• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    The rest of the caption notes this is a B-52 flying just above the ocean surface with the picture taken by a RNZAF Scooter.

“Scooter“ was the pilot’s nickname for the A-4 Skyhawk. NewZealand bought A-4F and G models and redesignated them A-4K after local mods. The Kiwis got A-4s in 1970 and retired them by 2002.

You can see the shadow of the A-4 behind the BUFF’s left wing.

This picture may not be legit, IDK. What's puzzling is there is no "rooster tail" of water being kicked up from the ocean if it really is that low. Many times, a fighter can look down and see the rooster tail of water (or dust if over the desert) and there's a low-level intruder at the front of it. I don't see it here. Strange!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    This picture may not be legit, IDK. What's puzzling is there is no "rooster tail" of water being kicked up from the ocean if it really is that low. Many times, a fighter can look down and see the rooster tail of water (or dust if over the desert) and there's a low-level intruder at the front of it. I don't see it here. Strange!
    Thing that you can't determine is perspective and depth. Yes, it is low, way lower than the scooter, but that may still be 100' off the deck. I guarantee you 100' off the deck in something that handles like a bus, is bigger than several busses and traveling at several hundred mph has got to be butt puckering.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The B-52 and it's longevity is really a fantastic story but I would have loved to have stood and watched a B-36 take off. Six turning and four burning...
    If you like the B36 some of the best aerial footage of bombers in flight is Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart. For its time it was some fantastic filming. Jimmy Stewart was also a true hero who divided his movie time with serving in the USAF. He flew bombers in WWII and remained in service finally retiring as a General. He was truly an American star unlike the spoiled brats who think they are stars today.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    If you like the B36 some of the best aerial footage of bombers in flight is Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart. For its time it was some fantastic filming. Jimmy Stewart was also a true hero who divided his movie time with serving in the USAF. He flew bombers in WWII and remained in service finally retiring as a General. He was truly an American star unlike the spoiled brats who think they are stars today.

Oh yeah I'm familiar with that movie I usually watch it once a year. Fantastic movie great visuals. In high school I wrote a paper Jimmy Stewart and his service in World War II. He's one of my favorite actors for my childhood. Winchester 73, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Naked Spur, Flight of the Phoenix, of course who could forget the Spirit of St Louis

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Thing that you can't determine is perspective and depth. Yes, it is low, way lower than the scooter, but that may still be 100' off the deck. I guarantee you 100' off the deck in something that handles like a bus, is bigger than several busses and traveling at several hundred mph has got to be butt puckering.
    Been there, done that. But over kand, not water.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Here are pictures of a B-52 flying past USS Ranger and USS Independence below their flight decks. See any “rooster tails?”

ETA: googling around, it seems aircraft carrier flight decks are about 60 feet, sometimes less, above the water line.

IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sandboxx did a video on this series of fly-by’s just y’day.

Denny note:
    One thing he didn’t mention is that apparently the pictures that are taken where you can see the aircraft tail flash and the E-2 rotodome were taken from the USS independence, not the Ranger. This is appended to the article I linked above. Navy people noticed the squadron markings on the plane, and realized that squadron was on the independence at the time that picture was taken.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Top Bottom