• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    So i gave the stock the Acetone bath last night and scrubbed the old glue off with a wire brush...ill let it dry another day and get to work on in sometime this weekend :rockwoot:

Question though: I picked up a 1/4" oak dowel rod. The problem I see is that the stock is probably only 7/16-1/2" thick at best...should i be worried about cracking when i go to drill the dowel holes?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you are good with a drill 1/8th of an inch on either side should be enough. If you are concerned opt for something a bit smaller. better to error on the side of caution with this one because you don't want to have to fix your fix.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    So after 2 failed attempts, the 3rd time was definitely the charm...my 2-piece stock is now whole again! :rockwoot:

I ended up using a 3/16" dowel rod, cut into six 5" long dowels that i chucked up into my drill (or mini lathe :):) and sanded the tips to a slight point and cut a spiral groove down the length. I spread the wood epoxy on all of the broken surfaces, wrapped strips of rubber between my dowel holes and clamped it up. I coated each dowel with a bit of epoxy and worked them in...let it dry and sanded it clean.

I turned out pretty good in my opinion...but all i care about is it is functional again. The dowels blend in pretty well but the repaired cracks are obvious...oh well, it will give it character. Im leaning towards a dark walnut stain with a few coats of linseed oil as the finish, unless anybody has any better suggestions.

Thank you guys for all of the advice :ingo:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Ok, so here are some quick pictures i snapped at lunch...sorry about the size, it was giving me issues trying to upload the pictures

Overall
    RepairedStock1_zpsd4649d0a.jpg

Left side, bottom view
    RepairedStock3_zps70000b99.jpg

Bottom view
    RepairedStock2_zpsa45fd837.jpg

Right side, bottom view
    RepairedStock4_zpsa73a5e8d.jpg

Left side, top view
    RepairedStock5_zps300f075e.jpg

Right side, top view
    RepairedStock6_zps887a404a.jpg

Left side view
    RepairedStock7_zps26791163.jpg

Right side view
    RepairedStock8_zpse75815cb.jpg

Attachments

• RepairedStock(3).jpg
      RepairedStock(3).jpg
      644.8 KB · Views: 3

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have one of these too. I inherited from my Dad before he passed. It never did work right, jam-o-matic. I had it worked on so Dad could shoot it before he passed. He never would come out and shoot it.

Anyway, from what I gather it is par for the course for these to fill the stock with ammo if you load it with the chamber open? Mine does that if you load it with it cocked. I have to dry fire after the las round. Then it seems to work ok.

they are very neat guns, of course I may be biased from the sentimental value.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Ladies and gentlemen....i present to you the revitalized 1953 Savage/Stevens Model 87B!! :rockwoot:

StevensModel87B_1_zps03dacf0b.jpg

StevensModel87B_2_zps33777c7e.jpg

StevensModel87B_4_zps3be8e85c.jpg

StevensModel87B_6_zps7fafe161.jpg

Repaired cracks on the right side
    StevensModel87B_5_zps3e1cbc39.jpg

Repaired cracks on the left side
    StevensModel87B_3_zpsdebea734.jpg

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    The stock turned out very good, congrats!

Thanks...its still obvious that it was repaired, but it looks pretty d*** good considering it was in 2 pieces before.

And thank you for the lead on parts from the Numrich website...the left extractor was broken so i ordered one from them, should be here early next week and then i can sling some lead :ar15:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Thanks...its still obvious that it was repaired, but it looks pretty d*** good considering it was in 2 pieces before.

And thank you for the lead on parts from the Numrich website...the left extractor was broken so i ordered one from them, should be here early next week and then i can sling some lead :ar15:

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Well i finally got the replacement extractor on Saturday and got it installed...that officially wraps up the restoration.

Now i just need to get my hands on some .22 to test it out...its killing me right now, i dont even know if this thing will cycle at the moment.

Once i can pick some up, ill put a few rounds down range to test functionality before i invited the old man out to be reunited

Top Bottom