May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Here’s one article about one companies plans to implement autonomous trucks. Not sure that they are also electric? I’m sure there are others, possibly further along than this one. I don’t really stay up on it. I know Penske had a program here in Albuquerque when we moved here, I looked into a job there as a “safety driver”. Ride along but not drive. All paperwork, nope. think they shut it down but not certain. 2027 they say operational, but these things seem to be notoriously delayed. Article seemed to be a lot of word salad to me, but what do I know I just drive the truck.

Oops! Not me.

On another note just got home from Salt Lake. Had touch and go bad weather on the way up. Our trucks have forward radar tied to the adaptive cruise control. Works nice, except you can’t pass anyone from 1/4 mile back. As long as you don’t get wet snow, then the snow covers the transponder and you lose your radar, cruise, which you don’t normally use in bad roads, and 2 mph top speed. You have to stop and wipe the snow off, or drive on the foot feed until it falls off. Not unusual in the rain for the entire system to kick out until it dries up. Good luck with getting Mr. Autonomous to get out and wipe off the transponder. I predict it will be some simple, stupid thing that will be the downfall of this idea. Maybe they can incorporate a heater in all the transponders to keep the snow melted off since there will be an abundant amount of electricity on board? Guess I’m a skeptic. Or a realist. I don’t see this working at all in bad weather, especially in bad weather in the mountains where you have lots of car drivers (and trucks) doing the unexpected, unsafe, and idiotic maneuvers they seem to specialize in. I don’t know, maybe they’d do better than human drivers? IMG_4411.jpeg

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Here’s one article about one companies plans to implement autonomous trucks. Not sure that they are also electric? I’m sure there are others, possibly further along than this one. I don’t really stay up on it. I know Penske had a program here in Albuquerque when we moved here, I looked into a job there as a “safety driver”. Ride along but not drive. All paperwork, nope. think they shut it down but not certain. 2027 they say operational, but these things seem to be notoriously delayed. Article seemed to be a lot of word salad to me, but what do I know I just drive the truck.

On another note just got home from Salt Lake. Had touch and go bad weather on the way up. Our trucks have forward radar tied to the adaptive cruise control. Works nice, except you can’t pass anyone from 1/4 mile back. As long as you don’t get wet snow, then the snow covers the transponder and you lose your radar, cruise, which you don’t normally use in bad roads, and 2 mph top speed. You have to stop and wipe the snow off, or drive on the foot feed until it falls off. Not unusual in the rain for the entire system to kick out until it dries up. Good luck with getting Mr. Autonomous to get out and wipe off the transponder. I predict it will be some simple, stupid thing that will be the downfall of this idea. Maybe they can incorporate a heater in all the transponders to keep the snow melted off since there will be an abundant amount of electricity on board? Guess I’m a skeptic. Or a realist. I don’t see this working at all in bad weather, especially in bad weather in the mountains where you have lots of car drivers (and trucks) doing the unexpected, unsafe, and idiotic maneuvers they seem to specialize in. I don’t know, maybe they’d do better than human drivers?
    As I read your post the voice in my head was a robot voice saying “WAKE UP STUPID, YOU HAVE TO GET OUT AND WIPE OFF MY SENSORS”.

You know they’ll look down on us.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    As I read your post the voice in my head was a robot voice saying “WAKE UP STUPID, YOU HAVE TO GET OUT AND WIPE OFF MY SENSORS”.

You know they’ll look down on us.
    Already got that!!! New ELD company Samsara says “Slow down” two times, then if you don’t slow down it starts saying “Please slow down”. This happens at 72 mph, regardless of the speed limit which is up to 80 mph in Utah, while rolling off a hill staring at a three mile upgrade ahead. That’s free fuel mileage……

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think I'll be surprised if self driving is ready for full time by 2027. I'd definitely be surprised is it wasn't by 2047. We can see through water and dirt and concrete from the sky. It's just a question of money. When is the tech cheaper than a human? That's the only tipping point that matters in the long run. Steam replacing John Henry for a new generation. The problem is there are fewer and fewer jobs for a John Henry.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I think I'll be surprised if self driving is ready for full time by 2027. I'd definitely be surprised is it wasn't by 2047. We can see through water and dirt and concrete from the sky. It's just a question of money. When is the tech cheaper than a human? That's the only tipping point that matters in the long run. Steam replacing John Henry for a new generation. The problem is there are fewer and fewer jobs for a John Henry.
    The Yang Gang approves of this message.

Also, so glad I convinced the wife that the aluminum foil wallpaper and ceiling treatment was the way to go.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Already got that!!! New ELD company Samsara says “Slow down” two times, then if you don’t slow down it starts saying “Please slow down”. This happens at 72 mph, regardless of the speed limit which is up to 80 mph in Utah, while rolling off a hill staring at a three mile upgrade ahead. That’s free fuel mileage……
    There’s a camera in a truck I bought at auction that will call dispatch if it sees the driver nodding off or driving recklessly. That’s pretty smart. Scary smart.
    (I assume they have it cancelled…)

I looked into it but at a $600/year subscription, while it’d be cool to have a camera I can pass on that one.

It’s a good theory, I guess, but the pencil necked swivel seated geeks push their stupid theories way too far, in the name of liability avoidance.

Like the billboard south of Lafayette that says “if you slowed down to read this you saved gas”. Retarded.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    There’s a camera in a truck I bought at auction that will call dispatch if it sees the driver nodding off or driving recklessly. That’s pretty smart. Scary smart.
    (I assume they have it cancelled…)

I looked into it but at a $600/year subscription, while it’d be cool to have a camera I can pass on that one.

It’s a good theory, I guess, but the pencil necked swivel seated geeks push their stupid theories way too far, in the name of liability avoidance.

Like the billboard south of Lafayette that says “if you slowed down to read this you saved gas”. Retarded.
    SAIA has those but Estes only has forward looking cameras. Maybe we need some of those randomly scattered around our Senate meeting rooms. Oh, wait…..

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I always saw the electric car as a commuter/shopping car of the suburbs, where the charging station was in the owners home. Everything about this tech is going in different directions from this, but I still believe that it's the only economic model that might work.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I always saw the electric car as a commuter/shopping car of the suburbs, where the charging station was in the owners home. Everything about this tech is going in different directions from this, but I still believe that it's the only economic model that might work.
    I’ve said for awhile I could see buying one in a few years but just for these types of purposes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The cost of smugness.

”According to Tesla's navigation, the trip from Chicago to New York would be about 16 hours compared to the 13-hour trip for a gas-powered vehicle.

Throughout the trip, he made eight stops to charge the car and watched the efficiency drop after each stop.

Cost-wise, Flock explained that charging was similar to getting fuel, "so you're not saving money, you're saving the planet."”

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That is how I use mine. The cost of using a charging station is probably pretty close to just buying gas. I have some "free" charging that was included with my car, but I doubt I will ever use it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The cost of smugness.

”According to Tesla's navigation, the trip from Chicago to New York would be about 16 hours compared to the 13-hour trip for a gas-powered vehicle.

Throughout the trip, he made eight stops to charge the car and watched the efficiency drop after each stop.

Cost-wise, Flock explained that charging was similar to getting fuel, "so you're not saving money, you're saving the planet."”

He's right. You pay somewhere north of .36 a KWH. That is 3+ times more than you pay at home.

80% of my charge would be about the same as paying for 8-9 gallons of gas.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Several months ago TFL took a Ford Lightning all the way up to Dead Horse Alaska. As I watched the video it looked to me like any remote trip is going revolve around making arrangements to charge. I think they set out to show it was doable. I think they proved the technology is not ready to replace ICE vehicles. They have a place. If electric is your only vehicle there are just going to be things you can’t do.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Plus 3 extra hours of your life stuck in a truck stop/gas station.
    Wait……..

Anyway, it likely might turn the trip into an overnighter. With the added expense of a hotel room. But of course, you single handedly nearly saved the planet…….

I’ve spent a lot of my life in truck stops, but I always had a bedroom of some sort along for the ride.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Plus 3 extra hours of your life stuck in a truck stop/gas station.
    Yeah. I think places of interest/ tourist traps will end up with chargers. People can stop, charge, and have something to do while they charge.

I'm one of those that hates to stop when I am on the road, so that would drive me nuts. There is always the option of renting a car if someone needs to take a trip. For me, I have no plans to go anywhere.

Top Bottom