... spent 5 hours on a ride-along today.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've had one or two less-than-stellar interactions with a police officer, but that was many years ago.

I just spent 5 hours with an officer, and learned a lot. It was a very positive outing. He picked me up at my home, and I enjoyed the morning a great deal. We made arrangements for some range time, and he never mentioned the fact that I was openly carrying. I ride in the afternoon/evening tomorrow with a different officer.

Ride-alongs put a bit of a different (positive) slant on things.... try it if you get the chance.

+1

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've had one or two less-than-stellar interactions with a police officer, but that was many years ago.

I just spent 5 hours with an officer, and learned a lot. It was a very positive outing. He picked me up at my home, and I enjoyed the morning a great deal. We made arrangements for some range time, and he never mentioned the fact that I was openly carrying. I ride in the afternoon/evening tomorrow with a different officer.

Ride-alongs put a bit of a different (positive) slant on things.... try it if you get the chance.

+1
    Pretty cool. If he had asked why you were carrying you could have told him the same thing that I told an officer when I had to open the gate to my shop several years ago at 2:00AM to check a burglar alarm. "In case you get whacked I still have a chance." Did he let you play with the cuffs and make a siren sound?:D

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Did he let you play with the cuffs and make a siren sound?:D

No. In fact as I got out of the car, he thanked me for not "being one of those folks that wanted to play with the handcuffs, emergency lights, or siren". :D

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Was your ride along with Indy Metro, County or ???

How do you arrange for a 'ride along'?

Sounds very interesting...

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It was with a local officer. Contact the department head, and ask. Some departments will allow it, and some will not.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Good grief... when a cop does something that is perceived by a select few as being anti 2nd Amendment, that select few are the first ones pissin' and cryin' about it. Then when a cop does something in support of the 2nd Amendment, some folks **** and moan about that too. It's gotta be tough bein' a cop.

See, the issue of carrying during the ride-along was discussed Friday, and the Police Chief volunteered to check with the city attorney, to see if there was an issue he wasn't aware of. Nothing further was said. Does the Indiana code address the issue? I couldn't find anything.

I really intended this to be a positive thread, but it seems some folks just cant tolerate that.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    On a few ridealongs with the MCSD (now IMPD), carrying was not allowed per the officer I rode with. He indicated it was their internal policy, and even though we were college friends, he said it was not worth him getting fired over if it was ever discovered that I carried while on a ridealong. He did say that he didn't want to know if I did or did not, and he didn't want to see it.

I chose NOT to carry, even though I probably could have pocket carried.

TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Good grief... when a cop does something that is perceived by a select few as being anti 2nd Amendment, that select few are the first ones pissin' and cryin' about it. Then when a cop does something in support of the 2nd Amendment, some folks **** and moan about that too. It's gotta be tough bein' a cop.

See, the issue of carrying during the ride-along was discussed Friday, and the Police Chief volunteered to check with the city attorney, to see if there was an issue he wasn't aware of. Nothing further was said. Does the Indiana code address the issue? I couldn't find anything.

I really intended this to be a positive thread, but it seems some folks just cant tolerate that.

I'm not sure anyone is pissin' or cryin' about it. (at least, I know I wasn't when I first asked the question) I think what you are seeing here is more of a genuine surprise they allowed it in the first place. I'm guessing we all thought they would come up with some reason to not allow it.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm not sure anyone is pissin' or cryin' about it. (at least, I know I wasn't when I first asked the question) I think what you are seeing here is more of a genuine surprise they allowed it in the first place. I'm guessing we all thought they would come up with some reason to not allow it.

My post that you quoted was not directed at you, and I truly hope you are correct. :patriot:

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Glad you had a positive experience. I've done many rides with state, county & city police across Indiana. Two departments had a strict 'no' policy, the third defers to officer discretion. The particular officer who eventually allowed me to carry did so after getting to know me after 2 or 3 rides and various non job-related interactions (friend-of-a-friend hangout sort of things). This particular officer became a good friend and was comfortable enough with my competence and judgment to allow it.
    I've yet to encounter a situation during a ride along while armed where I was anywhere near needing to use it, but just like any other waking minute I prefer to know it is there just in case - particularly when riding nights.

Top Bottom