• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Of course I can't remember, but somewhere buried in one of the hundred WWII books I read it was discussed.
    The book might even be in my living room.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had the opportunity to visit the Willow Run plant a few times. This was the largest single factory I think I'd ever been in. Buick City was a big place but Willow Run aircraft assembly building was simply huge. Many of us don't realize the facilities and resources it took to build the machines of war during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Run

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Leaders do not go to war by themselves.

Killing leaders can cripple capability but may or may not affect the will of the people to go on. That affect can be positive or negative.

Sometimes you just have to keep killing everyone involved until they change their minds. Or don't have a mind left to change.

Back to the OP, the B-52 is still the most awesome looking bomber ever built. Some are bigger, some are faster, but the BUFF looks more like flying whoopass than anything yet built.

Time for some noise:

[video=youtube;LU6DoQOd6z0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6DoQOd6z0[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There's a B-36 at the Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. If you've not been, I HIGHLY recommend going. There's a B-52 there, too. Amongst a few hundred other aircraft.

I am working on the afterburner of an F-111

I know a guy who used to fly those. Look up Operation El Dorado Canyon. Guy I know was there. And is still pissed.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    First time I was at the Air Force Museum 40 years ago, they had one hangar and some outside. Last time I took my son they were working on opening the third, now I think they have four. There's a B36D, B52, the remaining B70, a B1, B29 Bock's Car, just about everything the AF has ever admitted to. If you're into airplanes at all, put a huge SD card in your camera and shoot airplane pr0n until you can't walk straight. Hangar 18 isn't in the public area.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Do they have an SR71?

If you have never been to the museum, GO.

I predate Evilwrench, I first saw it 50 years ago when my dad took me as a kid. The Valkyrie used to be out front in the weather. Now it fits inside, along a bunch of other stuff. It probably has more airplanes than many nations' air forces.

GO, even if it is cold. Especially if it is cold lousy weather, you'll have the place to yourself.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Last time I went to the Air Force museum I was really surprised to see a B-2. Those things cost a billion dollars each. Why is it in a museum? Unless it's a prototype or mock up or something seems like a big waste.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Grew up in Dayton and remember when the XB-70 flew into Patterson Field. First time Dad took me to the museum was 1965, at Patterson Field. When the new Air Force Museum opened, they towed all the aircraft up highway 444 to Wright Field.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Last time I went to the Air Force museum I was really surprised to see a B-2. Those things cost a billion dollars each. Why is it in a museum? Unless it's a prototype or mock up or something seems like a big waste.

Pre-development engineering and aerodynamic prototype. Not cost effective to bring it up to fleet standard.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Structural Testing
    Northrop Grumman constructed two additional aircraft without engines or instruments for fatigue testing. On the second of those test aircraft (the B-2 on display at the museum), engineers attached computer-controlled, hydraulically driven plates along the airframe to simulate all flying conditions. They calculated that the structure would reach 150 percent of the design specifications, but the wing withstood stresses over 161 percent before it finally cracked.
    Northrop B-2 Spirit > National Museum of the US Air Force? > Display

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I mentioned above that I know a guy that used to fly F111s. I'm FB friends with him. Not too long ago, one of his other friends posted on his wall about how cool that museum is. My friend said that there are 3 F111 examples on display there - and that he had personally flown two of them during the course of his career. THAT is pretty cool.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    These have the same testing explanations as the one for the B-2, but I have seen no less than 2 F-35's in museums and they are still completing testing!

The first X-35 test aircraft at the Air and Space annex at Dulles airport"
    zkiYWsM.jpg

First full scale model in the RAF museum outside London:
    r89LVhO.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a friend...used to be my boss...then was my employee. He was an F106 squadron commander. He often talked about flying his Duece and pulling up along side a F100 that he flew in 'Nam...with his name on it...being flown as a target. He said it was a most surreal experience.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    These have the same testing explanations as the one for the B-2, but I have seen no less than 2 F-35's in museums and they are still completing testing!

The first X-35 test aircraft at the Air and Space annex at Dulles airport"
    zkiYWsM.jpg

First full scale model in the RAF museum outside London:
    r89LVhO.jpg

Gotta market the aerial equivalent of the Bridge to Nowhere to the taxpayers.

Top Bottom