Text Released for HR 127 To provide for the licensing of firearm and ammunition possession and the registration of firearms, and to prohibit the posse

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    My response from Pence.......
    Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 127, the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Our founding fathers could not have been clearer: the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As a firearm owner and lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, I am passionate about safeguarding the fundamental right of all Hoosiers to protect themselves and the people they love. The United States Constitution sets forth that gun ownership is not a special privilege reserved for a select few, but it is a protected freedom for all law-abiding citizens.

As you may know, the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act would impose new regulations on the ownership of firearms and ammunition. Specifically, this bill would require gun owners to register their firearms in a national database, create a national firearms license, mandate caliber size, and outlaw large capacity magazines. The Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come to the House floor for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

You can rest assured that I will never support legislation that infringes upon your right to keep and bear arms. In fact, last Congress I voted against two extreme bills, H.R. 8 and H.R. 1112, that would diminish our Second Amendment rights while doing nothing to keep our country safe. For example, H.R. 8—legislation to require a background check for every firearm sale—might sound like common sense, but current law already requires a background check on every commercial gun purchase in America.

As your representative in Congress, I will always vote to protect our Second Amendment Rights. It is an honor to represent Hoosiers of Indiana’s 6th District. You can visit my website at www.pence.house.gov to learn more about how I am representing you in Congress.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Horrible. And the fact it was proposed 2 weeks ago and doesn't have any other sponsors suggests there isn't much support for it (yet) in the House.

This is setting the outside margin of legislation. That won't get passed. The only issue is whether something "inside" of that margin gets traction.

Indeed, contact representatives and senators - even the Dem ones, if you happen to live in one of the few areas with a Dem representative.
    It's a "solution" waiting for an opportunity/crisis

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My response from Pence.......
    Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 127, the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Our founding fathers could not have been clearer: the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As a firearm owner and lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, I am passionate about safeguarding the fundamental right of all Hoosiers to protect themselves and the people they love. The United States Constitution sets forth that gun ownership is not a special privilege reserved for a select few, but it is a protected freedom for all law-abiding citizens.

As you may know, the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act would impose new regulations on the ownership of firearms and ammunition. Specifically, this bill would require gun owners to register their firearms in a national database, create a national firearms license, mandate caliber size, and outlaw large capacity magazines. The Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come to the House floor for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

You can rest assured that I will never support legislation that infringes upon your right to keep and bear arms. In fact, last Congress I voted against two extreme bills, H.R. 8 and H.R. 1112, that would diminish our Second Amendment rights while doing nothing to keep our country safe. For example, H.R. 8—legislation to require a background check for every firearm sale—might sound like common sense, but current law already requires a background check on every commercial gun purchase in America.

As your representative in Congress, I will always vote to protect our Second Amendment Rights. It is an honor to represent Hoosiers of Indiana’s 6th District. You can visit my website at www.pence.house.gov to learn more about how I am representing you in Congress.
    That's the same one I got. I feel confident he'd vote against it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The points (plural) are many...
    Top of the list is mass shootings.

Unless *YOU* have a definitive way to keep firearms out of mass shooter's hands, the rest of the population IS eventually going to ATTEMPT to do something about it.

Those attempts may be (and probably will be) misguided.

The absolute and utter refusal of so called "Law & Order" types to not only follow the law,
    BUT THE INTENT OF THE LAW,
    is what will eventually bring more controls & restrictions down...
    How do we remove the firearms from the hands of the very few, (but loudly and often repeated, so they seem more numerous,) mass shooters?

ARMED RESISTANCE.

The theater shooter in Colorado specifically chose the theater he did (others were closer to him) because it had a gunbuster sign on the door, and in CO, that makes carry there an illegal act. It didn't seem to stop him from carrying, of course. If he knew there would be resistance, as in so many other cases, it would have stopped him, thus, the solution is to have someone, a "good guy" there to drop him as soon as he reveals himself for what he is. No, I do not limit this to exclusively a police officer, though I welcome them to be amongst the good guys, on or off duty. Likewise, the military members and former members. Nobody shoots up a police station or an NRA convention, y'know? Similarly, on the other side of the coin, Ms. Assam, present at the Colorado church, returned fire upon a murderous criminal before he took a single life inside the building. As per the usual arrangement, he chose that time to eat his shotgun, or at least a round from it.

When there is armed resistance to the criminals, the criminals are notably absent.

As for "follow the law and the intent of the law"..... What is your solution when 127 becomes law? Follow it? That is, what do you do when the law is wrong? Maybe some people are willing to just bend over and spread their cheeks for this, but on INGO, I doubt we'll find too many upturned anuses prepared and pre-lubed for what they have coming to them.

You seem alternately like you're trying to see things from the side of most of our membership, and like you're looking down your nose at them. Perhaps this might be a place to start some introspection?

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom