• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, and word to the wise on leaving spark plugs in for 220,000 miles. I don't recommend it at all, but I REALLY don't recommend it if you have aluminum heads unless you really, really want to try out helicoils. Luckily, my old 5.3L is the all iron version, so the plugs came out surprisingly easily (had to warm up the truck for 1).
    That’s the secret even on the Fords. Warm it up to operating temp. It might be a bit rough on the chevy with the engine hot but not the Ford.
    Use anti seize.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That’s the secret even on the Fords. Warm it up to operating temp. It might be a bit rough on the chevy with the engine hot but not the Ford.
    Use anti seize.
    Indeed. When I did my truck, I started in on the first, forgetting to warm it, but it can out pretty easy. All but 1 did.

If I was doing something with aluminum heads, I would throw every trick in the book at it. Warm it, spray some penetrant down there the day before, etc.

Antiseize always. As I explained to my son who was replacing the driver-side outside mirror as I was doing the plugs, you antiseize for the next guy and if I'm the next guy, something will have gone seriously wrong as I'm hoping to buy late winter.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wife was complaining about her Lexus being a little squirrely in the recent snow. Her Michelin Defender LTX tires have been great in the winter. While not down to the wear bars, they are on their last leg. After a quick search of Facebook marketplace, I scooped up a set of nearly new Nokian Hakkapellita 8 SUV tires and wheels for under $500.

It's long been my contention that an average set of winter tires will outperform an average set of all-seasons by 100% in the winter. But Nokians ain't average. The grip of these on hardpacked snow is so stupid it's almost dangerous. You find yourself driving like you're on dry pavement. I had a set of Hakkas on a FWD Bonneville 20 years ago that I thought couldn't be improved upon. These are better in every way. In addition to the traction they are quiet and ride great. None of the "squishy" feeling common to many winter tires.

I have a great set of Pirelli all-seasons on my Audi. I wasn't gonna get a winter set for it, but now I want some.

IZZ1wA6l.jpg

V5rmU5Ol.jpg

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    But Nokians ain't average. The grip of these on hardpacked snow is so stupid it's almost dangerous. You find yourself driving like you're on dry pavement.

I thought the same about the first set of modern snow tires I bought, many cars ago. I don’t remember the brand. I thought the same about basically every set i’ve bought since then, again, regardless of the brand. The last set I got was the latest Blizzak model and the grip of those was so good they could... etc etc. Ive never been disappointed with any set of name-brand winter tires.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I thought the same about the first set of modern snow tires I bought, many cars ago. I don’t remember the brand. I thought the same about basically every set i’ve bought since then, again, regardless of the brand. The last set I got was the latest Blizzak model and the grip of those was so good they could... etc etc. Ive never been disappointed with any set of name-brand winter tires.
    I have a set of General Altimax Arctics that we used on her old Lexus. They happen to be for sale in the classifieds right now.:whistle:

Anyhoo, those come in at a lower price point than the Nokians or Blizzaks. They still offer very good grip in the snow, but where they fall short of spendier options are their dry pavement manners. They're a little noisy on dry pavement, the sidewalls are a little squishy if you take them into a corner too hot on dry pavement. The spendier brands, thanks to some serious engineering $$$ spent on better tread patterns, better rubber compounds, better reinforcement, make the tradeoffs between a great snow tire and well mannered all-season tire almost disappear.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Finally got the WS90 Blizzaks mounted and installed on the front of the 2000 Civic that was free. It was a give away from my neighbor. Definitely better in the snow. :thumbsup: Its actually a fun car. Just wish it was a manual.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm leaning towards a Nissan Titan (gas engine) for the next one so if anyone has any experience....
    Depends on the year. NONE of them are anywhere near any kind of fuel efficiency you're currently enjoying with the 'Rado you have.

The newest gen Titans have been panned for being too small and wimpy - like both models (Standard and HD) are 4/5ths of their competition as far as payload and towing capacity goes. That may matter.

I'd stop in your local Nissan dealership with a dozen doughnuts and see if you can bend the ear of a mechanic as far as what are the best years - mechanically speaking.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My DD? 2019 Camry SE, baby.

I can get almost 40mpg with summer gas @ 70mph.
    That's interesting. I had a 2018 Camry as a company car. I never set the MPG meter thingee for 80K miles. It read right at 28 MPG.

My current company car, a 2020 Rav4 is at 27.2 for 25K miles. Due to covid, those are mostly short trips.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That's interesting. I had a 2018 Camry as a company car. I never set the MPG meter thingee for 80K miles. It read right at 28 MPG.

My current company car, a 2020 Rav4 is at 27.2 for 25K miles. Due to covid, those are mostly short trips.
    The newest gen Camrys have an 8spd transmission. I thought an '18 was the 1st model year. But yes, in town it's down near 30mpg.

We're awaiting a new van. 35mpg!

Top Bottom