• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm currently in a 24 hour fasted state, with a goal of going another 24 hours. I've done 24 hour fasts before, and in reality, I probably don't feel any different than previous fasts. However, I could whip a bear with a switch right now. Probably the thought of going another day with no food is making me cranky.

I got tired of drinking plain water, so I grabbed some Vitamin Water Zero at Walmart today. It's got zero calories so it shouldn't break my fast. Gonna sip on that for a while to see if it soothes my nerves any.

I'm no wizard at long fasting, but the times that I have snuck my daily fast into a second day have been days where I stayed constantly busy. Short of sleep, staying busy, mind and body, without time to dwell on hunger, much less any reminders, seemed the way to go for me.

No TV, no interwebz, no sitting down until you are ready to drop...

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Not quite three quarters done with the 48 hour fast, but I’ll throw an update out there.

I made it through the evening last night, but I woke up pretty hungry this morning. I also had to pee a lot last night; I think a lack of carbs plus extra water consumed has a lot to do with it. My brain felt a little foggy this morning too.

Even though I felt odd, I still went to the gym. I was worried about a lack of energy, but my worries went away quickly. It was just the opposite. I felt like I had an energy burst almost from the start. I read that day two is where your body is cranking out HGH. That may have been what helped me out. That foggy brain I had going quickly burned off too. Finally, the pump I had this morning was fantastic.

In summary, I feel really good right now and only have the slightest of hunger pains. If I feel this good tonight, I may push this to 72 hours.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Not quite three quarters done with the 48 hour fast, but I’ll throw an update out there.

I made it through the evening last night, but I woke up pretty hungry this morning. I also had to pee a lot last night; I think a lack of carbs plus extra water consumed has a lot to do with it. My brain felt a little foggy this morning too.

Even though I felt odd, I still went to the gym. I was worried about a lack of energy, but my worries went away quickly. It was just the opposite. I felt like I had an energy burst almost from the start. I read that day two is where your body is cranking out HGH. That may have been what helped me out. That foggy brain I had going quickly burned off too. Finally, the pump I had this morning was fantastic.

In summary, I feel really good right now and only have the slightest of hunger pains. If I feel this good tonight, I may push this to 72 hours.
    Working out in a fasted state is actually amazing, as you've just found out.

The frequent urination is common to longer (more than 24 hour) fasts. I think it's less about how much water you drink, and more about using up glycogen stores (6 H2O for each glycogen molecule, IIRC), and water loss from lypolysis once you're in ketosis.

HGH and autophagy will both increase until a peak at about 72 hours fasted, but will remain elevated below that peak until you break the fast. AMP-K is awesome like that.

As for brain fog: it could be related to fasting detox (the body stores a lot of toxins in adipose tissue). Once you reach steady state with routine fasting, you shouldn't experience it at all. In fact, I do my best brain work when fasted 36 hours or so.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Working out in a fasted state is actually amazing, as you've just found out.

The frequent urination is common to longer (more than 24 hour) fasts. I think it's less about how much water you drink, and more about using up glycogen stores (6 H2O for each glycogen molecule, IIRC), and water loss from lypolysis once you're in ketosis.

HGH and autophagy will both increase until a peak at about 72 hours fasted, but will remain elevated below that peak until you break the fast. AMP-K is awesome like that.

As for brain fog: it could be related to fasting detox (the body stores a lot of toxins in adipose tissue). Once you reach steady state with routine fasting, you shouldn't experience it at all. In fact, I do my best brain work when fasted 36 hours or so.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Your comments match what I’ve researched almost perfectly.

The one thing I haven’t experienced yet is that increased focus and concentration. I don’t think I’ve suffered either though. I’m very happy with the results so far.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    And oddly enough, my right knee started to ache the night after posting this, but Monday I could barely put any pressure on it. The pelletor tendon had tendonitis and it sucks. I can barely walk 1/16 a mile and by evening my knee is extremely painful. I can't take any nsaids, so I'm stuck with topical nsaids and tylenol. Could take six weeks to fully heal. I don't plan on doing squat these next two days I'm off to give my knee a rest.
    And just as quickly as my knee started to hurt, it quit hurting. I guess I should have waited more then a day before I went to a doctor. I walked a mile tonight at work just to see if it would hurt again and it isn't. Now my ankles that have bone spurs, they do all the time but that is a different issue.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Home from over-eating in California and my official weigh in on the scale this morning was . . . drum roll please: 178.2#

So I stayed under my maximum target of 180# but I'm still back over my goal weight. I want to get back down into the 173# range, so I need a 5# loss. But pretty happy to remain below 180 given my recent lack of activity, arthritis issues, and vacation gorging and binging.

BTW, if you want to retain your sanity stay out of California. Paid $6.29 for gas, $5.99 for a dozen eggs at the grocery store, lunch with my daughter was a burger + a sandwich + 2 waters = $45. Dinner with wife + daughter averaged over $300. WTF?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the confirmation to stay away from CA...

I had some really hungry days this week. I stayed the course (mostly), but it was a real struggle. Every time I eat, I get an almost overwhelming urge to not stop. Hopefully, this lessens over time.

GW: 235.0
    SW: 318.8
    CW: 310.0
    TL: 8.8
    WL: 4.4 (week over week)

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Thanks for the confirmation to stay away from CA...

I had some really hungry days this week. I stayed the course (mostly), but it was a real struggle. Every time I eat, I get an almost overwhelming urge to not stop. Hopefully, this lessens over time.

GW: 235.0
    SW: 318.8
    CW: 310.0
    TL: 8.8
    WL: 4.4 (week over week)

Stay on track. The more succcess and wins you have, the more motivated you'll be to maintain and push forward.

Would giving yourself a goal help. Maybe if you hit a certain weight you'll take a nice vacation or buy yourself a large-ticket item you've been drooling over?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Yesterday afternoon around 5:00 p.m. should have ended my 48 hour fast, but I felt so good I decided to push it to 72 hours. I'm a little hungry right now, but I'm in no way miserable. I could push another day if I wanted, but from what I read, three days is kind of the sweet spot for fasting. That's about as long as your body can hold off before it starts consuming muscle.

Two things to note. One is that I've been freezing to death while fasting. I googled the subject and it said that could possibly happen. The other is I'm craving bread like crazy. I could eat a five gallon bucket of Texas Roadhouse dinner rolls right now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yesterday afternoon around 5:00 p.m. should have ended my 48 hour fast, but I felt so good I decided to push it to 72 hours. I'm a little hungry right now, but I'm in no way miserable. I could push another day if I wanted, but from what I read, three days is kind of the sweet spot for fasting. That's about as long as your body can hold off before it starts consuming muscle.

Two things to note. One is that I've been freezing to death while fasting. I googled the subject and it said that could possibly happen. The other is I'm craving bread like crazy. I could eat a five gallon bucket of Texas Roadhouse dinner rolls right now.

Are you staying away from grains all together or only for the fast?

Sounds like you are doing a great job with it. Wonder if after a long fast like this is a good time to just not go back to a problem food like bread?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Are you staying away from grains all together or only for the fast?

Sounds like you are doing a great job with it. Wonder if after a long fast like this is a good time to just not go back to a problem food like bread?

I started out drinking Vitamin Water Zero during the fast, but decided after the first day it's only going to be water during a fast and nothing else. I want it to be as pure as possible. I haven't sworn off grains altogether, but I've tried to greatly lessen the amount I consume.

FYI, I'm down nine pounds after a three day fast. A great deal of it is water. Saturday is my weigh-in day, so I'll be curious where I land after getting back to a more "normal" eating pattern. If things turn out well, I may start doing a three day fast twice a month to see if I can reshape my body somewhat. It's too early to tell, but I do think there's been minimal reshaping in just three days. I took a beginning photo. I'll know more as I get further into the program.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    SYnWxUw.jpg

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The fasting is working. I grabbed a black dress belt I haven't work for maybe a couple of weeks and the damn thing is too big now, which both sucks and is excellent at the same time. The other thing I noticed was my belly. The whole reason I tried the fasting program was to try and reduce my belly. A week ago my big old gut partially covered up my belt when I tucked my shirt in. Today, I swear I can see way more belt than I have in years, so I do think it shrank. I'm encouraged and will stick with intermittent fasting for the time being to see where this goes.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Stay on track. The more succcess and wins you have, the more motivated you'll be to maintain and push forward.

Would giving yourself a goal help. Maybe if you hit a certain weight you'll take a nice vacation or buy yourself a large-ticket item you've been drooling over?
    Thanks. There are some things that I have mulled over, but nothing concrete. I have failed often enough that I don't want to layer on more opportunity for disappointment. Getting below 300 will be a nice milestone, and 290 even better. If I get below 280, I will have a lot more confidence in actually continuing to goal weight. 280 is a roadblock for me; I have been there many times and that's usually when it starts going the other way.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The fasting is working. I grabbed a black dress belt I haven't work for maybe a couple of weeks and the damn thing is too big now, which both sucks and is excellent at the same time. The other thing I noticed was my belly. The whole reason I tried the fasting program was to try and reduce my belly. A week ago my big old gut partially covered up my belt when I tucked my shirt in. Today, I swear I can see way more belt than I have in years, so I do think it shrank. I'm encouraged and will stick with intermittent fasting for the time being to see where this goes.

Extended fasting was hands-down the best weight loss program for me. The weight just kept coming off, and in visible areas. I too found 72 hours to be a sweet spot. I went up into the 120s a few times and did not find significant benefits outside of the mental conditioning.

The cold and carb cravings are normal, I feel ya on the basket of rolls!

After about three months of fasting cycles, my body was depleted. The weight loss was awesome, but I could tell that I should be done. I got back into a regular eating pattern and it was smooth sailing for a few weeks, Then I started fasting again but could not be consistent. I would binge and fast, binge and fast, until there was more binge than fast. The weight started to come back, my emotions crashed, and I spent the next year putting most of the loss back on.

If you are strong enough mentally, you can keep up with the rigors of prolonged fasting. I was/am not. Maybe someday, but once bitten, twice shy. . .

Keep up the great work!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The results of my three day fast are in. I'm going to officially call a 4.5 pound weight loss this past week. What's more impressive, I just finished my three mile run. It's the first outdoor run I've done in two weeks, and I absolutely obliterated my best time. I shaved almost two minutes off due to being able to run through two sections of the route I would normally walk. I couldn't believe how good I felt once I hit those rest sections, so I just powered right through them.

This is a "normal" eat week for me, but I'm going to try another three dayer again starting a week from tomorrow and see what the results are. I apologize if I'm a little over the top with my enthusiasm, but it thrills me when I can find something that's not a scam or a hustle. This may be one of those things.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hovering in the 176# range.

All due to reasonable control of diet. Very little exercise. I managed to get a heck of a blister on a toe, so while my arthritis is currently calmed down, the freakin' blister is preventing any real treadmill workouts. I will get in some resistance band workout today.

Today is liquid diet day.

Not by choice.

As men of a certain age will understand, tomorrow is colonoscopy day. (My 4th adventure in colon sedation and predation). Strong advice for newbies to this golden rite of senior passage, a day of liquid diet, prior to the medically induced purge, is advised.

Top Bottom