• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

We'll see how he does, and how conservative he is very soon.

I'm going to wait and see before I give him a bad grade. I have no confidence in him at this point. I hope he changes that.
    Right now he looks to be a big spender, big government guy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

We'll see how he does, and how conservative he is very soon.

I'm going to wait and see before I give him a bad grade. I have no confidence in him at this point. I hope he changes that.
    Right now he looks to be a big spender, big government guy.
    What exactly should he do to get a good grade? (Not great, just good.)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As a conservative he needs to lower spending. That's a start. Right now he's going along to get along.
    Another case of republicans cannot agree on anything. All the hand wringing over spending is like worrying about fuel economy on the Titanic. Nowhere near the top. The invasion of our country is the top issue, bar none.

The speaker needs to use tools none of us like to get the border secured first. Then we can discuss the next steps which DOE is a huge topic. Get that agency shut down and the fiscal comes along with it as does not fighting stupid wars…

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What happened to the promise to return to regular order? Have all the committees completed their budgets and ready to submit to the full house for a vote? That is how you avoid these giant omnibus bills. It isn’t by whining and bitching like a bunch of little pussies.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In all fairness,there does need to be a little bit of reality applied to the situation.

Speaker Johnson had little time to work through 12 actual Bills. That was realistically never going to happen in the time left. If he simply allows the government to be shut down, the left is the winner of a propaganda windfall.

Short CR's to keep things nominally running until real budgets can be negotiated are I believe a reasonable outcome.

His actual performance will be in what those negotiated budgets actually look like, and next year's Bills. If They resemble the CR's then nothing was gained by changing speakers. If they begin to pull back then something was gained

This is much Like the hand ringing regarding his comment on the Biden Impeachment. Frankly what good would it do? There are not enough votes in the Senate to convict.

Half a dozen Ukrainians could stand on the senate floor with their hands-on a Bible swearing that Biden personally picked up a multimillion-dollar check for very specific quid pro quo and you couldn't get a conviction in the senate.

This nation doesn't need another dog and pony show for a media which doesn't care.

What we need are actual empowered special prosecutors, Charges of treason, corruption, convictions, and executions. I'll get excited when they ask me to donate wood for the gallows to hang those who sold out the United States of America by committing treason, bribery, and violating the enumerated rights of it's citizens.

Impeachment Is a political tool. There is more than enough public evidence of criminal behavior to cuff and stuff a bunch of this administration for criminal activity. That is where the effort needs to go.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Speaker Johnson did what was necessary, and was correct in doing so. If the government were to shut down, the only winners would be the leftists who would get a propaganda windfall. In the end, it would serve no purpose and would harm Republicans significantly in the next election.

The House needs to pass the 12 spending bills and then put it in the Senate's court. Honestly though, the best we can realistically hope for with a Dem Senate and a Dem president is "not spending even more than last year". If they can get that, it would be a small win.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Speaker Johnson did what was necessary, and was correct in doing so. If the government were to shut down, the only winners would be the leftists who would get a propaganda windfall. In the end, it would serve no purpose and would harm Republicans significantly in the next election.

The House needs to pass the 12 spending bills and then put it in the Senate's court. Honestly though, the best we can realistically hope for with a Dem Senate and a Dem president is "not spending even more than last year". If they can get that, it would be a small win.
    Johnson did want was necessary to keep the Democrat's happy. Every penny they ask for is included. That's why Chuck was all for it.
    I guess they can continue using this excuse for all bills coming up over the next year.
    If we take a stand we'll look bad to Democrat voters who will never vote for us.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Spoiler: the correct INGO answer is "shut the government down, drain the swamp, and burn it."

Anything else is just playing around :joke:
    I have no issues with this solution. Many government jobs can be eliminated. Laying them off for months will show the ones we can eliminate.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I have no issues with this solution. Many government jobs can be eliminated. Laying them off for months will show the ones we can eliminate.
    I agree. Our government has gotten way too big. Time to shed some weight. If we need to live within our means. Is it really too much to expect our government to do the same?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes. We should let the government shut down, record who are declared 'non-essential' and sent home and then make the condition permanent - because after all they're 'non-essential' (not really needed)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That is never the way it works. They lay off the ones that actually do the people’s work like park rangers shutting down national parks, ruining folk’s vacations, Social Security staff so seniors get their SS checks and so on, they sure as hell are not laying off the swamp. They are considered essential…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is never the way it works. They lay off the ones that actually do the people’s work like park rangers shutting down national parks, ruining folk’s vacations, Social Security staff so seniors get their SS checks and so on, they sure as hell are not laying off the swamp. They are considered essential…
    Yeah, last time they shut down some popular venues to **** people off at Republicans.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Johnson did want was necessary to keep the Democrat's happy. Every penny they ask for is included. That's why Chuck was all for it.
    I guess they can continue using this excuse for all bills coming up over the next year.
    If we take a stand we'll look bad to Democrat voters who will never vote for us.
    Not quite. They didn't add any of the "new spending additions" the Dems also wanted. The Republican's don't have enough power in the current government to do anything worthwhile. The Dems control the Senate. The Dems control the Presidency. And the Republicans have only a tiny majority in the House. Their choices are "keep the status quo for now" or "destroy themselves instead by shutting down the government".

When there was a shutdown in the past, it badly harmed the Republican party and actually didn't accomplish any goals. The Dems will make sure to "shut down" the things that are visible to people (e.g. the National Parks) and give the Republicans a PR nightmare, which translates into a slaughter in the next election. When things are "shut down", it doesn't just make Democrats angry. It makes almost everyone angry as their lives are badly disrupted, air travel is disrupted, vacations are ruined, etc.

Top Bottom