• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Well, that’s really not how the math works. The $60k is the cost of the vehicle, irrelevant to the cost of the fuel. Don’t know the current value of your Jag, but if you are replacing it, then you obviously have to subtract the trade-in value or private sale amount from the price of the new EV that you are replacing it with.

Still may be ahead on costs going forward by keeping the Jag, but it’s still not the same as the numbers you came up with. Don’t forget to factor in depreciation on a Jag, which has historically been fairly horrendous.

Not gonna argue the sweet sound if an F-Type against an EV, but there’s something to be said about the enormous, instant torque of some performance model EVs.

My numbers were keep the gas powered vehicle and add an EV. The purchase of the EV is 100% new outlay, no trade. I am simply figuring putting that $60,000 purchase price into a fund to buy gasoline, instead of the Jag sitting awaiting the day when level heads work things out so that both types of vehicles coexist, or my daughter inherits the Jag and then it is her problem. ;)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My numbers were keep the gas powered vehicle and add an EV. The purchase of the EV is 100% new outlay, no trade. I am simply figuring putting that $60,000 purchase price into a fund to buy gasoline, instead of the Jag sitting awaiting the day when level heads work things out so that both types of vehicles coexist, or my daughter inherits the Jag and then it is her problem. ;)
    Sorry, but your numbers make even less sense after your explanation.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    But we still have the lack of capacity on the current grid. We cant ignore that. Thats the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring.

Sure, the battery tech is fixed. (theoretically) But the infrastructure to charge them isnt there. With minimal market penetration of plug in EVs we already have predicted grid shortages/outages. What happens when folks listen to Buttedge-edge and buy those electric cars?

Unless you add a wind/solar farm big enough to charge your new EV, you wont be able to charge it. This is no different than somebody releasing a new plutonium reactor based car. Great. You figured out how to power a car on Plutonium like Doc Brown. Now where are you going to find the plutonium rods required to power it? (along with the other millions of drivers who want some too. There just isnt enough to go around. )

And as somebody pointed out, when you come home and plug in your EV, the sun is setting and the winds are dying down. So while you expect your car to charge so you can go to work tomorrow morning, all that green energy necessary to supplement the power plants is GONE. How do you charge your car to drive to work the next morning when the winds are calm and the sun is down? So expect to not only add wind and solar generation, but also a big a** expensive battery bank to store the day's green energy so you can harvest it overnight.

So that $60,000 EV has now turned into a $100,000+ endeavor for solar, wind, and battery banks to support the car because the grid cant.
    Everyone will be expected to work at night so they can charge their EV during daylight when it’s windy. Woke Corporations will gladly force the majority to work night shifts to meet the agenda.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Everyone will be expected to work at night so they can charge their EV during daylight when it’s windy. Woke Corporations will gladly force the majority to work night shifts to meet the agenda.
    The wind only blows during the day?

Or are conflating wind power with solar?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My response was to what cameramonkey said in his post about the wind.
    I missed that. I had to look it up.

I honestly didn't realize there was a marked difference in wind speeds from day to night. I learned something new today.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I missed that. I had to look it up.

I honestly didn't realize there was a marked difference in wind speeds from day to night. I learned something new today.

Lakes are always much calmer at night...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

This was in San Luis Obispo, CA. On Thanksgiving. In 2019.

About 15 cars waiting in line and 15 on chargers. Not exactly the disaster it purports to be.

Nobody should buy an EV unless they are going to be using it for what is feasible for their location and lifestyle. I'm going to hold off on a full EV, but my current SUV might be the last that's not a plug-in hybrid, which I see as the best of both worlds. Charge at home, usually 40 miles or so of pure EV range, and a gas engine/hybrid mode for anything over that. Most days I'd never use a drop of gas, but a road trip is still in the cards without worrying about charger infrastructure.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the end of the day, all of this is irrelevant. Leadership will force you into electric cars regardless of the shortcomings simply because they and the people paying for the laws are going to get crazy rich from this whole deal. Internal combustion vehicles will hang on for a while as parts and fuel fades out, becoming either collector items or something like Mad Max in rural areas.

All of the problems associated with electric cars will force more people into living and working close to urban areas, think soviet/chicom style apartments and using public transportation. When they tear down all the "racist" city interstate highways, you can bet it will be replaced with some sort of money loser.

The American car and the free way of life it bestowed is fading like the Red Barchetta. maxresdefaultgg.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This was in San Luis Obispo, CA. On Thanksgiving. In 2019.

About 15 cars waiting in line and 15 on chargers. Not exactly the disaster it purports to be.

Nobody should buy an EV unless they are going to be using it for what is feasible for their location and lifestyle. I'm going to hold off on a full EV, but my current SUV might be the last that's not a plug-in hybrid, which I see as the best of both worlds. Charge at home, usually 40 miles or so of pure EV range, and a gas engine/hybrid mode for anything over that. Most days I'd never use a drop of gas, but a road trip is still in the cards without worrying about charger infrastructure.
    Not a disaster, no. That is as long as you don’t mind waiting hours for your turn at the charger. Even on busy holiday travel days when it seems every gas station is busy, you don’t have to wait as long for your turn at the pump as you’ll surely have to wait at one of these “fast“ chargers.

The market would sort this out. Government involvement, forcing the situation will surely corrupt it and make it a train wreck.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    At the end of the day, all of this is irrelevant. Leadership will force you into electric cars regardless of the shortcomings simply because they and the people paying for the laws are going to get crazy rich from this whole deal. Internal combustion vehicles will hang on for a while as parts and fuel fades out, becoming either collector items or something like Mad Max in rural areas.

All of the problems associated with electric cars will force more people into living and working close to urban areas, think soviet/chicom style apartments and using public transportation. When they tear down all the "racist" city interstate highways, you can bet it will be replaced with some sort of money loser.

The American car and the free way of life it bestowed is fading like the Red Barchetta. View attachment 209379
    You should write dystopian fiction.

What makes you think that this kind of grand scheme was never possible before, and that the evil forces behind it were just waiting for the right vehicle propulsion method to come along? And not only that, but a propulsion method that can be produced in several different ways. Let's see you make gasoline at home.

Tearing down interstate highways? Forced migration into cities? Dude. Please. Is this before or after they put everyone in possession of a gas can in the Amtrak prison in Beech Grove?

And maybe next time you want to lament the loss of the "American" car, you could post a picture of an actual American car and not some Italian job made famous by a Canadian band.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

"The dangers are obvious. Stores of gasoline in the hands of people interested primarily in profit would constitute a fire and explosive hazard of the first rank. Horseless carriages propelled by gasoline might attain speeds of 14 or even 20 miles per hour. The menace to our people of vehicles of this type hurtling through our streets and along our roads and poisoning the atmosphere would call for prompt legislative action even if the military and economic implications were not so overwhelming… [T]he cost of producing [gasoline] is far beyond the financial capacity of private industry… In addition the development of this new power may displace the use of horses, which would wreck our agriculture." - US Congressional Record, 1875

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being a Rush fan for a long time I like the picture and the symbolism of the song's lyrics. No idea if there is an Italian car named Barchetta, or if it's just a name that Neil Peart came up with.

I don't write dystopic fiction, but it's interesting that someone would think that I have a talent for it. Maybe I'll take it up after I retire again.

Thanks;)

Actually making gasoline at home isn't as complex as it seems, google wood gas cars.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Being a Rush fan for a long time I like the picture and the symbolism of the song's lyrics. No idea if there is an Italian car named Barchetta, or if it's just a name that Neil Peart came up with.

I don't write dystopic fiction, but it's interesting that someone would think that I have a talent for it. Maybe I'll take it up after I retire again.

Thanks;)

Actually making gasoline at home isn't as complex as it seems, google wood gas cars.
    That is a really cool picture.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Top Bottom