• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Stream of Consciousness here...Look Out (No Particular Order)

1. Where is the help? There is an immensely complex set of thoughts around a very simple problem. If an officer needs help, help him. We can what-if this thing to death and in our litigation-happy society, very few people would risk jumping in. We see it with people getting beat down on the street with witnesses, a girl being raped in the middle of a crowd, etc. I don't have an answer, but we all need to have an answer in our minds about whether we'll jump in and under what circumstances. Mindset Labs coursework helped me make my own decision and built my own personal set of rules on when I would enter a problem and when I wouldn't. Find a way to get a set for yourself.
    2. I don't think it's feasible to get all cops to a high level of grappling. I've heard some really high level guys (both high level in BJJ, high level in police, etc) talk about depth not breadth. Police training may be a good place for this. Lets not even take the time to get them all to a blue belt level...but lets take the time to make sure they know the positions. If they end up on the bottom in mount, they know some things with absolute confidence.
      1. The pros and cons of the position
      2. What the pressure feels like and how not to panic
      3. Goals to improve position
      4. What tools work here, and which ones don't
      5. How much danger they are actually in.
      6. Others (I'm sure)
      Even if you only teach them a single mount escape, spending a huge amount of time there will make sure they don't panic and waste their gas on the wrong things. Spending hours on simple things like "turn into him" could pay massive dividends even if they are never able to pull off a berimbolo. Same applies to standing grappling. Same with striking. Don't learn 5-punch combos. Learn how to jab and cross without breaking your hand, and how to cover yourself if you're taking shots. Learn simple footwork that you can default to if you take a shot and see stars...know that movement = life. These types of things are the things that I'd like to see police learn.
    3. As much as I love Rener and Ryron for their enthusiasm, their police stuff isn't their best work. I'm sure their seminars and classes are fun, and if you went there with a partner you could pull things off, but I'm not sure it's feasible to make a standard across all police.
    4. Let's get physical standards pushed back up (even if that means bumping salaries, etc.) If you can't chase a suspect for X yards, or fight for your life for 30 seconds then we have a problem. I think as a group (the public) we should make this decision. You don't have to be fit as a marine, but you should make most of the suspects think twice about running or fighting.
    5. For the readers of this...it's amazing how fast you can blow all your strength and gas doing the wrong things while grappling. Anyone who has started grappling is either in this phase or has passed it...if you have never grappled you don't realize how quickly you can't hardly move or breathe. Due to honest to goodness ignorance of the problem, you will be pushing and pulling when you shouldn't...panic...and give up. Everyone does it. Get some training or practice a little to experience this and start working towards getting past it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm in agreement with Rhino and to a great degree with ICP. As I age and the arthritis, etc. progresses, my options become more limited. Go to the ground? I am dead. All the more reason to hang out with ICP and Rhino. ICP will hold them steady so Rhino can get a good shot.

Seriously, as your training progresses as your age does, knowing your physical limitations is important. Being able to articulate those limitations and your reason for your response in an incident will be the key to your freedom.

Tried to REP., but I am OUT !!!!!

I am in the same boat !!!!!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    1. For the readers of this...it's amazing how fast you can blow all your strength and gas doing the wrong things while grappling. Anyone who has started grappling is either in this phase or has passed it...if you have never grappled you don't realize how quickly you can't hardly move or breathe. Due to honest to goodness ignorance of the problem, you will be pushing and pulling when you shouldn't...panic...and give up. Everyone does it. Get some training or practice a little to experience this and start working towards getting past it.

This is the truth.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If more people wrestled on the team in junior high school, they'd be better off regardless of what else they chose to do later in life.

Of course, fat guys like me and otherwise huge guys aren't allowed to participate in scholastic, AAU, or international wrestling anymore. That leaves judo, jiujitsu of all flavors, sumo, sambo, etc., but parents would have to hunt for it compared to just joining the team at school.

Which reminds me: if my parents had sent me to sumo school when I was about 10 years old, I'd be incredibly wealthy, retired, and still swimming in hot Japanese chicks now. I might even be less crippled than I am given the life I chose. There is truly nothing sadder than a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom