• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This will probably bring up a discussion about firearms on campus.
    Was discussed upstream in several postings. From what I recall one must be 21 to carry and on campus it must be concealed. Scroll back up to #71 and you should find the latest one.

John

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Was discussed upstream in several postings. From what I recall one must be 21 to carry and on campus it must be concealed. Scroll back up to #71 and you should find the latest one.

John

Yeah, from my understanding he was prohibited due to be 19, from having a firearm on campus. I think, even still, this will certainly be a point of contention for anti-gunners. And I fully expect that the Texas Tech PD will probably be one of the first groups onboard.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah, from my understanding he was prohibited due to be 19, from having a firearm on campus. I think, even still, this will certainly be a point of contention for anti-gunners. And I fully expect that the Texas Tech PD will probably be one of the first groups onboard.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-killing-pd-officer-campus-6.html#post7264685

Also: yes the anti-gunners will bray and moan about campus carry, but this will not move the needle on it in Texas.

I am willing to bet a small sum that when the kid gets some lawyers, they are going to go with some kind of diminished capacity/insanity defense, with psychological exams to consider fitness for trial and all that. His mom is reported to have promoted an anti-2A petition after the Las Vegas shooting, I'll bet this comes together as some kind "it's the NRA's fault" campaign to influence the potential pool, if it gets to trial. I doubt that flies well, tho.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There's some kind of bad joo-joo has passed over our fair city lately. This is not a big place, so it's remarkable that in a very short period of time we had two multi-vehicle wrecks, both on bridges, both on the same day, and both with multiple fatalities, a murder-suicide in a burned out mobile home, the Asst Chief of Police was at the Las Vegas concert and was wounded (not seriously) in the hand, and one of the local university just-graduated star baseball players was killed in a single car crash while returning from helping with the after-math of Hurricane Harvey.

And now what should have been one of the local bright stars killed a cop and is in jail on capital murder charge.

I guess this would be Tuesday morning in some cities, but for here it's "yikes."

Can hardly wait to see what happens next.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

And also due to federal statute rendering him a prohibited person due to the drug use.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Anyone notice how much media attention this hasn't been getting? Police officer killed, by young male druggie... coverage is... not a whole bunch.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Anyone notice how much media attention this hasn't been getting? Police officer killed, by young male druggie... coverage is... not a whole bunch.

How much coverage nationally do officers getting killed normally get in your mind? Feel free to scroll through ODMP and see how many never, or marginally, got a mention on the national stage.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

I googled Texas Tech shooter and got 13 pages of response. Every major news outlet had a story about it. I'm not sure a police officer getting shot gets a lot of continuous, national coverage. Unfortunately, there always seems to be another violent act taking place every day that pushes most stories out after the initial report.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-killing-pd-officer-campus-6.html#post7264685

Also: yes the anti-gunners will bray and moan about campus carry, but this will not move the needle on it in Texas.

I am willing to bet a small sum that when the kid gets some lawyers, they are going to go with some kind of diminished capacity/insanity defense, with psychological exams to consider fitness for trial and all that. His mom is reported to have promoted an anti-2A petition after the Las Vegas shooting, I'll bet this comes together as some kind "it's the NRA's fault" campaign to influence the potential pool, if it gets to trial. I doubt that flies well, tho.

I would agree about it not moving the needle much in Texas. The important part is your observation at the end that all the lachrymose heart-string pulling accompanied by a moving rendition of Hearts and Flowers won't get much traction:

[video=youtube;xnXOr8GvKcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXOr8GvKcQ[/video]

Show of hands: How many feel compelled now to give this thug minimum time, if any, for the negligent discharge that occurred when he was trying to surrender the handgun he was carrying that hadn't previously been secured.
    [crickets chirping]
    [more crickets chirping]
    [cacophony of crickets chirping]

As I thought. Won't work. Back to Death Row you go.

John

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yes. I noticed. Things that get reported are things which people can benefit from the right spin. It's actually harder IRL than on INGO to make it an issue of race.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Update:

The local and regional news in Texas is covering it. Thug charged with capital murder (no surprise) with bond set at $5M. Thug was searched but apparently not handcuffed. The handgun obviously wasn't discovered during the search. Thug is being processed at the police station. When officer turns his back, Thug pulls the gun out, killing the officer, then grabs the officer's body cam and takes off running. Several things jump out: not being restrained, only one officer present who turns his back on Thug, and Thug being able to easily escape the station. As this was at Texas Tech, I can only presume the station there would be a small sub-station and easier for a suspect to find an exit to exploit compared to a normal PD precinct station.

Thug's parents live in Seguin, population 27k-28k, and he apparently has a sister (don't know if older or younger). Father owns a theater in town and was on the city council for a term ten years ago. His mother is travel writer and photographer and has taught at a local college. It appears they're well-known from the theater ownership and the father's city council term but it doesn't appear they're "wealthy". I don't think he's going to make bail.

Thug's friends are reported to be vociferously defending him in language that's obviously very immature (I saw a couple Twitter screenshots). Indicative they're having trouble wrapping their heads around what he did and still in denial. An affidavit states he told officers he "shot their friend" and "f----d up" and did "something illogical" after he was taken into custody. Had a few young soldiers his age that did some incredibly dumb@$$ things acting on pure emotional impulse. Although they were significantly more serious than a royal @$$chewing it was fortunate none of them rose to anything close to this. They had to be held accountable, but enforcing it was among the more unpleasant tasks knowing someone that young had made their life exceptionally difficult for a decade or more working to climb out of the deep hole they had dug during a few seconds of brainless stupidity.

The lesson in this - that I coached my junior NCOs and officers with - was their obligation to coach young soldiers to use their brains to think about how they respond to stimuli around them, that they have choices with alternatives that all have consequences, and to think about the probable consequences before making choice and acting. It was a process of maturing them from impulsiveness. It needed to occur with the small corrections and coaching for minor acts before they did something rash that brought house down on themselves. He had been arrested a year ago on drug charges in his first semester at Texas Tech. A month or two ago he was picked up in Siguin (home town) on unresolved speeding citation. Whatever pain and empathy I feel for Thug's parents is tempered by wondering how much they coached their son about his choices, the resulting behavior, and the consequences. He was headed for the abyss at least a year ago.

Thug has sent himself directly to Death Row with an impulsive act spanning 5 seconds he will regret until they push a needle into his arm and punch the lethal drugs buttons.

John

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    By facts related so far, he was a 'good kid' until he went off to college and discovered drugs (or more serious drugs). I'm going to speculate that he thoroughly drowned in chemicals what little good sense he possessed as a 18-19 year old, and as JAL said put himself on a path to a bad end.

There are several reports that the family called Texas Tech PD because they thought he was expressing suicidal thoughts and possibly had a weapon. There is also a report, a briefing by the TTPD chief, that I don't have at my fingertips, that he was also stopped by TTPD a few HOURS before the killing because... his car matched the description of a vehicle connected to a stolen...handgun. And because he would not consent to a search of his vehicle...the TTPD let him go. They called for a drug dog but one wasn't available.

I have to believe that with a handgun-related stop and word from the family that he might be armed that the police just did an ineffective job of searching him at arrest (versus not searching him). If I were the officer who searched him but wasn't the one who was killed, I think I would want to crawl in a hole in pull it in after me. The chief said it was not uncommon for suspects to be uncuffed for part of the booking process, but would not answer questions about whether or how he was searched.

The TTPD Chief is former FBI, and just started at TTPD in September.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Additional factoid:
    The casing recovered from Thug's stolen pistol was .45 ACP which gives me pause to wonder about its size. I'm accustomed to 1911 pattern even with officer and compact size which would be a challenge to conceal and prevent discovery from a search. That said, I know there are other pistol designs that chamber .45 ACP. Nevertheless I was surprised a little by the caliber, but not surprised at all it was lethal at point blank or nearly point blank range with a head shot. I would have expected a 9mm Parabellum max, possibly a .380 ACP, or a 5 round .38 or .357 light frame 2-3" snubbie.

John

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It happens, an unfortunate reality in law enforcement. I've never particularly enjoyed having to get a handful of another man's crotch to ensure he isn't carrying a weapon there, I've most certainly failed to do an adequate job a time or two. I won't embed this video but it shows how easily it can happen. NSFW and not for the easily upset.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=809_1353029315

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It happens, an unfortunate reality in law enforcement. I've never particularly enjoyed having to get a handful of another man's crotch to ensure he isn't carrying a weapon there, I've most certainly failed to do an adequate job a time or two. I won't embed this video but it shows how easily it can happen. NSFW and not for the easily upset.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=809_1353029315

I remember when that happened. IIRC, the guy had already shot a cop, was searched twice by different deputies on the way to the station, and still had a full size pistol in his pants.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I remember when that happened. IIRC, the guy had already shot a cop, was searched twice by different deputies on the way to the station, and still had a full size pistol in his pants.
    As soon as I hit the link and saw the thumbnail I recognized it. IIRC this was in California and shooting the sheriff's deputy (who survived) would have been a "3rd Strike" felony putting him into prison for life without parole.

John

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Yet another factoid:
    Thug is a Bernie Bro. The "Likes" section of his Fecesbook Page shows he liked "U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders" official Fecesbook page. Screenshot from Thug's Fecesbook "Like" section:

n0g9jiel3yqz.jpg

If you didn't notice it, he also liked "Moronic Behavior's" Fecesbook page. See left column.

John

Top Bottom