Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Have been hearing the enviro lobby regrets their part in this boondoggle but now the farm lobby has their teeth into this thing and we are stuck with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure would be nice to be able to purchase 100% gasoline for all of our vehicles, road or off road!

Ban ethanol! :D :D :D :D :D
    I had to replace one and rebuild another carb on my lawn equipment from the crap ass fuel they are shoving up our tail pipes.
    The chain saw (new carb and tune up last summer) will not run either. Hit it with starter fluid and it pops right off until it burns all the fluid. Prime indicator the carb is in need of attention. It's a lot of happy horse :poop: in my book.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just one more arrow in the quiver if the left to stop all Internal Combustion Engines and make it all electric.....so they can control it all.
    Yep. This is the agenda. And they're getting away with it, in part because the Jeep Hammer Popular Mechanics Mountain Men think they're going to power their trucks for free with solar panels.

By the time they figure out they've been had, it will be too late to resist, because there won't be anything else left to resist with. But obviously the rest of us are too stupid to see that...

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anyone who didn't know this only needed to look at the energy density of alcohol vs gasoline to understand why it was a stupid idea.

If we wanted to do things better, we'd be running on natural gas and hydrogen. Better energy density, less fuel needed to get the same work done. Pollution almost ends up being irrelevant after you consider the difference in quantity used. It also burns ridiculously clean and will make an engine last far longer than gasoline.

E85 has 40% lower energy density to gasoline, meaning you'll burn almost 2 gallons of E85 for every gallon of gasoline you would have used. Straight alcohol has 53% less energy density than gasoline.

In fact the modern E10 fuels we run have 7% less energy density than straight gasoline. They also foul up almost everything in an engine, as most engines and fuel systems were never designed for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that causes considerable emissions as a result.

To my knowledge, running a car on natural gas or propane is relatively trivial to do as well, regardless of its age.

Last edited:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Pretty pathetic shape we find ourselves in when thousands of years mankind was able to invent, innovate and prosper from stone tools to space ships but now we need a legislature to do it for us.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yep. This is the agenda. And they're getting away with it, in part because the Jeep Hammer Popular Mechanics Mountain Men think they're going to power their trucks for free with solar panels.

By the time they figure out they've been had, it will be too late to resist, because there won't be anything else left to resist with. But obviously the rest of us are too stupid to see that...

I'd say that depends on how you define an electric car. One of the technological wonders of the world that thinks for you, or bolting a big ass battery to your car and a monster electric motor, and doing the wiring yourself.

The latter absolutely would be harder to control than a gasoline vehicle.

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    Ethanol in gas is truly a scam. It is not something that "comes from the left", etc.. It was put in place to support the price of corn, plain and simple. Big Corn lobbied hard for the now ingrained federal ethanol programs. Yes, we would all be better off for gas cost, gas mileage and longevity of our vehicles if we could run pure gas all the time. I run pure gas whenever I can.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had to replace one and rebuild another carb on my lawn equipment from the crap ass fuel they are shoving up our tail pipes.
    The chain saw (new carb and tune up last summer) will not run either. Hit it with starter fluid and it pops right off until it burns all the fluid. Prime indicator the carb is in need of attention. It's a lot of happy horse :poop: in my book.
    I know it is a pain, but I have had 4 decades of success running Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. It only takes a couple ounces for 5 gallons.

I know most are already groaning "snake oil" , but hear me out.

It does not make more power, better mileage, or any of the fantasy stuff some people talk about. It does keep everything coated with a layer of protecting oil. Tanks coated with oil do not rust. Carbs coated with oil do not corrode. 4 cylinder carbureted motorcycles are famous for clogging carbs when in storage with ethanol fuel. I rode one of my Kawasaki Concours bikes over 100,000 miles and never had carb problems. It still even had the anti tamper caps on the adjustments. Never ate the valve guides either. My mower and weed eater start with little effort every spring too.

The old gas would gum up a carb, but that could be cleaned. The new gas corrodes the castings, that has to be replaced

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it is a pain, but I have had 4 decades of success running Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. It only takes a couple ounces for 5 gallons.

I know most are already groaning "snake oil" , but hear me out.

It does not make more power, better mileage, or any of the fantasy stuff some people talk about. It does keep everything coated with a layer of protecting oil. Tanks coated with oil do not rust. Carbs coated with oil do not corrode. 4 cylinder carbureted motorcycles are famous for clogging carbs when in storage with ethanol fuel. I rode one of my Kawasaki Concours bikes over 100,000 miles and never had carb problems. It still even had the anti tamper caps on the adjustments. Never ate the valve guides either. My mower and weed eater start with little effort every spring too.

The old gas would gum up a carb, but that could be cleaned. The new gas corrodes the castings, that has to be replaced
    OK I have heard of this. I use Marvel and it does what I expected from using it.
    5 ounces per 5 gallons.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone who didn't know this only needed to look at the energy density of alcohol vs gasoline to understand why it was a stupid idea.

If we wanted to do things better, we'd be running on natural gas and hydrogen. Better energy density, less fuel needed to get the same work done. Pollution almost ends up being irrelevant after you consider the difference in quantity used. It also burns ridiculously clean and will make an engine last far longer than gasoline.

E85 has 40% lower energy density to gasoline, meaning you'll burn almost 2 gallons of E85 for every gallon of gasoline you would have used. Straight alcohol has 53% less energy density than gasoline.

In fact the modern E10 fuels we run have 7% less energy density than straight gasoline. They also foul up almost everything in an engine, as most engines and fuel systems were never designed for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that causes considerable emissions as a result.

To my knowledge, running a car on natural gas or propane is relatively trivial to do as well, regardless of its age.
    NIPSCO ran company cars on Natural Gas at least for a while. The neighbor man was so impressed he converted his big V8 Pontiac to Natural gas. He had to start the car on gasoline and switch to natural gas. The big pressure vessel for the compressed gas did use up his trunk. I do not think it worked out in the long run. I am sure the equipment is better by now. I believe cheating on road use tax is the biggest benefit.

Top Bottom