• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have loaded light to medium power 45 ACP 230 grain target loads for many years using Bullseye and W231. They both shoot fine but can be pretty dirty. I shoot mostly plated bullets and a few powder coated bullets. Does INGO have any recommendations for different propellents that burn cleaner in this cartridge?
    I actually use 231 often for my 185 grain match bullet loads. Also use AA #5 and VV N310 with very good results.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I run 6.0 grains of Winchester Super Field in my 45 ACP. That load works well with both 230 FMJ/JHP and 230 or 200 SWC or LRN or Molly coated
    I second WSF. I have used it in 45acp, 40 S&W, 9mm. All work well with Super Field and is really clean burning.

Longshot is another good one for clean burning powders. Both are ball and meter well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Academy Sports just opened in Lafayette.
    They had reloading components but no powder.
    I asked, and they said they intend to carry powder but we're having difficulty locating most all brands.
    They also said they are going to keep their primers behind the counter because they "tend to grow legs".
    Nice selection of loaded ammo.

Reactions: Leo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I second WSF. I have used it in 45acp, 40 S&W, 9mm. All work well with Super Field and is really clean burning.

Longshot is another good one for clean burning powders. Both are ball and meter well.
    Longshot is one of my favorite pistol powders. It's versatile, and you can get some good velocity out of it with many handgun calibers.
    It's been hard to find in my area since covid crazy days. I have been using CFE pistol, and AutoComp. I really don't care for AutoComp.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Longshot is one of my favorite pistol powders. It's versatile, and you can get some good velocity out of it with many handgun calibers.
    It's been hard to find in my area since covid crazy days. I have been using CFE pistol, and AutoComp. I really don't care for AutoComp.
    I have used Longshot for some long-range shotgun rounds with 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot going about 1385 fps. Never tried it for pistol cartridges. It looks like it's a little slower than AA#5 and WSF that I use and a little faster than the magnum powders. There might be some applications I could use it for, since I have two pounds of Longshot sitting around.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've used over 6gr of Longshot in my 124gr 9mm loads.
    Hornady XTP, RMR HP, and Hoosier Bullets coated RN. From the top of my head.
    I had decent loads worked up for 45acp as well, and you can use it for other calibers like the 10mm, 44mag 180gr loads as well as many more.
    I was storing my reloading information on my old cellphone, and lost a lot of my reloading data (Big lesson learned the hard way). So I can't give you the exact information on my loads. IIRC it was getting over 1200fps from a 4.5" barrel.
    Losing my data means I get to have fun working up loads again on the majority of my firearms.
    Reloading is my only hobby. I love to see what I can do with different bullet, powder, combinations with my handguns.
    Add brass, and primers to the equation for my rifles.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I second CFE Pistol! I’ve been using this “modern” powder and it is very versatile and meters very well. I, too, use it for .38 spcl, .45acp, .44 mag and spcl, 9mm, .357 mag, .45 Colt, because it is very clean burning and hits the sweet spot in my loads.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've been using W244 because I can find it everywhere
    I've found W231 pretty common as well. I have many pounds of it to go through. I use it for 9mm & .45acp. No complaints so far, as long as I do my due diligence while reloading.

I'm getting ready for Proteq June 3rd. I have a good start on reloads:
    IMG_4224.JPG IMG_4206.JPG

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    Clays seems to be one of the cleanest powders I’ve used shotgun or pistol I love the stuff however it’s impossible to find around here. Seems like years ago Reddot, blue dot, and green dot were everywhere as well haven’t seen them in awhile.

I have not seen any trailboss around but I actually use to load it a lot in 45acp it ran great out of my old colt 1911

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    231/HP38 has a decent load window. If you are dirty it needs a bump up. Check the data on it and see where your at.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yes if you are getting sooty cases from blow back or unburned powder flakes. Check your data and see where you ate at load wise.
    Your saying increasing the charge cleans it up/better burn?

I have pretty good results with 5.1 w231 over 230gr coated rn’s.

Top Bottom