• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well here I am, five and a half years after starting this thread and still struggling. The good news is I have not gained from the 254 I was when I started the thread. The bad news is at the beginning of this year, I was still 250.

Since Jan. 1, I am down 9 pounds. I started Trulicity a month ago, which may be affecting my appetite. For breakfast and lunch, I'm living on cottage cheese and boiled eggs, neither of which I mind that much. For dinner, sometimes meat and a veg, and other times meat and veg with some pasta or rice. Hopefully this time I will keep going.

I thought I would post just in case anyone else is still struggling. You are not alone. We can do it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Still struggling, still a fatty. Hasn't helped going from Bronchitis in early December (normally runs a 5~6 week for me, especially as I get older) x Diverticulitis attach and now Round-2 of the Rona. Rona much better today, worst day was first day with chills, fever, and body aches. Anyway I digress...

You would think health would motivate me, but I guess it does not. I did however see a commercial for healthywager.com and have since been researching this system. Seem pretty legit, I haven't pulled trigger yet (pun intended), but so far, I show:
    Weight Loss Target: 75lb in 12-months. (you set the target)
    Monthly Bet: $50 (I played around with bet amount, oddly $50 was sweet spot for profit, $100 and $150 per month were both lower profit).
    Potential Profit: Just over a $1000 (Profit = Prize - Monthly Bet total)
    Potential Money Loss: $600 (12-months @ $50/month).

Can I do this based on that? I think so...I'll update if I decide to go for it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My target for resistance training is 4 workouts per week: 2 push (mon, thu - chest press, tricep pushdown, overhead press, squat), 2 pull (tue, fri - bicep drag curl, bent row, deadlift, calf raise). My program calls for me to do 3x of each per week, with only one rest day. But, especially with my 3x per week (sun, tue, thu) alternate-day fasting, I found it to be too much. I do much better with 2x of each, with more rest days. As it is, heavy, single-rep-to-failure fully fasted on Tuesdays and Thursdays is brutal enough.

Two books that have really helped me might be useful for you: "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung, and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.
    Not sure we are talking about the same thing, resistance training. I am a absolute believer in resistance bands. I mix them in with some core exercises on the floor and some free weights. You can buy them in various resistance weights. And combine them together for more weight. I have a door device that you loop over the top of the door. Then close the door. You can do tricep push downs. And any other exercise that you can imagine. I bought the Bodylastics bands. Very impressed, holding up really well. Let me know if you need more info. Keep at it!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just checking in. I am down 21 lbs since the beginning of the year doing nothing fancy, just eating better. Haven't seen 229 in a while. I've got a ways to go, but I'm hoping I can make it under 200 by the end of the year.

Edited because apparently I can't math on Tuesdays.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Hey snap! Glad you are losing! Damn, I started that other thread a long time ago :lmfao: I never got much done past making the thread and somehow putting in more weight. In fact I got to 370 in late 2018. I got myself down to 198 in last December, I’ve gone up to about 230 now but maintain it with hiking and weightlifting. Make small changes, one thing at a time, it’s all about sustaining healthy habits tomanage weight.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hey snap! Glad you are losing! Damn, I started that other thread a long time ago :lmfao: I never got much done past making the thread and somehow putting in more weight. In fact I got to 370 in late 2018. I got myself down to 198 in last December, I’ve gone up to about 230 now but maintain it with hiking and weightlifting. Make small changes, one thing at a time, it’s all about sustaining healthy habits tomanage weight.
    Hey, good to see you! Your frame can probably handle 230 a lot better than my 5'1" frame can. :laugh: The ultimate goal is clothing without X's!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Hey, good to see you! Your frame can probably handle 230 a lot better than my 5'1" frame can. :laugh: The ultimate goal is clothing without X's!
    Yeah, I’m feeling pretty fit at 230. you’ll get there, it’s a long term game. I went from a 50-52 size pants to a 36, maybe a 34 in some brands. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^Interesting timing bw for me. I have been getting some fairly substantial cramps, mostly during the night for a long time now. At times they last for upwards of 10 minutes without subsiding.

I did some research and found that it seems to be common as people get older and that other than the pain during, it really doesn't hurt you.

But....then my trainer asked me one day if I was low in electrolytes. I take potassium and magnesium but that got me thinking about my sodium intake.

I don't eat processed foods, I have quit eating out since I'm not traveling for business anymore and I virtually never salt my food at the table.

The RDA of sodium is 2200mg. I did some calculations and determined that I was consuming less than 1000mg and some days closer to 500mg.

Plus, I drink a lot of water. On weekends I frequently work outdoors and sweat a lot plus 3 days in the gym depletes my body of necessary nutrients.

I'm still proving things out, but a couple weeks ago I started adding some sodium to some of the water I drink throughout the day, am using more salt in my cooking and am salting my vegetables at the table.

Since then, I have not had anymore cramps, knock on wood.

Plus, the veggies taste better!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    ^^^^Interesting timing bw for me. I have been getting some fairly substantial cramps, mostly during the night for a long time now. At times they last for upwards of 10 minutes without subsiding.

I did some research and found that it seems to be common as people get older and that other than the pain during, it really doesn't hurt you.

But....then my trainer asked me one day if I was low in electrolytes. I take potassium and magnesium but that got me thinking about my sodium intake.

I don't eat processed foods, I have quit eating out since I'm not traveling for business anymore and I virtually never salt my food at the table.

The RDA of sodium is 2200mg. I did some calculations and determined that I was consuming less than 1000mg and some days closer to 500mg.

Plus, I drink a lot of water. On weekends I frequently work outdoors and sweat a lot plus 3 days in the gym depletes my body of necessary nutrients.

I'm still proving things out, but a couple weeks ago I started adding some sodium to some of the water I drink throughout the day, am using more salt in my cooking and am salting my vegetables at the table.

Since then, I have not had anymore cramps, knock on wood.

Plus, the veggies taste better!
    Get Redmond's Real Salt. You'll thank me later.

Top Bottom