• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I just ran across this old 1989 article. They were doing a 10 year count down to environmental destruction of the world starting in 1989. They just started another 10 year count down this year or last can't remember exactly.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ethanol is an energy product and not part of agriculture far as subsidies is concerned.

Timeline of Ethanol Phase-In​

1975: Congress passes the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPAct), establishing Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards for cars and trucks.

1988: The Alternative Motor Fuels Act establishes incentives under CAFE for alternative fuel vehicles.

1992: The Energy Policy Act of 1992 defines alternative fuels and establishes programs at the federal level to increase the use and research of alternative fuels.

2005: Congress passes the Energy Policy Act of 2005, establishing the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS). RFS sets a minimum volume of renewable biofuels to be blended into the transportation fuel supply.

2007: Congress passes the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA), significantly increasing the volume of renewable fuels mandated under the RFS, to 36 billion gallons by 2022.

2013: Citing a lack of renewable fuels infrastructure, EPA proposes reducing the volume of renewable fuels under the RFS.

2015: The Administration sets renewable fuel volumes for 2014 – 2016. Final renewable fuel volumes for 2016 are 18.11 billion gallons, set at approximately 1 billion gallons higher than the 2013 proposal, and at just over 10 percent of the fuel supply. This includes the categories of renewable fuels, cellulosic biofuels, advanced biofuels and biomass-based diesel.
    Ethanol no, the corn they use to produce it though...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I just ran across this old 1989 article. They were doing a 10 year count down to environmental destruction of the world starting in 1989. They just started another 10 year count down this year or last can't remember exactly.
    Haha they can’t remember exactly either

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Ethanol no, the corn they use to produce it though...
    One could argue that the “corn subsidy” (no such thing but this simplifies it) would go up, raised by TPTB, (not saying it’s right) to raise the price of corn similarly to how the use of ethanol has raised the price of corn, about 4% according to this well done article

Keep in mind that more corn was planted because the ethanol carrot was hanging out there, if demand had been lower, not as many acres go to corn and the price would remain similar.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    One could argue that the “corn subsidy” (no such thing but this simplifies it) would go up, raised by TPTB, (not saying it’s right) to raise the price of corn similarly to how the use of ethanol has raised the price of corn, about 4% according to this well done article

Keep in mind that more corn was planted because the ethanol carrot was hanging out there, if demand had been lower, not as many acres go to corn and the price would remain similar.
    This time it was "me make less words". :)

One could also argue that with more acreage going to corn would mean less going to other produce, which in turn could raise the price of those as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Haven't looked into the details of this but I would imagine the global warming people are complaining about the CO2 that results from the fermentation that produces the ethanol in the first place.

Corn is going to continue to be planted, and it's always going to be around in the Midwest. Everybody here should understand the process of nixtamalization so you can get something useful from a bushel of dried field corn.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Haven't looked into the details of this but I would imagine the global warming people are complaining about the CO2 that results from the fermentation that produces the ethanol in the first place.

Corn is going to continue to be planted, and it's always going to be around in the Midwest. Everybody here should understand the process of nixtamalization so you can get something useful from a bushel of dried field corn.
    Thanks for that word. I’ve always wondered in the shtf scenario and all my friends come over and look at tens of thousands of bushels of corn stored saying “what do we do with that” and I’m like “I dunno”.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Over the years I've experimented with a variety of ways to keep myself fed, sometimes simple things like knowing that you can plant supermarket bought beans and get good germination. They are mostly just tests I do to acquire the knowledge as I like easily prepared supermarket food.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    With the crude in the ground still available, I could never understand turning food into fuel.

Part of it goes back to the 70s when all the experts said there would be no oil at all by 2012. Much like the climate change crowd today, they were just guessing.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    With the crude in the ground still available, I could never understand turning food into fuel.

No…..
    Extracting alcohol from grain doesn’t lessen its use fullness as a food source. Would you feel the same about barley? Should we have beer or feed the barley to cattle for steaks? We do both, thank God, same with corn and ethanol

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This time it was "me make less words". :)

One could also argue that with more acreage going to corn would mean less going to other produce, which in turn could raise the price of those as well.
    It‘s not that simple.
    Crop farmers are not vegetable farmers no more than electricians are plumbers.

When raw products are refined, that process generates multiple products, everyone knows crude oil makes gasoline, kerosene, diesel, ect.
    Why is it that people don’t understand ethanol is not the only product of distilling corn?

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Lots of living plants can create Ethanol. The last big promissing development I read about was algae. Nobody really eats algae. It doesn't hurt to develop this technology to power machines.

E85 takes about 33% more fuel to reach stoich in my turbo 4-banger. I installed a big boy fuel pump and big 2100cc injectors. It gets less MPG than gas but the cooling effect of the alcohol allows me to make big power when I turn up the boost.

I've been burning it for 15+ years now in the Talon & have killed, corroded & gummed up everything possible in a fuel system learning how to use it. Build the fuel system correctly & you are good to go. Burn it in grandpa's old tiller and you are eventually going to have trouble.

iirc, there are a few gas stations that sell straight gas. A dock side marina should also have straight gas.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Thanks for that word. I’ve always wondered in the shtf scenario and all my friends come over and look at tens of thousands of bushels of corn stored saying “what do we do with that” and I’m like “I dunno”.

Thanks Leadeye and ditcherman for posting this!!! Making me hungry for tortillas and Corona!!!! BUT not that Chinese Corona......MEXICAN CERVEZA!!!!! :40oz::40oz::buddies::buddies:

Top Bottom