mainspring.
    View attachment 239976
    you already had the correct seat with the e2 grips. cool. sig's customer service told me the e2 grips don't work with a dak. i'm thinking because of the hammer bar spring. i haven't had a chance to research that yet.

i'll see if i can find anything about it on the classic p series armorer's dvd.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    you already had the correct seat with the e2 grips. cool. sig's customer service told me the e2 grips don't work with a dak. i'm thinking because of the hammer bar spring. i haven't had a chance to research that yet.

i'll see if i can find anything about it on the classic p series armorer's dvd.
    That's weird they would tell you the E2 grips don't work with a DAK.
    Yet min works fine.
    All of my other DAKs have the normal grips.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    That's weird they would tell you the E2 grips don't work with a DAK.
    Yet min works fine.
    All of my other DAKs have the normal grips.
    i thought so too. i was going to order from the sig store and i noticed they didn't list e2 grips specifically for daks only da/sa. so i emailed them.

i had factory da/sa grips on my p220 dak that work just fine. i just put some aluminium hogue grips on the dak and g10s on the p220 carry.

i ended up with some nice hogue g10s for one p229 da/sa and some guuuun g10s for the other 229 dak.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i thought so too. i was going to order from the sig store and i noticed they didn't list e2 grips specifically for daks only da/sa. so i emailed them.

i had factory da/sa grips on my p220 dak that work just fine. i just put some aluminium hogue grips on the dak and g10s on the p220 carry.

i ended up with some nice hogue g10s for one p229 da/sa and some guuuun g10s for the other 229 dak.
    In looking at my P229 DAK with E2 grips, it appears to have the da/sa slot.
    But I see they do make E2 DAK grips for the P229, but it says they're out of stock.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    My P229 .357 Sig DAK had a light primer strike malfunction on 3 rounds when I let somebody else shoot a magazine load through it on Thanksgiving.
    Am open to suggestions as to what caused it.

This pistol has always functioned FLAWLESSLY for me.

Yet when this other guy shot it, he had 3 rounds that failed to fire with light primer strikes.

He even tried pulling the trigger multiple times on each of these rounds and they didn't fire.
    He also NOT a novice when it come to shooting.

I put these same rounds back in the magazine and they all fired fine for me.

YESTERDAY, I removed the firing pin and spring, and checked the firing pin channel for any gunk or buildup.
    I wiped some Breakfree in it, and when I wiped it back out I just got a minute amount of carbon.

Any ideas? Mainspring?
    Probably a redundant, dumb question, but... Were these factory rounds or reloads?

I ask because I had the EXACT same results recently, and determined it was the primers. In fact, I would put the rounds back into the gun, and 9/10 would fire the second time.

I also can't think of anything the shooter could do that would cause a difference in the primer strike.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Well…. The new .40 barrel I ordered for my P228 came this week. Now to get that pistol and my new P226 cleaned and gone thru and lubed. Along with a carbine I got his week as well. But first things first is to install the new mechanical dial lock on my safe….. I have a feeling that’s gonna be a pain in the backside!!!!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Probably a redundant, dumb question, but... Were these factory rounds or reloads?

I ask because I had the EXACT same results recently, and determined it was the primers. In fact, I would put the rounds back into the gun, and 9/10 would fire the second time.

I also can't think of anything the shooter could do that would cause a difference in the primer strike.
    These were all factory new Fiocchi 357 Sig FMJTC 124 grain rounds.
    It was suggested on another forum that when firing from the short stroke trigger position, the Mainspring isn't compressed as much and could cause the light primer strikes with a worn Mainspring.

In my case also, the 3 light primer strike rounds were put back in the magazine and fired with no problem.

YET, when my son in law tried to fire them with another pull of the trigger before ejecting them, they wouldn't fire.
    MY theory on that is when I reloaded them into the magazine and fired them with the full trigger, the firing pin hit them in a fresh spot that hadn't been already dented.

Usually, the firing pin doesn't hit in the EXACT center with most center fire firearms I've had.

And as I posted earlier, with the new Mainspring, the primer dents were deeper on average, and I fired many from the short trigger position and they all fired.
    PrimersOldVsNewMainspring.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Communicated with the guy yesterday who had the 3 light primer strikes from one magazine load, and he said YES, he was firing all the shots from the short stroke trigger position.

The short stroke trigger position doesn't compress the Mainspring as much, and with a tired Mainspring it's understandable that he got the light primer strikes.

And since I hardly ever used the short stroke position, this would explain why this pistol never gave me trouble.

But with the confirmed clean firing pin channel, and the new OEM Mainspring, plus test firing using the short stroke position many times without trouble, I believe it's fixed.
    Thanks everybody for the advice.

I WOULD ADD that if you own a Sig P229 or P226 with a DAK trigger, to test fire enough rounds from the short stroke trigger position to rule out light primer strikes.
    And replace the Mainspring if you do.
    And make sure to get the red DAK spring.

My P229 DAK was made about 2010, and I have no idea how many rounds were fired through it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom