Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is rich. You know when this cancel student debt idea bubbled up, it was thought that all their debt would be cancelled. Typical government—over promise and under deliver.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    How mean of you to raise your daughter to have a strong work ethic and exercise responsibility for her self.

It's unfortunate more parents are not so mean.
    Some of her friends that paid nothing because of caring parents dropped out or spent to much time partying and got a degree in crap. Because it did not mean anything to them if they failed was no consequences of not paying back any loans. I do understand things can happen illness and pregnancy can screw up kids plans to get a degree and find a good job.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Some of her friends that paid nothing because of caring parents dropped out or spent to much time partying and got a degree in crap. Because it did not mean anything to them if they failed was no consequences of not paying back any loans. I do understand things can happen illness and pregnancy can screw up kids plans to get a degree and find a good job.

Yep.

Raised our daughter the same way.

Guess I am mean too.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My kids won't have student loan debt. I'm certainly not insisting they even go to college the ways schools are going these days, but if they do go, it will be debt free.

I worked my butt off to rid my life of debt and because of how I'm handling money and teaching them, my hope is that they'll never touch debt in their lives.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Don’t suppose I can expect a check for $10,000 since I was stupid enough to get a second job to pay off the loans I took out for my son’s college.

**** everyone who supports it, suggests it, asks for it or accepts it.
    Yep. I was even stupid enough to keep paying mine through the pandemic.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My sons last day of high school was Thursday. He starts college in July for engineering technology. Let’s just say we aren’t exactly eligible for any scholarships, pell grants or subsidized loans. My wife and I both went to college and have good jobs. Our son was a good student earning both a technical and honors diploma but is still like 80th in his class. His SATs scores were good but not exceptional. So now we are a middle class family living in small-medium sized community with your average 18 year old white male entering a career tract dominated by other average white males. In a nutshell college is on us or rather on him. He will end up borrowing money. I don’t want to see loan forgiveness but $10k would help him quite a bit.

If they want to help students, not artificially inflate the cost of college why not think this through. Instead of loan forgiveness why not make affordable low interest loans available to everyone. Maybe subsidize those loans so they don’t incur interest until after graduation. Maybe protect students from the predatory practices being conducted by lenders. My mailbox is full of private, unsecured loan applications.

I told my son that Mom and I would pay for 8 semesters tuition at Purdue. He is on his own for room and board, or study abroad or any other costs. If he decides to kick ass and finish early that saves him money. If he wants to take a semester off for an internship that is fine. Move into an apartment with friends or stay in the dorms is his decision. We felt it best he be vested in his decision making. But since he has the disadvantage of having parents who are married and both working he is not eligible for some of the assistance we received.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Anyone wanna convince me they aren’t trying to intentionally destroy America?
    Honestly, with the Biden regime, I have to chalk it up to pure incompetence. They have ****ed up every single thing they've done so far.

That said, if they WERE trying to destroy America, I don't think they would be doing much differently.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Food shortage. Baby formula shortage. Nurse shortage. Trucker shortage. Border crisis. And this is the focus?

Anyone wanna convince me they aren’t trying to intentionally destroy America?
    Promising checks swung the 2020 election. Now they're going to offer student loan gibs to swing 2022.

This is Democratic playbook up and down the party, from street level to national. Just buy votes!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And even if they arent trying to destroy America per se... It could be a quick short sighted money grab for them to get them and theirs enough to line their nests for the rest of their lives, damn everyone else. "if it falls it falls. By that time I'll be dead and everyone else can worry about it. "

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Tell the students, that $10,000 is gonna cost them $60,000 because that's the way the government works.
    So, if they can't pay of $10k, they're going to love paying off 60k, for the rest of their lives because of the OTHER student loans they will be paying off.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does anyone think this will actually happen? They trot this out every so often, and have been doing so for a long time, and have yet to do anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Promising checks swung the 2020 election. Now they're going to offer student loan gibs to swing 2022.

This is Democratic playbook up and down the party, from street level to national. Just buy votes!
    With our money and we set back and let it happen.

Top Bottom