Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    $10k is a drop in the bucket for anyone with student loan debt.

But it's an astronomical amount of money, thus will greatly increase inflation.

This screws over everyone, pretty much like every policy the potato has pushed. If it actually canceled their debt and allowed them to buy a house, and move the economy along, it'd have a chance of being a net improvement for inflation. This is a double whammy of making the situation worse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    $10k is a drop in the bucket for anyone with student loan debt.

But it's an astronomical amount of money, thus will greatly increase inflation.

This screws over everyone, pretty much like every policy the potato has pushed. If it actually canceled their debt and allowed them to buy a house, and move the economy along, it'd have a chance of being a net improvement for inflation. This is a double whammy of making the situation worse.
    Just like everything they have done so far. Everything. No wins just pandering and misdirected :bs:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Teaching people to sign contracts and expect a govt bailout is bad policy. Yet it's been done again and again.

And as a taxpayer who has 2 kids, who worked their way through school (one was able to secure scholarships and enough AP credits going in, and chose a school where he could achieve Bachelors and Masters in 4 years and come out with no debt, and the other child working as an RA to lower her costs and securing a position to offset her graduate school costs to avoid student loans), I and they get to not only cover any of their tuition or fees that were above and beyond, but also the costs of someone else who didn't plan and make the necessary choices that worked to achieve similar results.

This redistribution of $$ in these ways has to stop. It's getting beyond ridiculous, rewarding poor decisions and handing out $$. I believe in some safety nets when there is true impact and someone needs a hand to become a productive member of society, but this constant redistribution of wealth is well beyond that. Otherwise let local and charities setup scholarships as they see fit and let folks apply for them on the front end. Poor planning and hoping for the best is not a reasonable strategy.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If they want to help students, not artificially inflate the cost of college why not think this through.
    It is not helping students. You have bought into the propaganda. First the money is forcibly taken in one way or another from earners and savers to give to others. Second this violates the laws of supply and demand, any increase in students ability to pay will be met by increased prices…

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is not helping students. You have bought into the propaganda. First the money is forcibly taken in one way or another from earners and savers to give to others. Second this violates the laws of supply and demand, any increase in students ability to pay will be met by increased prices…

Dude. Did you even read my post?

The issue right now isn’t the ability to get loans. The issue is that loans are to easy to secure with few rules and little guidance. People get into trouble quickly without even realizing it. Like you mentioned easy access to unsecured loans are driving up costs and leading to repayment problems later on. Unfortunately loan forgiveness will also drive up costs. If we want to fix the the problem we have to address the rules and amounts for how the loans are distributed.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Asked my oldest who just started on her masters what she thinks about this proposal.

While she would love to not spend the money, she will not be accepting the handout.

I am proud of her.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Asked my oldest who just started on her masters what she thinks about this proposal.

While she would love to not spend the money, she will not be accepting the handout.

I am proud of her.
    If it is like other gov programs she may not have a choice. Money will just show up in her account or mailbox.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If it is like other gov programs she may not have a choice. Money will just show up in her account or mailbox.
    I hear you on that. Both kids were all happy with the free money they got from the covid crap.

Now they understand how much it screwed them over. They will spend more just in fuel this year than they got with the handouts.

Learning is hard sometimes.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ah 10k in forgiveness probably benefits the people who were financially responsible the most anyway. Those people that took 100-200k without having a real plan or job plan that can pay it off should be on their own.

Should also make the inflation problem grow as a bunch of people get an extra couple hundred dollars they can spend every month

The people who worked, paid cash, got scholarships went to the military ect still ended up with 10-30k to get a bachelors degree. Hard to make it all on your own when cash price for a full year comes to 15-20k for a state school.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Promising checks swung the 2020 election. Now they're going to offer student loan gibs to swing 2022.

This is Democratic playbook up and down the party, from street level to national. Just buy votes!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I hereby propose a “fuel forgiveness” bill, that gives everyone who actually works a certain amount back at the end of the year for the incompetence of this administration making it costly to even drive to work.

I’m sick of paying for people who sit on the couch all day.
    We are getting $1000.00 per couple for exactly this here in New Mexico, altho they don’t phrase it quite exactly like that. The incompetence part. Just another MLG vote buying scheme, buying your vote with your own money and the idiots here will re-elect her no doubt.

$500 in June and another $500 in August no strings attached, don’t even need to own a car. $500 in July, with income caps that we exceed. $20 million slush fund that people can apply to if they don’t file taxes even, FCFS.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you think about this, it should also anger the leftists.

People approved for college who managed to secure loans, are likely in a higher class than the majority of people paying taxes. This means you're stealing from the poor to pay for a rich kid's college.

We live in clown world.
    Doesn't have anything to do with ideal/ideas.
    Now, it's my team/your team.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Teaching people to sign contracts and expect a govt bailout is bad policy. Yet it's been done again and again.

And as a taxpayer who has 2 kids, who worked their way through school (one was able to secure scholarships and enough AP credits going in, and chose a school where he could achieve Bachelors and Masters in 4 years and come out with no debt, and the other child working as an RA to lower her costs and securing a position to offset her graduate school costs to avoid student loans), I and they get to not only cover any of their tuition or fees that were above and beyond, but also the costs of someone else who didn't plan and make the necessary choices that worked to achieve similar results.

This redistribution of $$ in these ways has to stop. It's getting beyond ridiculous, rewarding poor decisions and handing out $$. I believe in some safety nets when there is true impact and someone needs a hand to become a productive member of society, but this constant redistribution of wealth is well beyond that. Otherwise let local and charities setup scholarships as they see fit and let folks apply for them on the front end. Poor planning and hoping for the best is not a reasonable strategy.
    This is building a voter base pure and simple. Using our money to lock in more mindless lefty useful idiots.

Top Bottom