• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I feel a bit out of place with all these trucks but about a month ago I sold my 09’ GTI with 115k miles and picked up a 17’ Audi A6 Competition. It’s more suited for my elderly body but still has enough umph for my boy racer heart. 3.0 liter Supercharged V6 with 8 Speed Automatic with Sport Mode and shifter paddles. Sport suspension and differential, Drive Select, Hud, full surround camera, lane assist, adaptive cruis control, fully powered leather sport seats with heat, heated steering wheel, etc, etc. very comfortable car with enough power to have some fun in the Autobahn, ER, I mean interstate. View attachment 196929 View attachment 196931 View attachment 196932 View attachment 196933 View attachment 196934 View attachment 196935 View attachment 196936
    She's a beaut Clark.:wow:

Ima gonna stick with my Dakota Grey(AKA Old Man Beige) A6.

Draws less attention from the cops than RED.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

Believe me I didn’t want red but this is a one year production car for Audi. It’s basically an S6 with a 3.0 Supercharged engine instead of the 4.0 Turbo. I love the smoothness of the 3.0 and the 340 HP on this version is fine with me. It was a corporate car so it has every option available then except night vision. It’s really a great car. Plus the dealer put a new water pump, rotors, pads, oil change and a set of Continental DWS06 All Seasons. I’m hoping to drive this one a while.
    Funny thing is I was looking for an A6 TDI or regular 3.0 in white or silver and my roommate saw this and asked what I thought. Went there the next morning and as they say the rest is history.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Believe me I didn’t want red but this is a one year production car for Audi. It’s basically an S6 with a 3.0 Supercharged engine instead of the 4.0 Turbo. I love the smoothness of the 3.0 and the 340 HP on this version is fine with me. It was a corporate car so it has every option available then except night vision. It’s really a great car. Plus the dealer put a new water pump, rotors, pads, oil change and a set of Continental DWS06 All Seasons. I’m hoping to drive this one a while.
    Funny thing is I was looking for an A6 TDI or regular 3.0 in white or silver and my roommate saw this and asked what I thought. Went there the next morning and as they say the rest is history.
    I looked long and hard last spring for an A6/7 TDI. A few years ago they were a dime a dozen, now, good luck.

I have accepted that I will likely never reach the maturity required to responsibly drive an Audi with a 'S' in it's name.

The 3.0 is plenty fast to get me in trouble.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    49701102846_f9df764d45_k.jpg

52029529108_832e1198f0_k.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I looked long and hard last spring for an A6/7 TDI. A few years ago they were a dime a dozen, now, good luck.

I have accepted that I will likely never reach the maturity required to responsibly drive an Audi with a 'S' in it's name.

The 3.0 is plenty fast to get me in trouble.
    The TDIs are out there, just sorta hard to find. The Competition really fits my wants/needs perfectly as it has all of the S features with the less powerful but more dependable V6.
    I had a 15’ Q5 TDI and loved it but a dealer dangled a shiny new Allroad in front of me and I traded it in. The newness, and the 2.0T, wore off pretty quickly and it was traded for an SQ5. Man that is a fun SUV!!
    I love the A6 though and it’s my favorite daily now.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Same here. I would love an S6 but with 1 kid in college and another one headed this fall, I have to wait... Plus the fiasco with the 4.0 turbos is a problem. VAG should have offered extended warranties or a recall. That was a bad look for the brand.

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Yeah man, they giddyup!

I have the 5.0, with a cai/exhaust/tune. It's great fun to drive. I made the mistake of driving a tuned 3.5TT......and now my truck feels slow.
    I’d love to have a 5.0 just for the exhaust, but I do love the 3.5, she’ll definitely get down the road! I gave serious consideration to upgrading the turbos but decided to just keep it stock… for now.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Same here. I would love an S6 but with 1 kid in college and another one headed this fall, I have to wait... Plus the fiasco with the 4.0 turbos is a problem. VAG should have offered extended warranties or a recall. That was a bad look for the brand.

Very nice! :thumbsup:
    Yeah, I stay away from the 4.0 like the plague! The 3.0 Supercharged is a really good engine and in the Competition they put out 340hp vs the 333 of regular A6. A whole whopping 6 HP! It’s very smooth and and very linear in its power output.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Finally got my kid to deliver the set of wheels I bought from his roommate in Kansas City back in January...

lpEJ1PLl.jpg

I prefer Audi 'rotors' to their 'peelers' but $500 for a pristine set of peelers was too good a deal to pass up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I figured something out on the Dad Wagon (Scion xB)

You can dim the dash light completely out!

Before
    PXL_20220708_024655286.jpg

After
    PXL_20220708_024707160.jpg

On a dark night, this really helps me see outside. The only downside is I don't know how fast I'm going.

I drive at night for a living, so the darker the cab, for me, the better.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I figured something out on the Dad Wagon (Scion xB)

You can dim the dash light completely out!

Before
    View attachment 210269

After
    View attachment 210270

On a dark night, this really helps me see outside. The only downside is I don't know how fast I'm going.

I drive at night for a living, so the darker the cab, for me, the better.
    Oh that’s nice! I hate bright dash lights, to much glare, my wife on the other hand likes them as bright as the noon sun. I’m like crap woman, do you just hate seeing where you’re going or what you’re about to hit!?!?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Oh that’s nice! I hate bright dash lights, to much glare, my wife on the other hand likes them as bright as the noon sun. I’m like crap woman, do you just hate seeing where you’re going or what you’re about to hit!?!?
    My wife is the same way. I've even tried explaining and showing her but it doesn't help.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Part of me misses having a BMW because of the red on the dash... the rest of me is glad to have parted ways.
    That's one of the few downsides about the dad wagon. I LOTHE orange dash lights. It goes back to the 90's Pontiac's. I had a few and just hated them; the car in general and their hue of orange/red they used for lights. I prefer blues/greens. The hue the xB has isn't as horrible as the Ponchos, but it's still not good.

I've seen on YT that I can change the LED's on my dash cluster to a blue. I'm thinking about buying a used cluster off of eBay for about $40 and trying it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I always liked the Pontiac Orange dash because the reds/oranges are ideal and cause less night vision loss.

Red light has minimal effect on night vision because its energy level is so low that the eye doesn’t register it strongly enough to produce a compensatory reaction. (Red light, for those interested in the physics of these things, has the longest, slowest wavelength of any form of visible light and thus the least energy–as you shift toward the blue end of the spectrum, wavelengths shorten and energy levels rise.)
    Green or blue-green has a greater capacity to adversely effect night vision because the eye is about 100 times more sensitive to these colors, so even moderately too bright light can have a serious deleterious effect.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Wife came home today and the van smelled funny she said. A quick sniff said it was brakes. The LR wheel was hot! So a trip to the parts store and a new caliper and bracket are installed. The pads and rotor are less than a year old so they stayed

I flushed as much brake fluid as I could without getting into the other calipers. I had all of the parts ready so the line came off the old caliper, was cleaned up, new crush washers on and right on the new caliper.

This happened at exactly 109,000 miles.

PXL_20220831_213523820.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Wife came home today and the van smelled funny she said. A quick sniff said it was brakes. The LR wheel was hot! So a trip to the parts store and a new caliper and bracket are installed. The pads and rotor are less than a year old so they stayed

I flushed as much brake fluid as I could without getting into the other calipers. I had all of the parts ready so the line came off the old caliper, was cleaned up, new crush washers on and right on the new caliper.

View attachment 221104
    Had the same thing happen on my old car. Got out when I got home and was like what the heck is that smell and what the heck is smoking!?!?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

View attachment 221104

I am pretty sure you are mechanically inclined so please don't be offended by the below comments.

How old is the brake hose? Could you tell the caliper was actually stuck?

The reason I ask is a hose that is old will collapse on itself cause the brakes to hang up which will do what you have experienced.

I learned the hard way. Mine "locked" up. So I rebuilt the caliper. It locked up again so I lambasted myself for doing a crappy job on the rebuild and went and put a new one on. It locked up. This time I replaced the brake hose. Has been fine ever since.

Just keep and eye/nose on it. If it gets hot and stinky again, but a brake hose and change it out.

Top Bottom