Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The other thing that is soooo aggravating about all of this is that they are doing absolutely nothing to control the costs of going to college. Thus, it also amounts to payments to another of the Dem constituencies;' all of the college administrators that do nothing but push lib propaganda.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since I paid my school debt off in 2002 like a fool, I demand a 10K tax credit OR two (2) hours in a federal warehouse that I select with a giant shopping cart.

Kirk's Dad: "Kirk, pay off your debt and live 2 clicks down that way your SEP will be full and your troubles empty."

Kirk: "I'm just going to demand that the federal government give me things."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is probably true, but why is this? Lack of will to work is my guess. Jobs are out there, and good paying ones too. Even if they aren't in your major area of study. This was the case for me. I ditched my major area of study (after graduating) and have a great paying job as an electrician. And guess what...loans are paid off.
    So you basically wasted your time and money at college?

Trades are beneath a lot of those people. Obviously someone with a degree in women's studies should be making $100K. :n00b:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan

Trades are beneath a lot of those people. Obviously someone with a degree in women's studies should be making $100K. :n00b:
    Probably wouldn't do it exactly the same if I could do over, but wouldn't call it a waste either. Go figure. Also, the where's, when's, and how's kept my debt load low compared to some of the numbers we hear about now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

In some cases it depends. My nephew works in something completely unrelated to his degree, but the company he works for requires a degree to work in management. It doesn't matter what the degree is in, they just have to have a degree.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The other thing that is soooo aggravating about all of this is that they are doing absolutely nothing to control the costs of going to college. Thus, it also amounts to payments to another of the Dem constituencies;' all of the college administrators that do nothing but push lib propaganda.
    Supply and demand. When applications drop off enough, the price will come down. You don’t need a degree to be successful.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since I paid my school debt off in 2002 like a fool, I demand a 10K tax credit OR two (2) hours in a federal warehouse that I select with a giant shopping cart.

Kirk's Dad: "Kirk, pay off your debt and live 2 clicks down that way your SEP will be full and your troubles empty."

Kirk: "I'm just going to demand that the federal government give me things."
    I forget when I paid mine off, it's been a while....but I want the same deal.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Everyone keeps referring to giving money to the wealthy and leaving the poor with the bill. I pay multiples of $10K in federal tax each year and have always kept my lips off the govt milk bags. Half of the country pays zero federal taxes and many of those actually receive payments.

How is it that me getting a one time reprieve from $10K of my annual contribution to the cause is unfair to anyone? When I become a net taker, which will never happen, then I’ll entertain the concept. Until then, I will never pass on an opportunity to keep my own hard earned money.
    I suspect you would feel different if you had no eligibility

And you're not the only one who pays a high effective rate, there Kemosabe

The point is moral hazard

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    I suspect you would feel different if you had no eligibility

And you're not the only one who pays a high effective rate, there Kemosabe

The point is moral hazard
    Actually I have no eligibility. I refinanced all my parent plus loans privately and will pay them off in full well into my retirement. . They are not subject to federal discharge.

My point is the same. The poor don’t pay tax now and won’t be burdened with any responsibility for government spending in the future.

Not sure what you mean about the high effective rate, but not really relevant. People should always be responsible for their own obligations and debts. But I will never feel an ounce of guilt when the opportunity presents itself for me to legally keep my own wealth from government confiscation or when those same idiots choose to include me in their “handouts”.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In some cases it depends. My nephew works in something completely unrelated to his degree, but the company he works for requires a degree to work in management. It doesn't matter what the degree is in, they just have to have a degree.
    Neither of my kids are working in the same field of study that they chose in college.

I told them to learn how to learn. Then use that with whatever they wanted to do. Both are doing pretty decent.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Actually I have no eligibility. I refinanced all my parent plus loans privately and will pay them off in full well into my retirement. . They are not subject to federal discharge.

My point is the same. The poor don’t pay tax now and won’t be burdened with any responsibility for government spending in the future.

Not sure what you mean about the high effective rate, but not really relevant. People should always be responsible for their own obligations and debts. But I will never feel an ounce of guilt when the opportunity presents itself for me to legally keep my own wealth from government confiscation or when those same idiots choose to include me in their “handouts”.
    You '... pay multiples of $10k federal tax each year' but you don't understand what an effective rate of taxation is? :@ya:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How, exactly, does a "means" test work in this scenario? Because I a) chose a degree with a good ROI, and b) responsibly managed my budget so that I could pay off my own student loan, does that mean that I don't meet the "means" test, and therefore should have to bear the tax burden required to give away money to those who acted less responsibly, and therefore meet this "means" test?

I'll take a $10,000 below-the-line tax credit. At least, that way, I'm just getting to keep my own money that I earned myself.
    I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the $10k if it happens, but I'll continue to push against loan "forgiveness".

Seems to me like "means testing" would just result in those who did the least with the opportunity to go to college getting the largest benefit. Same old welfare system. Make something of yourself and be saddled with the expense of those who refuse to.

BTW, I'm through using, or acknowledging, the term "less fortunate". That implies that economic status is based solely on luck. By and large, it's not.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Joe always will have the relationship with his buddies in the credit card companies too consider. Getting lenders to take hair cuts on debt can get too fashionable and the woke might demand it on their credit cards.

Top Bottom