• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    How tall are you guys? I think that normal height guys around the 250lb isn't all that bad. You dudes like 5'5 or something lol. But, I gotta say, your progress is impressive. Won't be long before you're in banana hammocks on the beach.
    I don't think I can get away with it at 5'1". LOL

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm 6'2. I was up to 294, now under 210. I've gotten out of the "obese" range in both BMI and % body fat, but am still "overweight" in both. (Though I'm in the "my mom is starting to tell me that I shouldn't get too skinny or I'll start looking like I'm sick" range. Because moms are always biased like that.)
    At 210 and 6’2 that seems thin. I’m 6’1, 225, and I feel skinny, sometimes.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    At 210 and 6’2 that seems thin. I’m 6’1, 225, and I feel skinny, sometimes.
    Consider that I didn't have much of a base of lean muscle beneath all that - something that has shifted to my main focus at this point. I'm much thinner than I was, but not "thin" by an objective standard. (Maybe I'm "down" to the "dad bod" stage, at least?)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Weight to height ratio is heavily impacted by the amount of lean muscle mass. Which is why BMI is a poor metric of health.
    Yeah, BMI is BS to judge someone's fitness level.
    I'm not sure why people still bother with that.

Dwayne "the rock" Johnson has a BMI of around 34 apparently ... making him obese (almost morbidly obese) according to most charts.

Weight alone shouldn't be used to track someone's progress.

A lot of people who exercice in order to lose body fat also gain muscle at the same time.
    So often their body weight doesn't change if they lose 1 pound of fat, and gain 1 pound of muscle.

They get leaner but their BMI will stay the same.

It can lead to frustration if they do all the right things to get healthier (eat right, exercice etc) but still don't see their weight decrease.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm 5'9" @ 209#'s and must have no muscle cause I got a heck of a gut and some impressive love handles :(

I believe the Dr. tossed out the term morbidly obese.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Weight to height ratio is heavily impacted by the amount of lean muscle mass. Which is why BMI is a poor metric of health.
    I agree that body composition (% body fat, visceral fat mass/area) is a much better, more useful metric. But for anyone not a strength-based athlete, BMI does still have some usefulness. (That measure of "some" is certainly up for debate. I can only - just barely - healthfully get into the "normal" BMI range for my height.)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Consider that I didn't have much of a base of lean muscle beneath all that - something that has shifted to my main focus at this point. I'm much thinner than I was, but not "thin" by an objective standard. (Maybe I'm "down" to the "dad bod" stage, at least?)
    Time to lift then. If you’re a relative novice, you’ll see gains fairly quickly... but don’t look at a scale.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Time to lift then. If you’re a relative novice, you’ll see gains fairly quickly... but don’t look at a scale.
    Indeed. If I have any regrets from my high school years, it's that nobody ever had me get into the weight room. Regardless, I've made several attempts to change that over the years. Once I developed gout, I had to be careful with joint strain. I discovered high-intensity/slow weight training (Mike Mentzer, Fred Hahn, etc.). And even then, with my work/travel schedule, even getting to the gym regularly could prove challenging. (I have a Planet Fitness black card, so that I could use PF gyms in areas where I travel - and then spent a couple years traveling to podunk, Iowa, with no PF gym.)

So, my solution to that now is the X3 Elite. I'm in week 9 of the initial 12-week program, and am already noticing differences. Also, it sits in my home office, which eliminates the issues trying to get to the gym regularly. And since I'm also making sure that I don't spend all day every day at my desk, the X3 actually serves multiple purposes, by ensuring that I get at least one, 15-minute break during the day, when I do that day's workout.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Status update.

Now that I have a BMI under 25 (6'3", 197#), I find that weight loss comes with difficulty, but I am maintaining without too much difficulty by staying on the straight and narrow. I have resigned myself that there will never be a time I am not doing "no sugar-no grain". I'm not talking about never having cake (or whatever) again, but I will always have to make that the rare exception and will always be low carbing it as a general rule.

I would like to get under 190 just to see a number on the scale I haven't seen since I was a junior in high school. When I was in the best shape of my life (the college/Army National Guard years), I was 205-210.

Anyhoo, just had blood work done- Hgb A1C is at 5.0, in December it was 5.1. For context, several years ago, it was 8.5. I went low carb and exercised and brought in to the mid 5s. Then I let myself go and last August it was 10.3. I went low carb again and started exercising. I have lost about 50 lbs and my BMI is 24.6. I can do a bit better. As I stated above, this is reality now. No more backsliding.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Awesome, Hough. I'm jelly, but only because I'm a slacker and haven't made any progress since the last time I posted. (Still 16 lbs down from December, but haven't lost any more.) I actually did get on the elliptical again yesterday for the first time in months.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Awesome, Hough. I'm jelly, but only because I'm a slacker and haven't made any progress since the last time I posted. (Still 16 lbs down from December, but haven't lost any more.) I actually did get on the elliptical again yesterday for the first time in months.
    Not going backwards is truly a form of progress in this pursuit. Sounds like you're doing fine.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Status update.

Now that I have a BMI under 25 (6'3", 197#), I find that weight loss comes with difficulty, but I am maintaining without too much difficulty by staying on the straight and narrow. I have resigned myself that there will never be a time I am not doing "no sugar-no grain". I'm not talking about never having cake (or whatever) again, but I will always have to make that the rare exception and will always be low carbing it as a general rule.

I would like to get under 190 just to see a number on the scale I haven't seen since I was a junior in high school. When I was in the best shape of my life (the college/Army National Guard years), I was 205-210.

Anyhoo, just had blood work done- Hgb A1C is at 5.0, in December it was 5.1. For context, several years ago, it was 8.5. I went low carb and exercised and brought in to the mid 5s. Then I let myself go and last August it was 10.3. I went low carb again and started exercising. I have lost about 50 lbs and my BMI is 24.6. I can do a bit better. As I stated above, this is reality now. No more backsliding.
    Excellent update!

I'm not far behind you. I made it under 200 LBS (95 lbs total lost, and counting), but BMI is still not under 25. Weight loss has definitely slowed, but that is of minimal concern. I expect that, at 199, I am within 20 lbs or so of a healthy, minimum weight.

I'm due for more bloodwork, but that may be challenging in the next couple months, with upcoming work travel.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Excellent update!

I'm not far behind you. I made it under 200 LBS (95 lbs total lost, and counting), but BMI is still not under 25. Weight loss has definitely slowed, but that is of minimal concern. I expect that, at 199, I am within 20 lbs or so of a healthy, minimum weight.

I'm due for more bloodwork, but that may be challenging in the next couple months, with upcoming work travel.
    Great progress!

Top Bottom