• chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Excellent update!

I'm not far behind you. I made it under 200 LBS (95 lbs total lost, and counting), but BMI is still not under 25. Weight loss has definitely slowed, but that is of minimal concern. I expect that, at 199, I am within 20 lbs or so of a healthy, minimum weight.

I'm due for more bloodwork, but that may be challenging in the next couple months, with upcoming work travel.
    So, I still haven't been able to get that bloodwork taken care of, but I'm down to about 198 - basically holding steady over the summer, which is fine. Body recomp keeps happening. For the first time in my life, I'm wearing pants that have a longer inseam (32") than waist circumference (31"). And also for the first time that I can remember, I'm wearing shirts (LT) that don't have a size that starts with "X".

I've also been weaning myself off of my gout and blood pressure medications. I don't actually remember when my last gout flare was, and they've happened so infrequently that my acute flare meds are expiring.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Sounds like you guys are doing good. I have not lost any weight for the past yr. But, my strength has improved. 3 yrs ago I was 268 at 5'7" currently at 233. My pants went from 44" waist to 38-40" waist. Was wearing 2xl shirts that were tight around the gut and now wear xl.
    Have recently changed my weight lifting schedule from a 3 day a week full-body workout to an Upper / lower split. The 3 day a week full-body workout was great but by the third workout in the week, I couldn't get adequately recovered. And that third workout in the week was not feeling productive to strength or muscle gains.
    And trying to get 10k steps in per day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm struggling. Trying to find the motivation, but it's not coming to me right now.

My motivation is pretty simple. I want to enjoy my retirement age years as much as possible and all the complications that come with being fat diminish my chances of doing so. I do not want to deal with diabetes, with reduced mobility, with reduced physical capacity, etc. I want to still be able to travel without worrying where I'll get my medications refilled, wondering if there are too many stairs, etc.

My maternal grandmother was visiting caves with us in her late 70s and lived completely independently until a few months of hospice before her death at 83. She could go to the zoo with us in her early 80s, she could take care of her own house, she could do pretty much anything she wanted. How many obese people can say the same even in their late 60s?

How long do you reasonably expect to live? How many years do you want to be alive but not living? What do you want to do? Will being obese hinder that?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    <redacted a bunch of irrelevant overshare>

Yeah, you're right. I need to start making myself a priority.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Sounds like you guys are doing good. I have not lost any weight for the past yr. But, my strength has improved. 3 yrs ago I was 268 at 5'7" currently at 233. My pants went from 44" waist to 38-40" waist. Was wearing 2xl shirts that were tight around the gut and now wear xl.
    Have recently changed my weight lifting schedule from a 3 day a week full-body workout to an Upper / lower split. The 3 day a week full-body workout was great but by the third workout in the week, I couldn't get adequately recovered. And that third workout in the week was not feeling productive to strength or muscle gains.
    And trying to get 10k steps in per day.
    My target for resistance training is 4 workouts per week: 2 push (mon, thu - chest press, tricep pushdown, overhead press, squat), 2 pull (tue, fri - bicep drag curl, bent row, deadlift, calf raise). My program calls for me to do 3x of each per week, with only one rest day. But, especially with my 3x per week (sun, tue, thu) alternate-day fasting, I found it to be too much. I do much better with 2x of each, with more rest days. As it is, heavy, single-rep-to-failure fully fasted on Tuesdays and Thursdays is brutal enough.

Two books that have really helped me might be useful for you: "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung, and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    #1, my girls are my motivation.
    No kids here, just an 88-yr-old mom that I take care of. Sad that my main motivation is staying alive long enough to see her through, but I have had the role of caretaker for so long that my wants and needs have gone by the wayside.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    No kids here, just an 88-yr-old mom that I take care of. Sad that my main motivation is staying alive long enough to see her through, but I have had the role of caretaker for so long that my wants and needs have gone by the wayside.
    There is also a constraint of time when you are trying to take care of two people. This can make it difficult to have the desire, the drive, the want. Snap I’m sure by the end of the day you can be exhausted and stressed. I’m a 41 year old fireman who despises cardio but loves to hit the weights. They call me the elderly door kicker. I can’t run around the young guys but I can pick them up. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. We can talk about some goals you have and maybe I can help.

Best of luck!!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There is also a constraint of time when you are trying to take care of two people. This can make it difficult to have the desire, the drive, the want. Snap I’m sure by the end of the day you can be exhausted and stressed. I’m a 41 year old fireman who despises cardio but loves to hit the weights. They call me the elderly door kicker. I can’t run around the young guys but I can pick them up. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. We can talk about some goals you have and maybe I can help.

Best of luck!!
    Thanks Frenchie. Appreciate it..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

After watching this, I wonder if I shouldn't try to incorporate yogurt into some of the almost daily items I consume using heavy cream?

I have never been a fan of yogurt. I wonder how it compares to heavy cream? Pricewise? Refrigerator shelf life?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I eat 1C of sheep's milk yogurt about once every 2-4 weeks. I can only find the stuff at Kroger: just sheep's milk and active culture - nothing else.

Most commercial yogurt is a sugar bomb, unfortunately.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I didn't spend much time in the yogurt section last Kroger visit. Didn't read any labels. At first brief look though, plain yogurt seemed expensive compared to better pricing on cream, sour cream and cottage cheese?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I didn't spend much time in the yogurt section last Kroger visit. Didn't read any labels. At first brief look though, plain yogurt seemed expensive compared to better pricing on cream, sour cream and cottage cheese?
    Yep; the stuff I get is definitely more expensive. It's also, IMHO, the only yogurt worth buying/eating.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    Im 58 with a stent. Up 3 days a week at 0520, run 2 miles and hit the weights. No beer, potatoes and little bread. NO SUGAR. The weight falls off, I feel great and getting stronger every day. clothes fit better too

Top Bottom