Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hang on a minute, wut?
    Irresponsible rape?
    Why would we deplete the soil to grow plants to burn in cars? So we can eventually not grow anything? No one wants to do that, except the guys that pay high cash rent to just say they are big farmers, and even most of them still take care of the ground.

My point is, we were growing corn long before ethanol, and if the subsidies for ethanol go away we will still grow corn.

There is certainly an argument against the monoculture corn/bean rotation, but it isn’t connected to ethanol.

There is also certainly an argument against using farmland to make gas vs feed people, but I assure you if people are hungry it will be used for food before ethanol.

It’s not vital, people aren’t nearly hungry enough yet for it to be vital.

Where do you get at this idea that ethanol causes rape of farm ground?
    Topsoil is finite. It gets depleted.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just a question, do you think that ground will grow anything without all the fertilizers and pesticides?
    Yes, of course it will grow something.

Let’s start here and keep this in mind; The definition of a weed is just “something other than what you want there”.
    So you can adapt and eat (harvest) what grows there, or you can modify what grows there. The difference between hunter gatherer and farmer, I suppose.

Anyway, we explored organic for a couple of years, no commercial fertilizer, no pesticides, bought a cultivator and rotary hoe, went all in on a 67 acre field. Corn yielded half. We quit that.
    But you can skip some treatments and still grow things, and usually without cutting yield too much, the first year. Weeds are gonna get you the second though. And fertility 3-5 years later.

I’ve digressed in my answer and am curious as to why your asking…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, of course it will grow something.

Let’s start here and keep this in mind; The definition of a weed is just “something other than what you want there”.
    So you can adapt and eat (harvest) what grows there, or you can modify what grows there. The difference between hunter gatherer and farmer, I suppose.

Anyway, we explored organic for a couple of years, no commercial fertilizer, no pesticides, bought a cultivator and rotary hoe, went all in on a 67 acre field. Corn yielded half. We quit that.
    But you can skip some treatments and still grow things, and usually without cutting yield too much, the first year. Weeds are gonna get you the second though. And fertility 3-5 years later.

I’ve digressed in my answer and am curious as to why your asking…
    Just interested in what you would say.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Topsoil is finite. It gets depleted.
    We’re growing corn no matter what.
    Started in 1800’s, will continue…

That’s the quick answer.

The long answer, is, no it doesn’t. Not with proper management.
    What makes you think that a guy growing corn for ethanol depletes his ground any more than a guy like me that grows 90% food grade non-gmo corn?

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Not for a while, probably 5 years of hard work to get it to grow actual food, like potatoes, carrots, etc.
    Ok not understanding this at all. I can throw seed down anywhere, actual food like you said, not just corn/soybeans and it will grow stuff.

What is the hard work to be done over 5 years to get something to grow?
    I understand trying to make a garden spot but even a beat down field will grow. You not have to wait 5 years before you can grow something.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ok not understanding this at all. I can throw seed down anywhere, actual food like you said, not just corn/soybeans and it will grow stuff.

What is the hard work to be done over 5 years to get something to grow?
    I understand trying to make a garden spot but even a beat down field will grow. You not have to wait 5 years before you can grow something.
    I have read and followed those that take commercial farm ground and try to get it to grow food. It takes time to get the soil clear to grow food. You may be able to grow something not sure what…

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    We’re growing corn no matter what.
    Started in 1800’s, will continue…

That’s the quick answer.

The long answer, is, no it doesn’t. Not with proper management.
    What makes you think that a guy growing corn for ethanol depletes his ground any more than a guy like me that grows 90% food grade non-gmo corn?
    You think we can sustainability grow enough corn to replace millions of barrels a day of oil use without depleting any soil? Really?

Maybe if we terraformed Mars and planted every square yard of it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I have read and followed those that take commercial farm ground and try to get it to grow food. It takes time to get the soil clear to grow food. You may be able to grow something not sure what…
    There are rules to becoming certified organic, one of which is that you have to raise three crops (ok technically 36 months which lets you skirt around the rules and sell your third crop don’t get me started on how organic can be a scam!) before you can sell as certified organic with a premium price.

So if you’ve read something along those lines, it doesn’t have anything to do with growing something, it may have to do with the activist mindset of all food is poison trying to convince you that it won’t grow anything. Not sure.
    “Soil clear” is an interesting term, and I’m not saying agriculture and big chem haven’t done harm, but the idea that it won’t grow anything is equally preposterous.

As far as hard work to get the “soil clear”, you can just let it lay fallow and do nothing (except absorb ethanol emissions of course) to let it “go back to nature”. So the only hard work is paying for the ground without an income from it, and maybe mowing it.
    Of course, you can plant beneficials in the mean time, or you could compromise and just go ahead and grow stuff on it.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    You think we can sustainability grow enough corn to replace millions of barrels a day of oil use without depleting any soil? Really?

Maybe if we terraformed Mars and planted every square yard of it.
    No one said anything about replacing oil. No one thinks that. Never even entered my mind. Not part of the argument here, or in any reasonable circle.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that your talking to someone who is pro-ethanol.

My comments and questions revolve around finding the truth about growing corn on acres that are already growing corn.

You said growing corn depletes the soil, and that was the conversation I was having.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Meh, I make more power out of my 2.0L turbo 4-banger on E85 than on leaded C116 race gas. 700+ HP.

I'll keep Ethanol thank you.

Top Bottom