• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I’m still wondering why there aren’t hybrids the way locomotives do it. An ice engine running at its most efficient RPM all the time running a generator to an all electric drivetrain. Surely an engine can produce enough power to run motors for anything a passenger vehicle might need with a minimal battery pack to bridge the gaps between needed power and the power the engine produces.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Unless some other technology displaces EV’s it’s going to overtake ICE eventually. And there are enough viable use cases for viable market now. But for political/ideological reasons, EV’s are being pushed into use cases they’re not well suited for yet.

All the major car manufacturers were pushing EV’s at the behest of ideologues, and not enough people like them. If the market can grow organically, it can be healthy through its evolution to maturity.

But. Idunno. ICE has been around for a long time, and it’s inevitable that a better technology will replace it eventually. I think electric motors is probably a better technology. It’s the whole battery thing that makes EV’s a problem now. I think it’s going to be transitional and won’t live as long as ICE did before the next big technology comes along.
    Maybe it’s as simple as having a long enough extension cord? Whalaaa, no batteries!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I’m still wondering why there aren’t hybrids the way locomotives do it. An ice engine running at its most efficient RPM all the time running a generator to an all electric drivetrain. Surely an engine can produce enough power to run motors for anything a passenger vehicle might need with a minimal battery pack to bridge the gaps between needed power and the power the engine produces.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

The Ram Ramcharger is exactly this, but with a gas ICE engine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How far back do you think the first time a loaded truck being hacked and plowing through a traffic jam will set us? It will happen.

Probably. Humans do bad things. You think they don't do bad things directly behind the wheel, on purpose or on accident? Every technology can and will be abused by someone at some time, but it's not stopped us once.

Doubtful other than on southern, flat routes that have no adverse weather. Love to see how the driverless truck deals with Fourth of July pass in Northern Idaho, along with 3/4 of the rest of the country when the white lines are covered with snow and ice.

You think technology will stand still? We can deliver a cruise missile through a window beyond the horizon but piloting a truck without road markings will evade us for decades? GPS, RFID chips in the road banks, AI improvements, someone will figure out an economical means to do it.

Or a rolling roadblock to a stop, and hijack the cargo or entire truck? Didn’t Fast and Furious put out a documentary on this a while back?

It'll happen. Employee theft at loading and unloading will probably continue to be the bigger threat, though.

Unless some other technology displaces EV’s it’s going to overtake ICE eventually. And there are enough viable use cases for viable market now. But for political/ideological reasons, EV’s are being pushed into use cases they’re not well suited for yet.

Probably. I'm thinking of making a small bet on this: https://www.oxy.com/operations/carbon-innovation/project-ventures/ because money will pour into this like it has into Tesla regardless of the merits. Carbon credit shenanigans is the secret sauce that eluded me for quite some time on why Tesla was valued like it was. I was stuck on it was a battery tech company using cars to fund research until I finally figured out the carbon credit shuffle. By then I was well behind the curve, smarter people than me had already piled in the stock.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Carbon credits play a much bigger role in all of this than most people realize. Every vehicle manufacturer gets scored on an emissions basis and certain vehicles cost credits, while others allow them to bank them up. All manufacturers have a credit bank and track it closely. They sometimes do even sell or trade those credits amongst each other. The ability to bank credits drives a lot of product strategy and long-term technology development.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey. That could work. But i suspect that might have some practical limitations.
    I remember Epcot center as a kid,and ridding along the "electric road" of the future.

We only need to increase our yearly cooper production around 100000 thousand tons per year,and we could make them a reality....oh and produce 100 times more electricity than we do now.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The technology will continue to develop. Toyota and Samsung have both promised commercial production of solid-state batteries for EV's by 2027. Solid-state batters are significantly better than Li-ion in almost every way. They promise to change the way people think about EVs and make every Li-ion EV obsolete and dramatically reduce their resale value.
    We'll need to wait and see what is actually delivered and when.
    I'm sure I'll own an EV someday but today I consider the technology more bleeding-edge than cutting-edge.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The technology will continue to develop. Toyota and Samsung have both promised commercial production of solid-state batteries for EV's by 2027. Solid-state batters are significantly better than Li-ion in almost every way. They promise to change the way people think about EVs and make every Li-ion EV obsolete and dramatically reduce their resale value.
    I'm sure I'll own an EV someday but today I consider the technology more bleeding-edge than cutting-edge.
    Flow battery is the future I think not li ion

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So it should be able to win in the market without my tax dollars funding it and laws being crammed down the peoples throats to create the appearance of viability…

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I think a way to go even further would be a simplified turbine with a kinetically significant flywheel. Always spinning, just adds fuel and adds momentum when necessary, all hooked to a generator.

I figure it could be pretty tiny with obscene efficiency given the compression ratios a turbine can achieve vs a normal engine.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    So it should be able to win in the market without my tax dollars funding it and laws being crammed down the people throats to create the appearance of viability…
    Yes, Exactly. I think someday EV's will become more durable, capable, and a better value than ICE. Others may differ but regardless the private sector should fund the change.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Carbon credits play a much bigger role in all of this than most people realize. Every vehicle manufacturer gets scored on an emissions basis and certain vehicles cost credits, while others allow them to bank them up. All manufacturers have a credit bank and track it closely. They sometimes do even sell or trade those credits amongst each other. The ability to bank credits drives a lot of product strategy and long-term technology development.
    What a horrible way to run one of the largest segments of the country, a top down policy motivated by questionable data manipulating free market forces.
    "Pay farmers to not plant" and "we're burning our food for fuel" ain't got nothin' on the carbon credit system.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So earlier I posted that Tesla had 50k charging stations worldwide. That was true four months ago.

Now it’s 55K.

I wonder how Joe’s network is coming along.

Top Bottom