• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I know it's not the fuel pump that went out, but was replaced because of dropping the tank for the fuel lines as a precaution, I don't think I've ever replaced a fuel pump where the tank was under 1/2 full. Never fails. Usually 3/4 or more of a tank. Probably just my luck
    Yes sir. 04 with 155K on the counter. I see the pump as the next issue in the rotation.
    I am seriously considering giving the truck to the kids. We all need access to a truck at times. It will still be parked in the same spot out front and they will take good care of it.
    In this I want any issue at hand or impending to be taken care of.those pumps ain’t cheap either.
    The tank was topped off when she left the house. We were cycling out some of the reserve fuel and topped off all the tanks.
    She lost half a tank getting home.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    View attachment 166104

Picked up my rental today while I wait on insurance. Do I mix the oil 40:1 or 50:1? They didn’t say.
    If the fan belt breaks...
    th.jpg

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Gonna have to find a dually rear end for the ranger if the boss asking me to tow stuff :laugh:. Moved his boat from cold to climate controlled storage in the shop maybe 1/2 mile.
    4C408C0E-97C8-46AB-9235-76C0366E49F0.jpeg
    I thought about bringing the gmc to work today but i didnt think the boss would actually want to move it today.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    View attachment 166037

Well I have to say goodbye to my baby tomorrow. 2006 VW GLI with a stage 1 tune, putting out close to 250 HP with a 6 sp manual gearbox. I’ve owned quite a few cars, but this was by far the funnest car that I’ve owned. It was pretty fast, and had no problem breaking the tires loose in 3rd gear. Total sleeper.

Unfortunately, the early 2.0T engines were problematic, and I spent most weekends wrenching on it, as it had 190k on the odometer. Had some asshat smack the side of her last week, and it’s a total loss. Tow truck comes tomorrow to pick it up. I have mixed emotions because I hated constantly working on it, but I still loved that car.
    Felt the same when I got rid of my 6speed A4. Objectively not a good DD, but I loved it.

Tried driving a "reliable" Acura(Honda) for awhile. I hated it. Even hated it more when the trannie puked at 120K.

While my current A6 lacks some of the 'fun' factor the A4 had, the power of the supercharged 3.0 makes me giggle a little. And the 8 speed auto lets me get 33mpg on 80MPH runs across the Ohio/Pennsylvania Turnpike to see the grandkid...

7iHZ8F9l.jpg

And as I vigorously knock on wood, it's been trouble free so far.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ye Olde 2007 Silverado- 5.3L w/ 4l60E. 219,000+ miles. I bought it in about 2010 with 32,000 miles. I've been told that neither the engine, nor the trans should last this long.

Let's see- a complete list of repairs.
    RF airbag sensor at about 200,000 miles
    Both front hubs and swat bar end links at about 170,000 miles
    Purge solenoid at about 190,000 miles
    TPMS sensors at about 190,000 miles
    New front door speakers at about 180,000 miles

End of mechanical repairs.

As to maintenance items, I have changed the front brake pads many times and the rotors 2 or 3 times. The rear drum shoes were done at 157,000 miles. I change the oil a little more often than the computer says I should, but I go to about 7-8,000 miles. I have always used Mobil 1, now "High Mileage". I only use Wix filters.

I have no warning lights are all and the air blows cold. No visible rust. It got rust above the wheel wells in the back like pretty much every '07-'13 Silverado. I ground and cut it out, treated the area and bolted on fender flares that completely cover the area with inches to spare. I have replaced the front bumper 3 times...2 of those those were my fault. The truck came with a small dent in the bumper and I got tired of it after a couple years so I replaced it with a cheap Chinese bumper. Then I rear ended a vehicle that stopped at a yield, started, then stopped again...I only stopped the 1 time. After that, I put the original bumper back on. Then, I had a similar accident again...only my wife was driving the vehicle in front. Yes- damaged 2 of my own vehicles in one accident. I put a new bumper on again...and replaced the grill for looks.

It gets light, but frequent use. 70 mile round trip commute every day. I also pull various trailers several times a year, weekly in the warm months. It's been a great truck.

Here it is with something like 1,500 lbs of old concrete in the bed.

truck.jpg

I am hoping to get a new (likely new to me) truck after the holidays.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm leaning towards a Nissan Titan (gas engine) for the next one so if anyone has any experience....
    My daughter had an Altima for years. Loved it, through her early 20's female driving, non-car-taking-care-of years. She bought it well seasoned with a lot of miles on the OD. She drove it into the ground and had to be told more than once to be shopping for the next one.

She finally bought another Altima, five years newer. Nice car, but riddled with issues, a lot of them by design and unfixable.

Daughter bought the Altima initially because I had a couple of 240SX's while she was growing. We both loved those cars, but they had high mileage timing chain issues that rivalled the worth of the car to repair.

Moral of story; research, research, research on any vehicle and it's model year.

My :twocents:...

Never say never, but I am inclined to not buy another vehicle that isn't the top seller in that vehicle's category. The factory and online support for F150 or Tacoma vs everything else is incomparable.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I imagine the Nissan is fine but knowing how shaky the company is and how it seems to go from one crisis to another would make me pause at buying one.

Looking at all the full size trucks, the Nissan would be at the bottom for me.

FWIW:
    Tundra
    GM/Ford equal
    Ram
    Nissan

Hough, I have no admissible evidence that the Nissan is inferior because that is one of the few vehicles we don't have much content on other than a headlamp lens. What I do know is Toyota is at the top of the heap when it comes to quality, tolerances and specifications.

Toyota is frustrating to work with but that is how they do what they do.

GM, Ford and Ram all have good trucks and the quality is way better than in years past, but they are a little looser on things then Toyota is. Or Honda. But Honda doesn't make a full size truck.

In the end, whatever you buy, if you maintain it and treat it decently, it will go 219,000+ miles without creating major repairs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One research method I use is looking on the various nationwide used car websites (Autotrader, Cargurus, Auto Tempest) and gettng idea of the highest mileage examples out there. Now, I know this goes most brands, but there are a lot of 300,000 mile Titans out there.

My major criteria are: full sized 1/2 ton, V8, crew cab, not overly optioned. I don't need 4wd, but finding 2wd is pretty tough these days. Total price is a factor as I would prefer to write a check. I really like my Chevy, but the prices are horrendous on Silverados. Titans seem to be the most truck for the money right now and I really like the 5.6L V8. The fact that other trucks may get a mile or 2 more per gallon means nothing to me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One research method I use is looking on the various nationwide used car websites (Autotrader, Cargurus, Auto Tempest) and gettng idea of the highest mileage examples out there. Now, I know this goes most brands, but there are a lot of 300,000 mile Titans out there.

My major criteria are: full sized 1/2 ton, V8, crew cab, not overly optioned. I don't need 4wd, but finding 2wd is pretty tough these days. Total price is a factor as I would prefer to write a check. I really like my Chevy, but the prices are horrendous on Silverados. Titans seem to be the most truck for the money right now and I really like the 5.6L V8. The fact that other trucks may get a mile or 2 more per gallon means nothing to me.
    Well they are a "Titan"!

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm leaning towards a Nissan Titan (gas engine) for the next one so if anyone has any experience....

Had a 4x4 crew cab Nissan Titan which was a nice truck. But could never get more than 14 MPG even on the highway.
    If the mileage isn't an issue for you I say go for it, but remember it only has a 5-1/2' bed I think.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom